Promoting our Great Hobby

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
My partner Bill Dickerson and I Denny Morrison have been out doing a little PR for our great Hobby.

We have given three talks about metal detecting already this year. This past week we gave two presentations.

I am including a picture of one of our presentations.

Anyone can do this great PR work. We have two more presentations to give this year, so far. Local groups we have talked to so far this year have included The Sons of the American Revaluation, a local nursing home and our last one a Methodist Church. We are scheduled to do a local Library in May and a tea at a Museum at a local county.

Everyone should think about promoting our great hobby, I know you all have great items hid away in shoe boxes, just laying there waiting to be shown to anyone who would like to look at them. Get some show cases and put your items in them, you will be so surprised at how much stuff you really do have.

It really does promote our hobby and my partner and I always come away with new sites to hunt. We are promoting the hobby and finding new sites at the same time.

HH all, and remember keep the coil to the soil. Ringfinder

P.S. I fractured my left wrist after falling on some ice a couple weeks ago. Hopefully by the end of the month or sooner I'll be detecting.

Attachments

• Denny & Bill at Wingate Home.jpg
    Denny & Bill at Wingate Home.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 503

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Good job. How do you find places that would like you to set up and show off your finds? Do you give some kind of lecture or anything or just answer questions from people looking ? I wouldn't mind doing one for our local historical society, but I don't have near that much stuff to show off.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are a class act! Keep up the great work. Tim

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Great job you guys, and THANKS from all of us on the great PR work for the hobby! I would love to be able to do the same thing once my collection gets bigger!
Sean

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Good job. How do you find places that would like you to set up and show off your finds? Do you give some kind of lecture or anything or just answer questions from people looking ? I wouldn't mind doing one for our local historical society, but I don't have near that much stuff to show off.

Well many people already know we give talks and show our finds about historical items found in the area. Sort of word of mouth, since we have given so many talks and shows over the years.

We have also given many talks at local schools and colleges. We also made business cards that tell about our hobby and give our names and phone numbers for anyone who would like a speaker for their club or organization.

I'd say, if I had a belt buckle like you have Gribnitz, I would definitely have something interesting to show. My parter shows a Officers belt plate he found here in NW Ohio.

Hope I answered some of your questions. Normally we don't charge a fee, but if clubs give us breakfest or dinner we will eat, LOL

HH, Ringfinder

S

sucr4science

Way to go on the MD PR. Nice spread in the photo, too!
-digr

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bill & Denny. That is such a nice display too. Kudos!

B

Big Diggin

WTG guys. The 2 of you sure know how to display your finds. It's great that this hobby has people such as yourselves dedicated to promoting it. I will try to promote this hobby around my area. It would be nice to have some "finds" to display. With work as busy as it is and my boys cranking up for Baseball, MD'in has taken a backseat for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, it is good to promote our hobby, I was asked to talk about Fossils & Rocks & Minerals at a local middle school, I gave each child a small Oklahoma crystal cluster, they were very intrested & seemed to enjoy it very much.

Fossis.....................

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
FinderFrank said:
A elementry school would be a great place , kids love treasure stuff!!! Good job guys.

Frank

You guys did a great thing! ;)

My partner Tony and I did this at an elementary school... what a blast!!! Talk about some great questions and those kids have stories about everything! Each child spent some time finding coins we planted for them... It was a blast!

Do NOT pass up this opportunity should you get it... ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
FinderFrank said:
A elementry school would be a great place , kids love treasure stuff!!! Good job guys.

Frank

You guys did a great thing! ;)

My partner Tony and I did this at an elementary school... what a blast!!! Talk about some great questions and those kids have stories about everything! Each child spent some time finding coins we planted for them... It was a blast!

Do NOT pass up this opportunity should you get it... ;D ;D ;D

Good Point, my partner and I gave a talk last fall to a Historical group we belong to and we brought extra detector's with us. We threw pennies in the air and had the members look for the coins. Two members bought detector's after the talk. One of the members is 84 years young who bought a ACE 250, said he can't wait for the thaw this spring to get detecting. I hope I can move at that age. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

D

doyboy

You dudes are truly awesome! I would rather not talk about my hobby with others. That means less competition! hehehe

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job.

My club is talking about giving free lessons on metal detecting to anyone in the area that would like to learn. Get them started right with how to use the detector, proper way to retrieve a target and all the do's and don't of the hobby.

My wife just informed me that our daughters pre-school is looking for people to come in and speak about their jobs or hobbies. I'm going to try to get some time off of work to do it. It should be fun speaking to a room full of 3 and 4 year olds. If I can make the time I figured I would speak for a few minutes show some of my more interesting finds then let them use a pinpointer in a small pool of sand with some planted coins they can keep when they find them. Most likely make them all some old wheat pennys. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
NJ

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ringfinder,

I am curious. Have you ever gotten leads or even permission to hunt a property because of the talks? I would think they would be idea for getting a conversation started with a potential hunt site owner or two.

Ed D.

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Great job.

My club is talking about giving free lessons on metal detecting to anyone in the area that would like to learn. Get them started right with how to use the detector, proper way to retrieve a target and all the do's and don't of the hobby.

My wife just informed me that our daughters pre-school is looking for people to come in and speak about their jobs or hobbies. I'm going to try to get some time off of work to do it. It should be fun speaking to a room full of 3 and 4 year olds. If I can make the time I figured I would speak for a few minutes show some of my more interesting finds then let them use a pinpointer in a small pool of sand with some planted coins they can keep when they find them. Most likely make them all some old wheat pennys. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
NJ

I would suggest you put your items in glass show cases, keep little hands from picking up items you would like to keep. You might put out some little cars you have picked up, maybe some jacks and kids stuff. They will really like to look at that kind of stuff.

You might talk about how you got started in the hobby. What you look for and you might want to take a detector with you and show how it works. Tell them what you have found and what you have returned to people.
Born2Dtect said:
Ringfinder,

I am curious. Have you ever gotten leads or even permission to hunt a property because of the talks? I would think they would be idea for getting a conversation started with a potential hunt site owner or two.

Ed D.

Yes Ed, we always seem to get some new places to hunt. People always come up to us and say, I remember when I was a kid, I used to play at an old picnic grove here or there and so on. We always take a notebook with us and take notes.

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

HH, Ringfinder

O

Ohio_Jason

Hey Ringfinder . I just bought a hancock county book of atlases . It has plat maps from 1863 , 1875 , and 1902 . They show all of the schools and churches etc . Down where your at is a little too far for me , but I have been laying out the north east corner of hancock county . Anyhow , if you need a copy of any of the townships from any of those years , let me know and I can mail them or fax them to you . I'm getting some serious cabin fever lol .

Jason

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job guys!!! I used to do this at schools as the kids didn't ask to hard of questions and the teachers liked the breaks.

Ditto on the free lunches or dinners. Helps too also have a inexpensive detector to demonstrate and let them play wave around. I always slipped a quarter in my cheek and had the detector sound off on it. Good for a laugh..

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really great! I would love to do something like that one day,but I got to get some good finds to show, doubt I would spark much intrest with my bottle cap, pull tab, and buckets of rusty stuff. Now if you wanted to discourage people from MD, then I would be your gal with my finds. Any way nice work and great way to open peoples minds about MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread