cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I did my usual 25 or so yardsales (about 15 on my mapped route & the rest I follow signs)

It is 12:45 PM and I am heading home hot and tired. I see a 2foot X 3foot cardboard sign two blocks from home. I slow down because it is blank. I get a lot closer and see "yard sale <----" in pencil and it is no more than 12" X 6" so I follow the sign and go up to what I think might be a yard sale. Nothing on the driveway or lawn but the garage door is open and things are on tables.

I walk up and ask if this is the garage sale and he says
Yes, you are my first customer :-\

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Yep. It drives me crazy when I see those foot by foot signs that people buy at the hardware store that say "Garage Sale" and have about an inch of space to fill in the address. Usually, they fill it in in pencil or a sharpie, and post it on a busy street. I've nearly caused many a rear end collision trying to slow down enough to read the address. By far, big letters, on a large day-glo green or orange sign with backing is the best way to go.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I barely even look at signs. I have my route planned the night before and if I do see a sign and it's not going to interfere with my time schedule regarding the other sales, I may check it out. That is, if it's legible and I can read it without causing a rear end collision or having to double back to get a re-look. I may be wrong but for the most part I believe if they didn't list their sale in the local newspaper or neighborhood rag (such as "The Flyer" around here) or post it on CL, then it's (probably) not worth my time anyway. I stress "probably" because there is always an exception to the rule.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hi, Dan. Just think of it as on the bright side you got first pickin's. I know, that is kinda like being the tallest midget in the room, but first look is first look. LOL Oh, and atleast you still have garage sales in Cali. I am jonesing here in Maine and I am only a month from my last ys. Think how I am going to be feeling by Feb. Guys like you and Diggum are the lucky ones right now, atleast in the way of garage sales. Have fun while we can't.

T.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
For me, the best signs are just date and arrow. Address is only good if you know the neighberhood. I pick solo so can't type into google and drive at same time.
With out date the sign could be from last month.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldinmypan said:
Address is only good if you know the neighberhood.
Do you know what is worse than a sign with only an address?

A craigslist ad with only directions starting at some far off location and no address.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
goldinmypan said:
Address is only good if you know the neighberhood.
Do you know what is worse than a sign with only an address?

A craigslist ad with only directions starting at some far off location and no address.
nope what is worst an this has happened a few times..is a yardsale sign with no address an it's a good 5 plus miles down a back road

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
nope what is worst an this has happened a few times..is a yardsale sign with no address an it's a good 5 plus miles down a back road

you win :'(
I give up following a sign if I have to drive more than a mile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread