Proof today

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job CC. Where did you learn to condition coins? I am thinking about buying a book on this subject because I may start buying some of the older coins and want to know what I am looking at.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks!

I have been collecting coins as a hobby (and also a little investment), but mainly for fun for a while. When I first started I read the "red book" completely through. It is a great book with info on coin collection, prices, everything. Universaly it is the most known and used.

Basically I learned to grade coins on my own. After school when going to the coin shop or a show I would have to know how to grade my own coins to make the right purchas. I also pretty much memorized the grading scale. (Dont force yourself to memorize it!!! It will come eventually!).

There are many aspects to grading. Not just the simple regular coin grading, but also proof coin grading, and currency. Toning is another important aspect. (coloration of coin from natural chemicals). I would reccomend a short book on this. In fact im looking into getting one for myself. I did some research online but its all a matter of preference.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

-CC

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coolcash2004 said:
Thanks!

I have been collecting coins as a hobby (and also a little investment), but mainly for fun for a while. When I first started I read the "red book" completely through. It is a great book with info on coin collection, prices, everything. Universaly it is the most known and used.

Basically I learned to grade coins on my own. After school when going to the coin shop or a show I would have to know how to grade my own coins to make the right purchas. I also pretty much memorized the grading scale. (Dont force yourself to memorize it!!! It will come eventually!).

There are many aspects to grading. Not just the simple regular coin grading, but also proof coin grading, and currency. Toning is another important aspect. (coloration of coin from natural chemicals). I would reccomend a short book on this. In fact im looking into getting one for myself. I did some research online but its all a matter of preference.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

-CC

Thanks CC.....Oh, if I have a question I will definitely ask you....lol. It is just like you said....if I want to purchase an old coin I would like to know for myself if I am making a good purchase. Thanks again.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I dont understand. Whats the question? (sorry im tired)

-CC

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Oh sorry. "IF" i have a question. Lol. Its late i better go to bed.

GOOD LUCK AND HH!

-CC

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find.
how the heck you get up before school to CRH. i cant even get up regular time for school.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This week sophmores have testing, Im not a sophmore. I DONT HAVE TO GO UNTILL 11:00 !!!!

THANKS!

-CC

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coolcash2004 said:
This week sophmores have testing, Im not a sophmore. I DONT HAVE TO GO UNTILL 11:00 !!!!

THANKS!

-CC
lucky!
when that happened we went in normal time and got out at 11:55

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread