Pros and Cons of Reverse Mortgage.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this and thought I'd share it.
Plus I'm filling a void of a MIA news poster.

Pros and Cons of Reverse Mortgage

Pros of Reverse Mortgages
Allows the homeowner to stay in the home.
Can pay off existing mortgages on the home.
Simple to qualify for because no minimum credit score and generally no income requirements.
No monthly mortgage payments are due for as long as the homeowner lives in the home and meets eligibility requirements for maintenance and paying property taxes and insurance.
The homeowner receives payments on flexible terms:
Credit line for emergencies
Monthly payments
Lump sum distribution
Any combination of the above
A reverse mortgage can not get “upside down” so the heirs will never be personally liable for more than the home is sold for.
Heirs inherit the home and keep any remaining equity after the balance of the reverse mortgage is paid off.
Loan proceeds are not taxable.
The interest rate may be lower than traditional mortgages and home equity loans.

Reverse Mortgage Cons
The fees on a reverse mortgage are the same as a traditional FHA mortgage but are higher than a conventional mortgage because of the insurance cost. The largest costs are:
FHA mortgage insurance
Origination fee
The loan balance gets larger over time and the value of the estate/inheritance may decrease over time.
Although Social Security and Medicare are not affected, Medicaid and other need-based government assistance
can be affected if too much funds are withdrawn (and not spent) in one month.
The program is not well understood by most individuals. However, the availability of independent reverse mortgage counseling helps.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dave ramsey says bad bad bad

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would think that if you had a house paid for,you would want to keep it that way.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ding ding, we have a winner!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is a government backed scam to remove private property from the private sector. Nothing more, nothing less.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had uncle that used reverse mortgage as he was running out of money and his SS was not enough. It paid him a monthly income through the remainder of his life and allowed him to live out his life in his home.....It worked very well for him

Please keep politics out of it...

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i was my only family,at times i feel as though i am,that would be great.id sell and move on though personaly.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had uncle that used reverse mortgage as he was running out of money and his SS was not enough. It paid him a monthly income through the remainder of his life and allowed him to live out his life in his home.....It worked very well for him

Please keep politics out of it...

No problem, I'll just not mention who is doing the financing and clarify my statement while I'm at it:

It is simply a scam to remove private property from family ownership. We can't allow property to remain within families for generations.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I'll just not mention who is doing the financing and clarify my statement while I'm at it:

It is simply a scam to remove private property from family ownership. We can't allow property to remain within families for generations.
No one forces a homeowner to do a reverse mortgage, it is simply a way for some people to tap the equity in their home to live out the twilight of their lives in a little more comfort... As I stated it work fine my uncle and neither of his 2 kids objected.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a friend that was thinking about a reverse mortgage, till he read the fine print. He said they made it sound as if he were a renter, except taxes and insurance were his responsibility. Any repairs or work done on the house would need the OK from the lender, also they would do annual inspections.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think in the case of both reverse mortgages, and annuities, the worst time to do them is when interest rates are low. One reason there has been renewed talk of RM's recently is because interest rates are really low...that favors the company financing the reverse mortgage.
Jim

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Chadeaux on this one. The only reason most people do it is because their pensions got tossed and their wages were too low to save any money.

Ever notice that most of these scams that take money form the worker bees originated in the mid 80s?

How are those interest rates on CDs and savings going lately?

StoneDogg1

Greenie
May 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the way i look at it...

I have a mediocre home in a bad neighborhood where I am liked (safe haven for folks in need). Life (though having a well paying job) has stepped in and dictated that I can only afford to stay here (wife's medial bills, paying kid's college, etc...), rather than move. I'm content in my home. My kid will not want it (& if he did, I'd talk him into a better place). My wife (to my sorrow) will probably pass before me. I'm saving for retirement - to live well & still have enough to help others in need - and have 20 more years to continue saving. Why not get "free money" while I'm alive & retired and remove the (home) estate burden from my son? The reverse mortgage is a nice option for me. Maybe not so much for others.

Luckily, God has provided for all of my needs and given me the ability to help others as well. The RM is just another little option for me later in life.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No one forces a homeowner to do a reverse mortgage, it is simply a way for some people to tap the equity in their home to live out the twilight of their lives in a little more comfort... As I stated it work fine my uncle and neither of his 2 kids objected.

TH, I didn't say there is never a case where it can help.

What I said is that it is a scam designed to remove property from private ownership.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
My dad probably would have lost his home if not for the reverse mortgage. His situation was caused by bad choices and kinda getting scamed by a so-called friend. With out typing a four page response, I think that the reverse mortgage can be a good thing in certain situations.

VPR

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the way i look at it...

I have a mediocre home in a bad neighborhood where I am liked (safe haven for folks in need). Life (though having a well paying job) has stepped in and dictated that I can only afford to stay here (wife's medial bills, paying kid's college, etc...), rather than move. I'm content in my home. My kid will not want it (& if he did, I'd talk him into a better place). My wife (to my sorrow) will probably pass before me. I'm saving for retirement - to live well & still have enough to help others in need - and have 20 more years to continue saving. Why not get "free money" while I'm alive & retired and remove the (home) estate burden from my son? The reverse mortgage is a nice option for me. Maybe not so much for others.

Luckily, God has provided for all of my needs and given me the ability to help others as well. The RM is just another little option for me later in life.

Like I said it worked for my uncle, it is not something I personally would use just like I would never use a variable interest loan to buy a home, but it works for some people, especially older folks who want to remain in their home and do not have enough income coming in to live on comfortably. My uncle out lived his savings, he refused more help from his kids and extended family.

He got $800 and some odd dollars a month till he passed, his estate got a lump sum when he passed after the loan, interest and fees were paid on sale of the home.

Reverse mortgages are repaid in several different ways. In addition to the estate of the deceased, heirs to the reverse mortgaged home can also repay the loan in full if they wish and keep the home, reverse mortgage lenders often give heirs from three to 12 months to repay the loan.

If neither the heirs nor the estate repay the loan, the lender typically repossesses the home sales it and settles the loan, funds left over after loan is settled goes to the heirs or the estate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread