Prospect refining with a #50 screen classifier

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently I classify my material using a 1/8" and then a 1/50" screen. After the #50 screen, it turned out I had a lot of grey/yellow sand leftover. My goal is to classify out this sand and be left with only black sand and Gold dust.

Does anyone have any experience with the 1/100" or 1/200" screens? Or does anyone know of any better method for getting only the black sand + gold dust concentrates? I would like to purchase a #100, but I would like to ask here first.

20161005_142938.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to pan it down, classify with your 1/8 mesh then pan it to get the blond/light sand off,
then screen with 20 mesh, pan the gold out of the plus 20 then you can screen the minus 20 down to 30, 50, 100 mesh...
you can then use a finish pan, blue bowl or miller table if there is enough gold to be worth it otherwise,
save it up till you can run it later and go get some more material, it all adds up...

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently I classify my material using a 1/8" and then a 1/50" screen. After the #50 screen, it turned out I had a lot of grey/yellow sand leftover. My goal is to classify out this sand and be left with only black sand and Gold dust.

You can't classify out the blond sand as it comes in all sizes too. You need to completely change your way of thinking on this. Just classify to ½" or 4 mesh, then either pan or sluice to separate the heavies from the blonde sands. Then take your heavies and just run them through the 50 mesh. This video will help, it's old and I made it after a friend passed away, but it teaches and shows the separation.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing you can do with already concentrated material, save buying smaller mesh screens, is simply pan smaller quantities at a time (tablespoon or so for example). That said the use of fractional smaller size mesh screens is always a good thing! If you don't have a huge amount of concentrates then a set of 4 to 6" screen/sieves will suffice and Pioneer or Camel Mining make them and are available from numerous prospecting supply stores (Black Cat Mining is one).
Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Panning is sorting the materials by specific gravity. Nothing more, nothing less. It is most effective when everything in the pan is close to the same size. This is why there are like 10-11 different sizes of classifier screens out there. You can go smaller than 100 mesh, but the equipment manufactures don't make them so you'd have to build your own.

My way of doing it is as follows:
First I classify my materials down to run through the sluice. With my recirc system I only have to go to 1/2 inch. Run the materials and then I clean out the cons. From there I usually drop it down to a #12 screen and run all of the cons through it. Anything that doesn't make it through the screen gets panned down real quick. I repeat this process always panning what is left in the screen, NOT what makes it through it. I do this until I hit the 100 mesh. Pan what's left in the screen and then pan what made it through. This is a quick way to make sure that what your panning is close to the same size and it seems to make the clean up process go faster. Classifiers are not expensive and by having all the sizes out there and using them correctly you will save a lot of time as well as prevent yourself from loosing gold while panning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread