"Prospect"

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was checking out a map of an area I am prospecting that has shown some promise, and noticed there was an "X" in the same area. I had missed it earlier as is blended in with the contours. I happened on the area myself after following a gulch where their had been a couple of other prospects. what I am wondering is if an "X" on the map means that anything was actually found there. I know sometimes that there is a mine shaft associated with the "X", but that is not the case here. It would be nice to know if anything was found there. I know that the creek below has not been a big producer, but there have been some decent Lodes in the area and the next two gulches have had gold in the creeks, one of them was one of the best gold bearing placers in Montana. Anyway, if someone could tell me specifically rather than generally what an "X" means, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you sure on X? My maps here in CA use this to designate claims and/or mines.
images.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, it might be crossed picks, but it has the word prospects on it so I know it a prospect site. I just wasn't sure exactly what that meant. After talking to the BLM mining guy, he told me that it just meant someone prospected there, it could be as simple as someone digging a small hole or more complex like a mine shaft. He told me it does not indicate whether or not anything was actually found there. So basically I know that someone, a long time ago thought the place was worth checking out. I also know that since then a lot of erosion has taken place and since it is shale and quartz, a lot is exposed that they never got to see. Definitely worth my time to check out, imo.
Are you sure on X? My maps here in CA use this to designate claims and/or mines.
View attachment 796544

OP
OP
L

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, but the X is usually for the top of a hill, This was in a valley, so it would not have one. Looking closely, I am not seeing the cross picks, but I have seen it on my other maps. Either way, the word prospect pretty much gives it away, lol.
X on some of my maps is prospects and elevation.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience that X equals exploration/coyote holes (i'm looking),and the crossed picks means sustained effort/a named mine.
(found "something").

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lucky Gator

May 10, 2013
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. I did notice that the "X" for elevation makrs and for prospects are distinctly different. The ones for prospecting are bigger, and longer from top to bottom, while the elevation ones are smaller and the length and width are equal.
In my experience that X equals exploration/coyote holes, and the crossed picks means sustained effort/a named mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread