Prospecting 52 miles of river.....

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you dont see much of is all the hunting and digging that goes into actually finding a good dig site. Most videos out there show the big piles of gold people get. But they never show how much work it took to find that spot. A prospector can spend weeks and months looking for a site. For the last month, we have been hunting and hunting so we decided to hit a new river and work it from one end to the other. Over 12 hours of testing. At least we got to see some beautiful country!

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried for years to find gold on that river, only time was threw mossing. Although on a nearby river I found nice gold and silver. As for that old mining town, I here they are opening it up again, been up there many times back in the late 1970's. Maybe I will see you up on the Sky, going to be mining the honey hole too plus some other places.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried for years to find gold on that river, only time was threw mossing. Although on a nearby river I found nice gold and silver. As for that old mining town, I here they are opening it up again, been up there many times back in the late 1970's. Maybe I will see you up on the Sky, going to be mining the honey hole too plus some other places.

According to the Herald, its going to be "Closed for dozens of years". Kind of sucks because I have never even been up to the town just to look at it.
Cleanup under way to resuscitate Monte Cristo ghost town | HeraldNet.com - Local News

We are still trying to find someplace decent to set up a new dig site.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
End of May the trail opens up again to Monte Cristo according to the FS, good luck finding a place as good as the Sky.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Monte Cristo is lode territory for sure and I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find any placers. I have seen listed two gulches above Monte Cristo that say they have placers but I can't see why. Very steep young, I would just be looking for quartz float with gold.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The material mined at Monte Cristo was Galena and iron pyrite, same as Mineral City, lots of arsenic, that is why they closed down Monte Cristo and did a cleanup of the area. Over 7million $ mined out in the late 1890's. The ore is played out. The place you should have concentrated on was Silverton. Also one thing about the Stillaguamish, it has changed course many times, if I were to go back there I would look for the old channels and test that, remember the source is mined out so you need to look at the old channels. Imagine finding something the old timers missed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread