Prospecting Abandoned Mines

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So this is actually two different questions.

First, and more importantly, how do you get to where you can safely explore abandoned mines (provided you determine they satisfactorily sound). Is this something you can learn from books? I don't suppose you can take classes for this specifically, but I'm sure modern mine safety applies as well. Unfortunately, I don't know any sourdoughs that could show me the ropes.

Second question: Once inside said mine, for whatever reason abandoned, where would you look for ore? When I've seen videos of people doing this, it seems like they're always chipping off rock from the sides of the tunnels. It seems to me that miners would not just leave ore exposed in tunnels and that to find anything you would want to go all the way to the end perhaps. Hardrock mining is somewhat mysterious to me still but I would really like to understand it on a better level than "following a vein".

I'm more interested in old mines for their mineral collecting potential than for actually doing any hardrock gold mining but the same principles apply and it wouldn't be bad to find some gold along the way either. If I ever found substantial visible gold in the rock though, I'm sure I would be easily swayed.

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
First, don't take any samples from the top of the tunnel so you don't kill yourself.
If you are planing to visit old abandoned mine tunnels, then you need to be aware that most of them are by now filled with water to some level. You are not going to get to the end of the workings in most places. If you are in an arid region you are more likely to stumble onto a dry tunnel. As for the ore it is unlikely to find any visible ore minerals in the tunnels for these are the first to be mined. In old copper, lead, zinc tunnel mines it is more likely to come across ore minerals, as these old mines worked only the highest grade due to profitability. You might be able to find some interesting gangue minerals in all tunnels. It is far better to seep trough the mine dumps near the entrance. Commonly, some of the good ore get cast out by mistake. Most old mines stopped working once they have run out of profitable ore. Smaller number stopped working on account of sudden large fluctuations (drop) in the price of the commodity they were extracting, these might contain workable ore at some level and some nice mineral specimens. Plan accordingly.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've maintained my msha certification since the late 1970s and I've entered many active and rehabbing underground operations over the last 40 plus years. The one thing they've emphasized in all the training I've taken is to never enter an old abandoned mine. You can find enough online about the consequences and the results of people going into old mines. It's not only dangerous for the person who partakes in doing this, but also puts great risk on anyone who needs to come to your rescue or recovery. There's just so many unseen hazards in old mines, it's just not worth the risk. I'd say if you wanna find mineral specimens search the old tailings outside under the sunshine. There's a lot of cool rocks to check out in those piles. If you do choose to go exploding down old rat holes, please consider the amount of life insurance coverage you have, as that might protect the ones who depend on your livelihood and your ability to work and support them. Some of the saddest things I've seen is a father who's been killed in a mine accident and the aftermath of the family he loved going on in life without the man who loved and supported them.

This link describes the activity of mine exploration and the hazards to be aware of. I wouldn't go in any old un- ventilated mine without a dräger multi gas detector.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_exploration

Last edited:

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Besides the back caving in on you(roof) your main danger is stepping into a winze(inside shaft)...it is sweet to dance to violins,it is delicate and rare,to dance to flutes and dance to lutes is way beyond compare..but it is not sweet with nimble feet to dance upon the air.....and then there's poison air.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies. The more I think about it, the more I can get behind “stay out, stay alive”. As I mentioned, I’ve only been interested in the idea. Part of the reason is there is a person or small group of people known as northwest underground explorations that regularly goes into old mines here in Washington. Maybe I’ll get to see the inside of a mine that’s actually taken care of sometime.

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to get underground, I would connect with your local "Grotto" or caving club. They primarily go in caves, but sometimes have crews that survey mines for bats and often work with BLM or land owners.

https://caves.org/

For anyone that does do work underground, you can get a used-but-in-service MSA Altair 4X on eBay right now for a good price. Lots of mining companies have been upgrading to units with WiFi capability. You can also rent them by the day or week from safety places.

Where you are, the mines are going to be wet and nasty and I wouldn't try entering most of them.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
While I no longer wander into abandoned mines due to various health issues, I once did. The important thing is to assess all possible hazards, and how to mitigate the associated risks. Mitigating risks can be something as simple as taking a satellite phone with you to notify people back home when you are about to do something potentially risky. It could also mean something more involved such as getting trained on proper ropework or wall climbing. As long as you have the forethought to prepare for potential problems, risks can be minimal.

Even today, when I explore rural Nevada ghost towns and mining camps, I appear overprepared to most observers, even though I do not take the same risks I did 20 years ago.

Time for more coffee.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Going in is easy its the gettin back out sometimes that gets ya
Be in good health know your limits.
Best advice from me,
Stay Out Stay Alive....
Sucks to be the guy needing rescue.
Gt.....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to explore abandoned mines but can not recommend it to anyone new to underground.
Read the above posts and take heed.

There is just too much to know and you cant teach experience or the voice in your head that warns you to stay out or get out.
Bad air is a silent killer, by the time you feel the effects it's too late, odds are against you getting out alive.

If you decide that you really want to explore abandoned mines and are willing to accept the risks, then find someone with lots of experience to go with and realize that even then there are no guarantees.

Some mines are way more dangerous than others depending on the geology and or condition of the timbers. Buy the best safety equipment you can afford and if you get the sensation that something is not right listen to it. Also If I hear any strange noises I'm outta there.

Hidden dangers are the worst, lots of things can get you, ladders that are rotten, even a cave-in from talking too loud. Not to mention, snakes, spiders, scorpions, rabid bats, even hantavirus from breathing dust contaminated with infected rat feces or urine.

Also steer clear of any old explosives you may find and I mean clear. Be on the lookout for weak or false floor, even booby traps depending on the mine or what may be hidden there. There are plenty more dangers like getting lost, getting injured, etc. but I don't want to scare you. :tongue3:

If you do find a seam along the ribs (walls) with visible gold or if the working face has any visible gold make sure you bar the back down around that area before doing any work. Also if you happen to see gold in a rock column that was left for support just leave it alone.

I cant wait to get back to a mine I've been prospecting since last year, but when I do go I'm like galenrog from the post above, I'll be overprepared and wont go alone. Plus my first of kin will know where we went and when I'm supposed to check in.

Truth be told I have found as much gold, if not more, outside abandoned mines than inside depending on the mine.
Inside, dont over look the ore shoots, ore bins, floor. Outside, dont overlook the mill site and assay dump.

I could tell you more but I need to keep some things secret.

Go for the Gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these videos after making my post above, they are pretty good and made me realize that I can still learn something new even at 70 years old.......
One thing I learned was that I had forgotten that I had already watched them before. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Wvmountainman

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2020
kanawah valley wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im from wv so its all we do here, you gotta have respect for any miner. its no joke, going a mile under ground silica dust ...explosions... I've seen some guys not experienced miners get hurt going in them, there ******s stealing copper.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple videos of exploring abandoned mines, the first one is the Widow Maker Mine in Nevada. It will make you cringe just watching.
You would not catch me going in half the places that my crazy acquaintance Jeff goes into in these videos.

These vids are not for the faint of heart......................

If you liked that video you'll love this one......

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a bad experience as a youngster with a raft a river, flood tunnel and the tide coming in, have never gotten over it and don't really like being under ground.
There would have to be mucho yeller for me to go exploring or old some bottles !
Gt .....

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Owen. I am friends with Vic and the guys that write those books. Have done lots of exploring on Blewett Pass with and without them. I also have hard rock claims and know of a bunch of tunnels up in the area. Most are fairly solid and interesting. Working with a friend right now digging out the old Tip top tunnel.You can get a hold of me if you’re ever gonna be up in that area I can show you some stuff. Yes you do have to be careful and make sure you’re watching as you go. But I know of many that are safe to enter if you want to see if you

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodguy mentioned the assay dump. I suppose an assay dump is where they might take out a sample of ore to be assayed as it comes out? How can you recognize this dump and where might you usually find it? Do you just need to know what the ore looks like as opposed to the waste? Also, why is there so much ore still found in the waste dumps? Does that just depend on what the miners considered to be worth processing and poor sorting perhaps?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodguy mentioned the assay dump. I suppose an assay dump is where they might take out a sample of ore to be assayed as it comes out? How can you recognize this dump and where might you usually find it? Do you just need to know what the ore looks like as opposed to the waste? Also, why is there so much ore still found in the waste dumps? Does that just depend on what the miners considered to be worth processing and poor sorting perhaps?

I will pm you because I do not want to put it out on the web.
Probably should not have let it slip out to begin with.

*PM sent

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as the mine dumps go there are many reasons to find ore with gold in it.
It may be that at the time the ore was not considered rich enough to send off to the processing plant.

The cost to haul ore and process it made sending only the highest grade ore the most profitable.
And as you guessed some higher grade ore was just overlooked when sorted.

Problem is, it's very unlikely you will find any ore with visible gold in it.
You will most likely have to take grab samples and have them assayed to see if the ore is worth processing or not.

Or you could crush samples on your own and do your own fire assays if you are willing to learn the process.

It helps to find USGS reports on the mine in question to see exactly which minerals were being mined and in what host rock they were associated with.
That will tell you what type ore to look for in the dumps.

You should also find at what percentage per ton the gold yield averaged.

Hope this helps,
GG~

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as the mine dumps go there are many reasons to find ore with gold in it.
It may be that at the time the ore was not considered rich enough to send off to the processing plant.

The cost to haul ore and process it made sending only the highest grade ore the most profitable.
And as you guessed some higher grade ore was just overlooked when sorted.

Problem is, it's very unlikely you will find any ore with visible gold in it.
You will most likely have to take grab samples and have them assayed to see if the ore is worth processing or not.

Or you could crush samples on your own and do your own fire assays if you are willing to learn the process.

It helps to find USGS reports on the mine in question to see exactly which minerals were being mined and in what host rock they were associated with.
That will tell you what type ore to look for in the dumps.

You should also find at what percentage per ton the gold yield averaged.

Hope this helps,
GG~

That would be half the battle. The other half is finding a cost effective liberation point to recover the gold. That's were the fun begins and your equipment gets dictated.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be half the battle. The other half is finding a cost effective liberation point to recover the gold. That's were the fun begins and your equipment gets dictated.

Hopefully the gold is free milling and 2.5 g/t or better :icon_thumleft:
1.5 g/t minimum

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread