Prospecting Alaska

Stickman411

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
Im heading to Alaska next month and was wondering if anyone knows of any good pay-to-pan or public prospecting areas. I'm trying to avoid the tourist traps where they teach people to pan for seeded gold in a tub. I pan, sluice and bought my own dredge this year and really would love to get out on a creek or river someplace for the day. I'm doing the whole cruise thing (I know, touristy) but I live in Seattle so its really the cheepest way for me to get up there. I'll be spending a day in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Thank you for any insight you might be able to give me.
John

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Alaska for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.)...

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I don't know those places, but if you are on a cruise ship I would assume your time will be limited (I have never been on one so not sure) & no transportation so those places may be all you get.

OP
OP
Stickman411

Stickman411

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I know there are a few public places in Skagway. I guess I'll just have to grab a cab or something to those. I think I've got 12 hours there so I should have lots of time to dip a pan. Sounds like most of the tours just take you there and show you how to pan, so I'll go on my own and save some cash. Love to find a little AK color.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a couple of National Parks in Alaska which allow panning (amazingly enough!), you can find them via the NPS website or via google. Your cruise ship may run buses out to one of those??

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Creek runs right thru dowtown Juneau and some locals pan there, easy to walk to and the walk up the valley into the mountains is beautiful. alan

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you come to juneau cope park is within walking distance from the docks might take ten minutes to get there. gold creek runs right thru it some of the best bedrock on the creek is on the otherside of the parkinglot its been hit really hard but theres still gold in it. from there you can work your way up into the basins trails run all along the creek.

OP
OP
Stickman411

Stickman411

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's perfect! Thank you so much for the info. Someplace close and legal to do a little panning on vacation. I can't wait! Now I have to decide if I can fit my sluice in my luggage. Lol. Much appreciated friends!

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no problem also you can sluice the lower end of the creek up to the confluence of the flume above that its pans shovels and classifiers. ive found most of my chunky gold right at the park and above the tourist trap panning area. we mostly have dust and small flakes with the occasional match head picker. have fun send me a pm when your a day or two away from coming up here and maybe I can make time to go out.

OP
OP
Stickman411

Stickman411

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be great! I sure will. Thank you!

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know i was too busy to meet up with ya in time while you were here but if ya get a chance post a pic. wish i had of came out while you were here. i havent gotten a chance to do any digging been busy and lazy. you just so happend to show up a day or two before a hard rain btw. the creek is still up allot higher than when you were here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread