Prospecting Clubs???

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
So I think I'm at the point in my prospecting journey where I need to get a boost. I am still learning plenty with each trip, gold in the pan or not. Yet, there's only so much that you can pick up by yourself or lurking on Tnet. And I've done plenty of that in the past 9 months believe me!

Has the time come for me to join a club? I'm not sure why but I cringe at the thought of a prospecting club. Maybe I'm picturing it to be something that it's not. I just really want a buddy or two that I can prospect with, and learn from. Anyhow, if I do decide to join a club, which one??!! I live in an awkard location as I'm not living in the hills.. I'm just another "flat lander" that folks that live in the hills are usually not too fond of lol. Am I best off joining a club around auburn or mariposa?...or something closer? Any recommendations, suggestions, or offers would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should start with the GPAA because they have a lot of claims in every direction from where you are. They have some really good claims up in the hills and then also some that have been worked to death. But there are a ton of great people who you will meet and it is a good place to start.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're always down there at Bass Pro and then the grand kids are in Turlock. The family came up here from Aqua Fria a few generations ago. Hornitos is another good local area. There's good gold down there close to you.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clubs, local independents and national (GPAA), give you directions to, maps and access to their claims when you join. I like the idea of a club local to the area you are interested in. No real need to socialize if you don't want to. Just follow their rules. Access to claims add a lot of options to where you can legally prospect and can give you clues as to areas where you may find other prospecting opportunities.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
SOHR, I belong to a club based in Stockton called the Delta Gold Diggers. You can find them on internet and FB. We meet the first wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm at the Eagle's Hall in Stockton. It's a great group of people with several years experience in prospecting and treasure hunting. We have a monthly outing at one of the many club claims or public access areas. Come on down and join us, you wont be dissappointed. We have several newcomers every month. Once you become a "member in good standing", 3 meetings in a six month period, you can access the club claims on your own. I personally have found good color on their claims.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up the local GPAA chapter in your area and find out when and where they hold their meetings. Most chapters will allow you to go to a couple of meeting and in some cases an outing or two before you join. That will give you a chance to see if it is something you want to do or not. There are also some clubs that while affiliated with GPAA do not require you to join GPAA to be part of their group. So check into all the clubs you can find in your area and I'm pretty sure that you'll find one that is to your liking.

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
SOHR, I belong to a club based in Stockton called the Delta Gold Diggers. You can find them on internet and FB. We meet the first wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm at the Eagle's Hall in Stockton. It's a great group of people with several years experience in prospecting and treasure hunting. We have a monthly outing at one of the many club claims or public access areas. Come on down and join us, you wont be dissappointed. We have several newcomers every month. Once you become a "member in good standing", 3 meetings in a six month period, you can access the club claims on your own. I personally have found good color on their claims.

I am coming to the meeting on the 7th. Just moved back to the Mother Lode from L.A. and am back at it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delta Gold Diggers rock,great NON PROFIT smaller local yokel clubs MUCH better always as why enrich rich executive types(not miners) as profit based GPAA is NOT same as days of old-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread