Prospecting In The Himilayas.

Scout4it

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

I just stumbled across this forum while doing some field study for my first ever treasure hunting project.

Next week I am flying out to Nepal. I am basing myself in Kathmandu to start with, I am there for 2 weeks, but will be moving around a few provinces during my entire stay.

The object of this visit is to lay down a blueprint for the next stage. My partner and i are both first timers, and we have no hands on mining experience per se, but have studied so much in the past couple of years that I feel we are somewhat armed enough, or should I say 'primed enough' to at least have a feel around.

We are primarily going for placer gold prospecting. There are so many untapped areas among all the sites that have already proved both economical and sub-economical. It is a prospector's paradise. But we have not ruled out precious and semi-precious gemstones should the geographies seem too obvious.

The single most challenge is that the geology of the Himalayas is so dynamic, that the topography is constantly shifting. But just the idea of exactly why the Himalayas exists in the first place leads me (and others) to think that there must be an absolute fortune sat there. Thing is.... The area is so damn vast 400KM x 2400KM (including the foothills). We are spoiled for choice to locate virgin sites where we can lease.

Permits and leases are easy to acquire, the Nepalese Government and geographical department is eager to have its mineral resources exploited by foreign investors. The country is one of the poorest in the world, and up to now seems apathetic in its own recovery initiative. There are a handful of Chinese companies moved in, but nobody seems to have had too much success, mostly because of the inaccessibility of most of it. This could be a contributor to our own future failure. But it is better to try and fail that to go through life never knowing.

We will firstly use word of mouth, we already know where all the gold is currently coming from, so we know where to head for. We will hire a couple of guides to act as interpreters and bloodhounds to gather local knowledge, then we will do a little panning, detecting, still wondering whether to try and acquire a highbanker. If we are successful. We will leave and pull together a more well seasoned and experienced team if we deem it viable before returning to do a phase 2 prospect. Especially if we spot very promising signs of possible gemstone presence, then we will be bringing in an experienced geologist if we can find one.

Even if we draw a total blank, then at least we would have had a fun 2 weeks tramping around the Himalayas and will enjoy our flight around the summit of Everest.

Would love to know if anyone has already been there and done that, and if you have any particular tips or advice. Would be gratefully received. Or even if you haven't, then still feel free to comment with your gnarled and grizzled wisdom :)

Or better still, if you are a fully qualified geologist specializing in precious and semi precious gemstones or precious ores, then feel free to PM me if you would like to possibly take a shot at the phase 2 prospect.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wave: Welcome To TNET! Sounds like you have quite an adventure ahead of you. Good luck, and hope you are successful.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next week? Welcome to the net. You are sorely lacking in "trip planning" if the geologist is not yet on the payroll. According to the Nepal Mines and Minerals, only two placer mines have been licensed. Neither went to full production. Good luck! TTC

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
We will firstly use word of mouth, we already know where all the gold is currently coming from, so we know where to head for. We will hire a couple of guides to act as interpreters and bloodhounds to gather local knowledge

I wasnt going to mention this but I thought I would have mercy.Word of mouth reaches everybody,eventually,especially in small communities.Up to and including those who will kill you for the change in your pocket and make you disappear.If you spread around what youre looking for,people will start checking you out.Most likely the wrong people.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'evening James: Coffee ? I agree, and further i'll mention that they don't have to go to Tibet To duplicate their goal. Simply come to Mexico and go to the lower center of the Sinaloa Cartel territory in Durango, and I can direct you to many many very rich placers. Of course you may have the same small problem keeping both yourself and the Gold intact !.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I am curious if they have given any serious considedration to the logistcs of operating in Tibet ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scout4it

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'evening James: Coffee ? I agree, and further i'll mention that they don't have to go to Tibet To duplicate their goal. Simply come to Mexico and go to the lower center of the Sinaloa Cartel territory in Durango, and I can direct you to many many very rich placers. Of course you may have the same small problem keeping both yourself and the Gold intact !.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I am curious if they have given any serious considedration to the logistcs of operating in Tibet ?

Its Nepal, not Tibet, and Tibet is now CHINA :)

OP
OP
S

Scout4it

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to Nepal 6 times. I know the score. It is probably more dangerous talking about gold mining in the USA or UK than it is in Nepal. It's a lot safer than you think. The people there would be more interested in getting work in the operation, than slitting our throats. You do know that guides over there are armed anyway, and there are no reported bandits that operate like they do in places that you are comparing it with. If you have 30 or 40 workers in your camp, and some of them armed, do you think that they are going to let someone just stroll in and take away their livelihood?

You people have really got to stop being frightened of every country outside your borders. Believe it or not... lots of them are actually better and safer than the one you feel safe in now. Never let fear rule your life. I been to 23 countries to date, including backpacking through Africa, man.... you got to put your fear to one side and just do things in life rather than trying to put off other people, when you don't actually possess the knowledge to inform accurately.

OP
OP
S

Scout4it

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next week? Welcome to the net. You are sorely lacking in "trip planning" if the geologist is not yet on the payroll. According to the Nepal Mines and Minerals, only two placer mines have been licensed. Neither went to full production. Good luck! TTC

Hmmmm....

This trip has been planned for months.

We don't need a geologist yet, this is a field study to narrow down to 2 or 3 places for closer inspection. The geologist is really only needed if we identify possible precious gemstone sites. There is a lot of fold activity in the Himalayas, it is premium geological real estate of rubies and sapphires. If we took on a geologist now, we would be dragging him/her around pretty aimlessly, and i suspect comments like, 'why didn't you come here and narrow it down first'??

The two licenses were granted to Chinese companies, and one is still trying to make a profit, and not yet upscaled, they only invested $80.000 in the project so far, the other company walked away from it to extract Nepal's natural gas instead. They are a big mining company, who identified it as being a good plan B I suppose.

Nepal is so rich in mineral resources and pretty much untapped. You name it, they have it. Logistics is the big bone of contention. The land is so mountainous that everything is difficult. But that never put off the old miners tramping up to the Yukon and Klondike back in the day, did it? Now we have jeeps and landcruisers and things :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd evening scout4it: You posted-->

You people have really got to stop being frightened of every country outside your borders. Believe it or not... lots of them are actually better and safer than the one you feel safe in now. Never let fear rule your life. I been to 23 countries to date, including backpacking through Africa, man.... you got to put your fear to one side and just do things in life rather than trying to put off other people, when you don't actually possess the knowledge to inform accurately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not going to argue with you but yes Tibet was a booboo, I was simply in a hurry and reflexively typed it. It IS in the Himalayas the last that I heard of. However I must suggest to you that you relax a bit. Most are giving what they think is helpful advice, including me.

I am a dully elected member of the Explorers club. This was earned for explorations from the Gobi, Ole China, the Pacific basin, and finally to the Yucatan /Quintana Roo area looking for Mayan ruins, which included living off of the jungle for 6 months, then into unexplored Barrancas of north westrn Mexico where I had two unwelcome incidents with bandidos, I am still here , nuff said..

I doubt that you will find any of us that responded to you as armchair hunters or prospectors etc. in fact I have found several lost Jesuit mines in Mexico and presently own 3. I also live in the edge of the region that I mentioned.

So, as I said don't be too defensive and accept sggestions in the manner in which they were suggested.

I personally, would be the last person to suggest no adventuring or explorations, in fact I encourage it, but with one's eyes wide open.

Don Jose de La Mancha

.PP1.jpg .pp2.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread