Prospecting on your own

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I go out by myself 95% of the time. I carry bear attack spray incase a bear/moutain lion/bobcat attacked. The stuff shoots 40 feet and has a belt holster. I'm told Jack Hanna stopped a bear attack with it. I feel safe with it.

I also carry a backpack with a bottle of water, matches, knife, etc.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i dont do this going out alone anymore,im to old and beatup. going out alone without a good gun in bear country isnt very smart! even with bear spray!

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau said:
i dont do this going out alone anymore,im to old and beatup. going out alone without a good gun in bear country isnt very smart! even with bear spray!

Thanks for the confidence boost lol... :|

I'm not in bear country but mountain lion territory. They have stalked people here in the past. I think they killed or relocated the one that was stalking people. I really fear seeing one... Even know people here see them all the time.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend a lot of time in the forest with my dogs. I finally saw a mountain lion last fall. He didn't want much to do with us thankfully. Bears are more active at night. I see tracks all the time but they are scarce during daylight hours. Its those damn rattle snakes I now hate after my dog got bit lsat spring. All you can do is be aware and bring adequate protection. If you spend you life in fear part of you is already dead.

Get out an enjoy-

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i used to go camping a lot on my own, would stay out for days, even when i gave some one my itinerary, they would get all worked up worried call for rescue, i would meet them on the trail have a good laugh

know your compass or take a orienteering course

Dogs, i can't emphasise how important dogs can be

I bring a water filter, i have a sweetwater purifier. this way i carry enough for the hike and then use spring water for the rest of camping

small firstaid kit for backpacking, Surgitube is a must, its tubular gauze. Benadryl for dogs as well, bee stings. I also carry two larger kits in the truck one for the dogs and one for humans.

Eucalyptus oil and almond oil 50/50 mix great for dogs keeps fleas and ticks off, works for skeeters too

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago... maybe 20 years or so.....myself and two of my hired hands were walking up from a lower level to the top level of a commercial placer mine I owned and operated in the Northern California Sierra's ...since we were surrounded by moving dump trucks, ..water truck..a very loud generator..plus all the noise of the shaker screen, trommel and so on....it was rather noisy...never felt the need to wear a weapon around the mine itself... for defense against animals....

Just as were walked to a point where we could see all they way across the top level, where the fuel and water tanks were located.... a rather big cat jumped down from between the fuel tanks...and immediately we were about 50 feet away and eye ball to eye ball with no guns on us...as were in a very active and noisy place.... once the cat made eye contact with us...the cat dropped down as close to the ground as it could get... it's ears went back flat against the back of its head...and the tail started snapping back and forth as if it were really pissed off.....and I'll never forget the look in its eyes....they seemed to bore a hole right through us...it was a spooky and intense moment ...

Soon the cat got up, gave a wide birth.. walked around us.... stopped at my pickup and smelled the bumper and wheels...and further down within 3 feet of the operating generator and further off into the woods...

We often saw tracks in the spring time but it was the first time being face to face with a big cat and not having any way to protect myself or others...but I can tell you with great certainly.. on that day, that big cat was in total control of the situation....it was probably a good thing there was 3 of us...if only one of us had bee there, the story may have had a different ending...

As we walked on further.. a medium, sized rabbit came out from under one of the fuel tanks and began to lap up water from a small puddle left by the water truck that had recently gone through there...

It seems we interrupted the cat chasing a quick meal...

I have many stories of interaction with the bears and only this one cat meeting... but have probably a 100 stories of bears.. never have been hurt or even felt really threatened for more than a moment or two......

Klondike...

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I havnt had any bad encounters but I always bring my 38 Special or 12 gauge with 00 buck just in case. Ive heard stories of hikers being followed by mountain lions in the area around my claim. The guy with the claim above mine said one night he was sleeping in his tent when he suddenly heard a cat chasing a deer just down the canyon. It caught and killed it and that deer screamed like no other. Scared the crap out of him.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I too bring a dog. We have bad folks down here along the border that don't mind taking your toys leaving you a crumpled pile some place.

12 gauge within reach .

Something to think about. This is 1/4 mile from were I gold pan some times. http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/06/24/us-usa-cougar-idUSN2436680520080624

If your up north, something else to think about!

grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lived in Alaska for about 20 years, and have had numerous large animal encounters. Obviously, since i am able to still type this...none of those encounters turned out ugly. About 15 encounters with bears and 12318273173182371 moose encounters. Just be prepared, and generally make a lot of noise to warn them. 95% of the time the animal will avoid you. Dogs truly are mans best friend, though and can be just as valuable as a gun. I am now running around in South America prospecting, and we have jaguars and all kinds of wicked venomous critters. Just use common sense.

That sign rocks.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mu50stang said:
How often do you go prospecting by yourself, and if you do what items do you take with for protection.

A good pair of running shoes :laughing7:

bear.jpg

Seriously though, I pretty much always go prospecting alone except for my two friends.....Smith & Wesson :icon_sunny:
I've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life. Been involved in many close calls, that's part of the thrill of adventure.

GG~

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Compact .45, My Pitbull, gold tools, food (tightly sealed in air sealed containers) and plenty party favors as well!!!

Enjoy, but be careful....a few to many drinks in the woods alone at night can lead to one lost and cold prospector!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was working the washes here by our house I went out alone all the time. Once in a while I'd bring the dogs with me. Nothing says don't mess with this guy like a trio of Rotties beside him. We're smack dab in the middle of a major drug trafficking area and Border Patrol practically lives on our property at times.

Now that our work site is about 100 miles away, we've turned it into a family thing. We leave the dogs at home, but bring the 9MM in their place. Of course we bring the usual safety items as well. First Aid, bite kits etc etc etc.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just make sure my partner is slower than I am.......

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from a rutting whitetail buck in the Fall or the occasional Cottonmouth we don't have many dangerous critters here in Indiana, and prospecting isn't common enough here to attract the attention of two legged weasels. If I did feel the need I'd pack my .38 Special, or Ruger LCP .380 auto. Whenever I explore new places I carry a small pocket pouch of survival gear such as a space blanket, multi tool, whistle, and fire starter. I also carry a filter bottle for drinking, it's full before I leave, and allows for stream drinking if I run out. Cell phone is a must in case of emergency.

laurenB

Aug 24, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
V3i, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bring a look of surprise .. so I am ready to get of of a ticket for not having a permit.

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Generally .40 cal kitty spray (para ordinance 1640) and a good walking stick. I like to whistle to myself and I walk a little heavy. No dangerous animals encountered prospecting or hiking that way yet. Hunting though, now there's another story. And gotta get me a good dog, I miss having that kind o friend around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread