Prospecting Sultan, WA

ShimpZD

Aug 15, 2013
King County, WA
I went fishing in gold bar and on my way back I barely had tike to get a 5 gallon bucket of gravel and dirt from Sultan creek. The next day (today) I ran it all thought my sluice. I cleaned it out 5 times during the process. I panned the concentrates each time I cleaned the sluice. I saw maybe 2-3 micro micro specs. I attached a few pictures of my set up. Any tips or advice? Does anyone know any places in WA I might be able to find some color?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140102_163337.png
    ForumRunner_20140102_163337.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 245
  • ForumRunner_20140102_163347.png
    ForumRunner_20140102_163347.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 302
  • ForumRunner_20140102_163358.png
    ForumRunner_20140102_163358.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 221
  • ForumRunner_20140102_163414.png
    ForumRunner_20140102_163414.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 194

jpc8636

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Eagle River, AK
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ShimpZD I just moved up to AK from WA. I never prospected there but my inlaws talked about how they new people who have found gold in Pend Oreille and Stevens counties. I believe most of the gold is pretty small.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, first all the air mixed into your water flow is going to steal your gold. Second, what made you think you needed to clean out 5 times when you only ran one bucket of material? Third, have you done some sampling around or how did you decide which material to bring home? (If this was easy, I'd be writing this from "my" beach which I ain't got)

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your going to have to find a lot of gold just to cover your water bill. Put that thing in a creek.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, yeah it looks like your sluice is setup for clean up jobs and not for buckets of material. I would personally pan the 4 pans of material than the hassle of sluicing one bucket for gold. Sluice cleanup for one bucket is not worth it. Cleanup of a sluice after 10 buckets is worth it.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Olney Creek above Gold Bar will usually give up some color if you are in that area of WA. The mining store in Gold Bar, Prospector's Plus, has outings and classes at Olney fairly often. They also have a very active club with several good claims for the use of members. Just remember they operate on a for profit basis. A bit pushy to make sales for my tastes but I did learn from the outings when I first got started.

OP
OP
ShimpZD

ShimpZD

Aug 15, 2013
King County, WA
I've only done this a few times as you can probably tell. Now I know not to clean out so much. (A lot more work than I needed to do...) I will have to try some other places around gold bar. I asked some locals at a coffee shop and they told me of a place they got some color. Ill fill 2-3 buckets next time I go up.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've only done this a few times as you can probably tell. Now I know not to clean out so much. (A lot more work than I needed to do...) I will have to try some other places around gold bar. I asked some locals at a coffee shop and they told me of a place they got some color. Ill fill 2-3 buckets next time I go up.

Olney is public and open for any one. Take your sluice and run the buckets thru it there. Then you can do a cleanup and just bring the concentrates home to pan. I can't tell from your photos if you have a slick plate before the expanded and carpet. If not you should have one with a ramp to prevent water and cons from going under the carpet. Do not sweat having the latest and greatest mats etc right now. Get out there and get some experience and have FUN!

You also will need to have a copy of Gold and Fish with you while prospecting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions