Prospecting the PNW

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first time I picked up a pan was the summer of 2020. I was about to go on a backpacking trip in central Idaho, and I knew the place had a rock mining history. So I bought a pan, watched some videos on YouTube, and set off to learn how to do it. When I finally did see that first color in the pan, I was hooked.

It’s been a few years and I have got a little more experienced. As well as spending hundreds of dollars some pocket change on equipment ;-)
I’ve been wanting to start a journal of sorts, and figured I’d do it here. I can share my experiences with others getting started, and seek some advice from those that know way more than me.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
first post will be about a small little crush I did. I had read about an old prospect, and finally hiked up to it and grabbed a few rocks from the dumps outside of it. most had nothing, but a few had a showing of the ultra fine flour gold. That type that you might see a piece or two with the naked eye, but when you push it all into one spot, you can see all the yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpeg
    IMG_6167.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 42

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the more common rock material that is in your area containing some values. Some will follow this type of bread crumb trail in the rocks to fine larger amounts.

OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to TN ! Try posting your stories / experiences in the "Prospecting Journal" in the forum section so that you can save them !
You make a great point sir! All the recent activity has mostly been on this section of the forum, and I didn't think about looking at other areas to post.
Is it possible to "move" this over there without just creating a new one? I'll play around with the forum functions when I've got the chance. aka if my kids allow me some free time

OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I finally got around to cleaning up some panning tailings from a little flood deposit. It was an interesting spot, where the river decided to throw out a bunch of trash from its depths. When walking along the shore, you could spot all the nails, bullets, and sinkers at the high water mark. For cleaning it up, it rewarded me with a few pickers at least!
In the pan, that’s some of the lead smaller than 1/16” pain in the butt to clean up.

I’m pretty much done prospecting for the year, as I’m now on a work trip to Japan. And as far as what I could find, there are a few places it’s okay to pan here, but they’re not close to where I’m at.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5175.jpeg
    IMG_5175.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been having a good time exploring around Japan. But the fever still hits every now and then, and I've been filling up a water bottle with sand from various places I've been. A beautiful mountain stream, and some black sands on a beach. Nothing to write home about but been fun to see what kind of heavies are in these places.

The mountain streams are very interesting, as they built up these things that look like dams all over the place. There isn't a reservoir behind them, just rocks. My best guess is for some kind of erosion control. The amount of effort it put into these, and the hiking trails, is mind blowing.

The beach sands are very shiny and crystalline. Nothing like what I've found back in Washington. Not even a micro dot of gold under 20X magnification. With the geology here, I'm not surprised.

I'll have to be patient for the Christmas present I bought myself that is waiting at home. 25lbs of ore from MBMM's mine up in the Cascades :D

Attachments

• Kannonzaki beach.jpg
    Kannonzaki beach.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 19
  • nabwari.jpg
    nabwari.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just noticed that photo isn’t showing…. So I’ll try again. The entire beach was black sands. But only a few specs out of a pint of sand.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.jpeg
    IMG_5213.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not gold, but other earthly treasures. For Christmas, Santa gave me a bag of rocks! From one of those sapphire gravel places in Montana. A couple might be big enough for cutting.

PS, anyone know someone who cuts gems in western Washington?

Attachments

• IMG_5209.jpeg
    IMG_5209.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 13

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not gold, but other earthly treasures. For Christmas, Santa gave me a bag of rocks! From one of those sapphire gravel places in Montana. A couple might be big enough for cutting.

Some senior centers / community collages will have a place for cutting rocks and can be a good place to start.

OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some senior centers / community collages will have a place for cutting rocks and can be a good place to start.
I hadn’t thought about that avenue.
I had considered talking the local gem club and see what community equipment they have. I’m just not sure I trust myself to do a good job.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hadn’t thought about that avenue.
I had considered talking the local gem club and see what community equipment they have. I’m just not sure I trust myself to do a good job.
There is always someone that can do the job. Check it out.

OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a feeder stream? That would be a natural sluice. Perhaps figure out where to dig in there? And then look around upstream for the source.
There is a stream, and it would take jumping over a fence, or swimming in the ocean to get to it. And since this is in a foreign country that I can’t fluently speak the language, I’m not jumping over fences 😂
Trust me, I thought hard about it.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Find a used faceting unit. They're not super expensive, and teach yourself to facet. It's not rocket science. That's what I did, and I've turned out some nice gems.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread