Prospecting the PNW

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first time I picked up a pan was the summer of 2020. I was about to go on a backpacking trip in central Idaho, and I knew the place had a rock mining history. So I bought a pan, watched some videos on YouTube, and set off to learn how to do it. When I finally did see that first color in the pan, I was hooked.

It’s been a few years and I have got a little more experienced. As well as spending hundreds of dollars some pocket change on equipment ;-)
I’ve been wanting to start a journal of sorts, and figured I’d do it here. I can share my experiences with others getting started, and seek some advice from those that know way more than me.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll

Sep 20, 2023
Bremerton, Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was a bit early for the season, but with the stresses of work and life, I couldn't miss an opportunity to get away and spend the night in the mountains. It was still very cold at night, but very worth it.

So I packed up the truck, and took the dog up for a scouting mission. Wanted to find out how much snow was left, and how far we could get up the road. Was able to drive up further than expected, but not as far as I had hoped. Was also able to scout out a few promising looking spots to look for gold this summer.

What caught my eye was some bedrock that forces all the river through a small gap. Just downstream it widens out, and water slows down dramatically. I had found similar situations in the past that had left a nice flood layer. So question of the day:
When you're scouting a new area, what kind of things do you look for when decided where to start testing?

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • snicker.jpg
    snicker.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread