Prospecting to me

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With all debate on mining and such I figured I would share what prospecting is to me.. For a bit now I have been prospecting/mining fulltime. My Family has no real mining history mostly farmers.. My brother introduced me to prospecting one weekend after just recently being introduced to it himself. In the beginning we were out every freaking weekend it didn't rain.. Pans spoons and screwdrivers...That was our kit.. We had my Grandpa's keen sluice box as well. Though I will admit we rarely used it. Cleaning cracks and scraping them out . It is funny but for the first few years we never even used a snuffer if we couldn't pick it up and drop it in the vial it went back "to the gold gods" as we call it. About 5 years we did this. All this was done one could say Recreationally" As the years moved on my brother and I noticed we had somewhat of a knack for finding gold.. Not only finding it but reading it to a degree of sorts.. Our screwdrivers gave way to chisel's . Our rock hammer's gave way to sledges. We got a snuffer. Around 4 years ago my brother flipped over his first rock one wall just solid gold dust. The next day the big hammer came out and we walked away a Third of an ounce. Not only were we finding the gold we were learning how to best exploit it. We both decided to go fulltime with prospecting. My brother did it for two years and now he is back at his old job.. I still work at it. Prospecting for me is not just a job it is my way of life.. Do I expect to be a Billionare.. NO!! though I will admit anything is possible. I enjoy the fact that I rely only on myself. Independent. I do something that challenges me Phsyically and also mentally. I work in a environment I enjoy.. And truthfully it goes beyond the gold.. History old junk piles places long forgotten spectacular views ect ect.. All things I enjoy. For me I found something that made me independent.. No bosses to complain about. No lazy Co workers I no longer wish I was somewhere else.. Waiting for the hours to tick by. Now in all things one must compromise and make sacrifices.. For me I do not mind the lack of SECURITY a steady paycheck brings. I roll with the punches like in all things. Pretty much I just hope to find enough gold to pay for my next adventure.. Simple as that I guess. Some months are better then others but that is life , period! I have no Idea how much money it takes the next man for their lifestyle and wants.. Only me.. Even when I have extra money it all goes to the gas tank and trips exploring prospecting or whatever.. I am not very materialistic and will use something till it no longer serves it purpose before I buy a new one. Anyway me and others have found a LIFE we enjoy.. A Life we have a right to.. The intentions of a person whether it be to get rich or just to get by or even just the weekend warrior ect ect.. A mans intentions are his own. Personally it is hard to make sense of all the crap today. I just know that I have the right to do what I do. It's that simple. Now it is unfortunate that my Rights and so many other are being abused or called into Question. Anyway Gentlemen not just mining but so many other forms of an independent lifestyles and ways to earn a living thru other means then by a wage in Legal Tender have been attacked... It is what it is.. And the solution has yet to be found.. Though unfortunately one doesn't have to be a fortune teller but instead just look at history to see what oppression will bring. I choose not to change my life. I will adapt and overcome. I will work for better times!!! I will most certainly not Submit.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems that they're trying to put an end to the solo miners everywhere. I for one will not give up on doing what I love. It's a way of life that many do not understand nor do they make an attempt to do so. Of course people like that seem to fall into one of two categories. The first are the sheep that follow everything that the herd does and have never had an original thought in their lives. The second are the control freaks that want to run every ones life for them.

Well I am NOT a sheep, I think, I see what is going on around me and I try to live in peace with the world around me. Should they somehow manage to outlaw small scale mining, I will then be an outlaw. I will not give up my right to live my life how I see fit no matter what the rest of the sheep do. Until such as time as that the people of this country wake up and see what is being done to the country and its citizens nothing is going to change. If they do wake up and smell the coffee, then the government is going to find that they've woken a giant and he's more than just a little ticked off.

Mining is OUR CHOSEN WAY OF LIFE!!! Those of us that do this for a living don't put down others that don't understand it. Rather we try to explain it to them so with a little luck they will throw off their shackles of "modern society" and live how they were intended to..... FREE!!!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are spot on MM. Having worked "traditionally" for over 40 years brainwashed me. Made me forget who I was, where I came from, what I like or wanted out of life. All I did know was I HATED working and would live in a tent rather than go back to that way of life. Prospecting fills all the voids in me and am 100% while doing it.

And you are so right sir.
"I choose not to change my life. I will adapt and overcome. I will work for better times!!! I will most certainly not Submit."

I was an only child and pretty much a loner. I am very easy going and have a live and let live attitude. The words "Don't tread on me" pretty much sums me up, cuz if you do, rest assured it will be avenged.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well siad...
I have worked with a lot of people who just stand around waiting to be told what to do next and just can't seem to figure anything out on there own, very scary but there is getting to be more and more of this it seems
I have allways been one of those people who see what needs to be done and just go and do it.
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interupt those that are doing it...

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man,i would (like) all these twice if i could well put ALL!

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I envy those who can do gold prospecting as a living. Being out in the woods and in the fresh air always makes me fell good. Most people have to take pills and such to get rid of stress but all I have to do is go out side and down to the creek and woods.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This thread makes me a little emotional to be honest. It validates the energy and efforts of a lot of folks and serves as a pretty clear reminder of why we HAVE to keep fighting. Thank you gentleman, great way to start the day.
Gonna take the Missus on an overnight trip to Moke Hill to see some tourista sites and what not. Plan on stopping into pay a little homage to the 42 souls lost at the Argonaut in Jackson, and basically see where the rest of the day takes us. Thanks MM for starting this thread, heavy pans and may you always make beans at the very least, carry on brother!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I have worked outside most of my life and always considered a challenge as well as a blessing. I seldom did things like others and I was always looking for a better way. My job challenged me physically and mentally and I liked that part. I rose in the ranks with maturity and experience all the wile knowing something was missing. My work was always confined to someone else's plans and a predetermined set of materials and preferences.
After saying that I now can fully understand what mining means to me. Hope and freedom. The freedom to use all of my life experiences to succeed or fail. The freedom to define success or failure, and the hope to succeed on my terms. I'm not looking for the mother lode nor would I refuse it if found. I simply would like to survive with the happiness that comes with a job well done on my terms.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marshall,

It was nice to get to know you a little better though your post.

Is that an old mining camp you're videoing or is it a campground? It looks like it even has a piece of playground equipment (homemade) for kids to play on whatever the setting is. That old outhouse is pretty cool too.

Overlooking the river--that's a great shot of some old mining equipment!

Thanks for the shots of the buck as well.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need to teach that buck to use the toilet. He's polluting the water.

I wondered about that, but I guess he never got to attend finishing school, the poor, deer little thing.

All the best,

Lanny

carnet56

Jan 28, 2013
laurens south carolina
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know where u coming from mad marshel I used to rabbit hunt a lot had about 10 beagles at one time I would get the same filling sitting on a stump listen to the dogs run was great times. being outside does something to u and out where no ones at but u and natural us I always said a man needs 2 things a good lawyer and a good sniper rifle. us vets got s saying when in dout empty the hold clip

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally am sick of working to make someone else a bunch of money. I wish I could mine for a living and support my family the way they want to live, I simply don't think I can. I am however in the works to start my own business again. I said I'd never do it in Ca, but this is where I am stuck for a handful of years and so I shall do what I need to do, to be my own employer again.
Anyone in San Diego need any drywall, paint, or general remodeling?! Lol

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny
North Fork of the American River: Visit to Humbug Canyon
Awesome history/place for sure..

Seems a lot of us are working for the same goals we all just have different way of going about it.. Some will take the battle to the courts. Others donate money to groups who support their interests. And others will continue their lifestyle even when called a criminal despite all threats.. So many ways one can contribute.. All equally valid.. The fact that we know something is wrong is a good start. The fact is I am of the belief that they lost. It may take time and a great deal of hardship may never see it in my lifetime. But you can't destroy the "Ideas".

I like this song.. My brother using that rock to scrape the walls still cracks me up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread