Prospecting Trabuco Creek in the Santa Ana mountains?

Troy Palmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
Irvine, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been wanting to try panning/sluicing Trabuco Creek for sometime and wanted to see if anyone had any tips, spots or places to avoid? Can you find color without going to the end of the dirt road and hiking in (Parking lot for Holly Jim and Horse Thief Trail)? If you need to hike in- how far and which trail? I have been hearing warnings and story's about a larger than average snake population this year- have you had any challenges? It's that time of the year!
Thanks
Troy

Upvote 0

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really want to get to Trabuco Creek and do some digging myself.
I ran an Ultramarathon in this area a couple of years back and had the Mine Shaft pointed out to me.
The only things I have seen or heard of regarding prospecting are the following videos on "youtube".
Hope I can get up there one day and test the color. I am not to far from there but, Gotta get me a good sluice first. :)
Good Luck to Ya!!!
The Oak
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prospecting at Trabuco Creek 1/17/11
(slackmason's) Channel
Trabuco Trail Gold Mine Shaft
(Dr.Skorzy) Channel

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome video's. :)

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to say that it's probably not worth it, then I saw the video above. Still, the canyon was not known for gold mining. Silverado had a large silver mine that produced some gold as well.

I grew up at the base of Saddleback and been metal detecting out there many times. Was out there last Friday in fact. I was detecting at the concrete bridge at the beginning of the Cleveland NF, remember your Adventure pass. Didn't find anything, but that would be a good place to check since it is a 5-6' high solid concrete bridge waterfall. I don't see gold getting out of that area unless it's a major flood. It's totally dry right now.

I'd be happy to go out with you guys if your interested, but we have to be aware of the claims there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Troy Palmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
Irvine, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the feedback Oak and Mr Lee,
I'm going to head-up the next avaliable weekend after the first big rain storm if your interested. I have no idea were the spots that have shown color in the past. I figure you need water if you want to pan or sluice.

I also found this review on gold in Trabuco Creek:

Trabuco Creek Gold

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lets try to stay in touch. It would be cool if we could hook up & hit Trabuco at the same time. Pooling our equipment so to speak. My problem is I am short a sluice right now but I sure as hell have a pan, shovel and snipe pump. Not afraid to work, get dirty and usually end up wet if there is even a drop of water within a mile. Could be humorous.
Damn that almost sounded like a classified ad.
Let us know if you head up there and how it turns out. I might be available on Sun. 14th & Mon. 15th. Good Luck

nuggetgopher

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is gold, and few claims in the area you mentioned , Hit up HBProspector he owns a few claims near HorseTheif, he's on Gpaa or gold prospectors network he can fill you in on area

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, that place is claimed up. I checked out the filings on LR2000, current. I would not attempt to go out there again without permission from the claim owner.

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MrLee said:
Ya, that place is claimed up. I checked out the filings on LR2000, current. I would not attempt to go out there again without permission from the claim owner.

MrLee
Are those claims that you refer to in Trabuco & Horse Thief?
What about the canyons away from water?

Last edited:

nuggetgopher

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im on the claims and i dont mind , But talk with HBprospector to make sure he doesnt mind there really his.... And he has been mining the canyon for years he will help you out on locating the right spots there....

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just checked this out--fun little videos. Furthermore, I enjoyed how you could hear the water dripping in the mine.

All the best,

Lanny

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak, answered your PM, but I'll say it here as well. The creek is claimed up, plots 4, 5 & 6 which covers most of the creek. I didn't research any of the other plots because I was only concerned with the creek.

hbprospector

Jun 16, 2009
hello everyone,

The upper portion of horsethief canyon is mostly open. the good gold is deep…..10ft plus. i have been mining there for years and i find a little bit here and there. PM me and i’ll let you in on some places that are good

Digaway

Feb 5, 2013
TRABUCO CANYON, CA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello everyone,

The upper portion of horsethief canyon is mostly open. the good gold is deep…..10ft plus. i have been mining there for years and i find a little bit here and there. PM me and i’ll let you in on some places that are good

I would love any hints you have. I'm trying to go out there with my Dad to have some panning fun and see what we can find. Any help would be appreciated. Also any advice would be awesome...

hbprospector

Jun 16, 2009
Do your research on the area. Most of the canyon is claimed up. Don't get caught on sometimes claim, not all of the owners are as nice as me.

SNIFFINNUGGZZZ

Greenie
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live right near the Bar 'Cooks Corner' in the canyon I was wondering if theres anywhere i can go to see the maps of the claims so i dont go on someones property? Is the Entire creek claimed?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or go to the county clerk's office...they'll have good info too right guys?

Danhobie

Greenie
Dec 24, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread. But might save someone some pain. I own a claim up horsetheif. I have not been up there this season without seeing at least 1 rattler every trip. Saw 4 in one trip last week. Little ones and big ones! All have been down in the riverbed rocks.
Very little cell service, take a HAM radio and tune it to mission viejo repeater station. Might save your life. You can broadcast in an emergency.
I'm pretty deep into the canyon. Seen my fair share of weirdos up that trail. Be careful.
Feel free to pm me, I am happy to send my co-ords of my claim so people can respect my borders. It's hard for owners to maintain corner stakes because of the overburden, or like mine, the corners are high up on the cliffs.
I can't stress enough to get some snake boots and leave small pets and kids out of river bed this season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread