Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

A WHOPPING 5.5kg gold nugget worth up to $300,000 has been found in bush near Ballarat. The "incredibly rare" nugget was found 60cm underground by a prospector, who wishes to remain anonymous, on Wednesday.
Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.
"He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold," Mr Kent said.
"He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding ... he saw more and more gold ... he couldn’t believe what he was seeing."
The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said.

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was just about to post it myself. Flippin' unbelieveable! I can not imagine finding something like that. WOW!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I would've had a heart attack!

Attachments

• gold nugget.JPG
    gold nugget.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 323

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of us that are not on the Metric system here is the following in English measurements 60 cm.-23.6 inches,almost 2 feet & 5.5kg-12.1 pounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions