Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its just hard to get a good view of the line with a ruler held up to my computer screen
I'll GPS my corners and get some flagging up to get a view from up the hill on my SW corner it's like 500' up.
haven't done much exploring yet, got up my posting's that's about it, its been pretty cold.
if they don't close dredging down in this area too, I'll just start on the corner first.

Download the USG's map and then select the quarter section on the PDF and save it, then print it to draw out claims perfectly. Leave the section lines just inside the selection and section it out as needed.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Having the maps in PDF format does have its advantages!

I will often make a copy of the file, use it to make my notes on and then save it with a slightly different name. Usually I just add _MU (mark up) to the original name so I can tell at a glance which one is which.

The PDF format maps also save me a ton of space in my office! I currently have the following maps which cover a good portion of Mohave County, AZ but nothing for the area of the county that's north of the Colorado River or any BIA lands:

126 of the most current copies with aerial views as a separate layer.
120 with the PLSS information on them (Pre-1976).
10 of the oldest maps I could find for areas of special interest.
Plus a dozen or so from nearby areas in Nevada and California that I'm interested in for prospecting for fun but not claiming.

I also have a couple of the larger scale maps that I'm planning on having printed out to go on the office walls. (I might as well have functional decorations!) Now if I had all those maps in a printed format not only would I be buried in them, they'd also end up all messed up. The PDFs can also be zoomed in on with ease so my tired old eyes don't have to strain so much. ;)

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to February 15, 2016

The twice monthly claims updates are now available on the Land Matters Mining Claims Maps.

This brings the claims display current as of February 15th. The BLM LR2000 is still down after 6 days but we were able to update the information on Land Matters. Land Matters doesn't depend on the LR2000 for their mapping so at present we have the most current claims information available to the public. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got an email from BLM saying the LR2000 is back up. Checked and no LR2000 server yet but I suspect it will be later today sometime.

In the meantime Land Matters served more than 18,000 maps since my previous post. We became the go to alternative because we have the most current information.

Hopefully the LR2000 will actually work again soon.

Heavy Pans

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got an email from BLM saying the LR2000 is back up. Checked and no LR2000 server yet but I suspect it will be later today sometime.

In the meantime Land Matters served more than 18,000 maps since my previous post. We became the go to alternative because we have the most current information.

Hopefully the LR2000 will actually work again soon.

Heavy Pans

If you were one of those 18,000 map users, be sure to donate to Land Matters. That way you will not be in the dark next time the LR200 goes dark.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GeoCommunicator identify/PLSS tab/ mining claims link is still not working so mylandmatters
is still the only mapping page that will link to the BLM serial register reports.
good job Barry. :notworthy:

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a way on the Mylandmatters site to get the elevation/altitude for specific coordinates? If there is a way I have yet to figure it out. I know the topo will have relative elevations but I am wanting more specific info if possible.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a way on the Mylandmatters site to get the elevation/altitude for specific coordinates? If there is a way I have yet to figure it out. I know the topo will have relative elevations but I am wanting more specific info if possible.

Thanks.

We can't do that yet on Land Matters. It's planned for the near future but we've got to wait until we can afford more server space. Elevation may seem simple but it takes a lot of disk space. Disk space costs money.

We could tap into one of the online services but we are trying to avoid those. The online services are slooow. Whenever you have to wait more than a few seconds for a map on Land Matters it's because of someone else's online service. Our own server is blazing fast. We are trying to get rid of all those services so we won't be relying on wonky services that kill our speed.

In the meantime you've got the right idea for getting elevation information. The topo maps are accurate to within 40 feet.

Heavy Pans

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could get the GPS coordinates for the spot from the bottom of Land Matters. Then go to google earth and and work to get your cursor to that spot. Then read the elevation on google earth.

Slow and cumbersome yes. Possible, also yes.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At Land Matters we've been working on a system to report on all the new land issues published in the Federal Register. The Federal Register is the legal publication that shows all government agency actions, proposals and regulations.

This is a recent publication in the Federal Register for a Plan of Operations to mine in a National Park. Mining is possible in National Parks if you have a private property inholding or you have a prior existing perfected mining claim.

Public Review of Mining Plan of Operations for Claims Within Denali National Park

More to come soon.

Heavy Pans

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I stumbled upon some cool Colorado maps the other day by accident trying to research that "Tell me about the minerals" thread you made, I'll put the links below.

I usually only have phone internet so I started to look at the area you posted but it got hard without your site trying to do it on my phone:) but keep making those threads they are fun to think about and it's cool to research different areas.

Colorado maps:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr-03-046/OFR-03-046-508.pdf

I think this other one is good because it lists a huge number of localized references (more than 5 pages) so it is worth scanning those publications listed for better papers related to Colorado.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/2109/report.pdf

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to March 1, 2016

As we do twice each month Land Matters has updated the Mining Claims Maps. :thumbsup:

Lot's of changes.
Colorado had more than 1,000 claims closed and California is finally getting around to last years work (and some from as long ago as 2010).

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Colorado had more than 1,000 claims closed and California is finally getting around to last years work (and some from as long ago as 2010).

More proof that you really need to go to the county recorders office when doing your due diligence and not depend strictly on the LR2000 for claim information! The backlog of entries on the LR2000 is really bad in some areas like California. :BangHead: I wonder how many of the 2010 entries are even still valid claims.....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
More proof that you really need to go to the county recorders office when doing your due diligence and not depend strictly on the LR2000 for claim information! The backlog of entries on the LR2000 is really bad in some areas like California. :BangHead: I wonder how many of the 2010 entries are even still valid claims.....

Yea it's pointless to use the lr2000. The County isn't any better being that miners have 90 days to file. Boots on the ground with equipment in tow and backhoe ready to sample is the way to go!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea it's pointless to use the lr2000. The County isn't any better being that miners have 90 days to file. Boots on the ground with equipment in tow and backhoe ready to sample is the way to go!

Ahhh Excuse me? The 90 days is why you have to have a monument of discovery and corners marked here in Arizona. Not sure about other states but more than likely it's set up in much the same way. Your "Boots on the ground with equipment in tow and a backhoe ready to sample" is a great way to get yourself in jail if the area has been staked and the paperwork in the monument is still within the 90 period. If it's out of date, only then it's fair game. Seems to me that you're once again trying to get people put into jail for mineral trespass and promoting illegal activities.

One more time for those of you that want to do it right! If the area is staked and has a monument of discovery and the paperworks date is within 90 days it is considered as a temporary claim for testing and is out of bounds. Prospecting within that area is considered as mineral trespass just like a fully filed claim. If your due diligence has shown that there are no filed claims and there are no monuments then it's open. The 90 day period is to allow for testing to find out if it's worth filing on or not.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh Excuse me? The 90 days is why you have to have a monument of discovery and corners marked here in Arizona. Not sure about other states but more than likely it's set up in much the same way. Your "Boots on the ground with equipment in tow and a backhoe ready to sample" is a great way to get yourself in jail if the area has been staked and the paperwork in the monument is still within the 90 period. If it's out of date, only then it's fair game. Seems to me that you're once again trying to get people put into jail for mineral trespass and promoting illegal activities.

One more time for those of you that want to do it right! If the area is staked and has a monument of discovery and the paperworks date is within 90 days it is considered as a temporary claim for testing and is out of bounds. Prospecting within that area is considered as mineral trespass just like a fully filed claim. If your due diligence has shown that there are no filed claims and there are no monuments then it's open. The 90 day period is to allow for testing to find out if it's worth filing on or not.

Ghostminer... Many members and visitors read but do not post. We get it but many who do post never get it. You can show them documentation and they still do not get it!

For example.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/453731-claim-broker-shysters.html

Its a must read!

Im going to assume that you are in CA, that you have a backhoe and portable commercial equipment. It is not only lawful, it is required that you sample at numerous locations within a potential claim site and find a large valuable, profitable deposit that is capable of paying all expenses and turning a profit before you file and claim.

Use USGS files to go directly to large gold deposits. Dig trenches with your backhoe and portable commercial equipment to sample. Multiple trenches around the USGS location. Sample sample sample to see which direction, if any, that the pay streak goes. Reclaim/fill in your backhoe trenches and move on to the next large USGS deposit and do the same! No fiing claims unless a large part of the area contains a significant amount of gold that can be mined profitably.

In AZ there are over 50 locations where USGS files sampled at 1,000ppm gold. 32oz to a ton! Take a backhoe and equipment and dig/sample trenchs all around starting from where the USGS samples were taken.

Dont waste your time searching lr2000 files. Its a waste of time! The files themself are not up to date due to their workers. The fact that people have 90 days to file in itself means the files are never up to date. You have to put boots on the ground and look for required corner and discovery monuments in the area surrounding the USGS gold sample location.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...minate-small-miners-waiver-2.html#post4877208

I am well aware of the laws and what is required to file a legal, valid claim and the rights of those who discover and monument a legal, valid claim.

I find it strange that you argued to death against what you now claim as fact. Go figure?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread