Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Important updates to Arizona Claims Map and Arizona Geology Map

I also noticed a new Minerals layer on the Arizona map today. I haven't taken time to check it out yet as I was looking up other information to go into my field notebook.

I guess the cat's out of the bag. :laughing7:

The Arizona Claims Map has a new addition - the Mineral Potential map layer. This little beauty was worked up by the Arizona Geological Survey to show where the areas of highest mineral potential are in the State. It looks pretty simple but there is a lot of information and study that went into this map.

This map really belongs with the Arizona Geology Map and you will find it there too. I just thought it would give a little more information to those studying claims and land status.

The Arizona Geology Map also got a new Faults Map layer display too. Each State geology map will be updated with new information layers as I get the time. Contact Land Matters and let them know what you would like to see next.

I hope you noticed that I can now link you directly to those maps without going through the website or a donation page. These two maps are now sponsored. Sponsored maps are given direct access without any click through pages so feel free to share those links to the maps with your friends - the link will now take them directly to the map. Click on the sponsor name and give them a thank you for the free map and their generous support of Land Matters! :thumbsup:

More coming soon!

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a good peek at the Mineral Potential map today and from what I saw on it.... I'm really going to like that area I'm move to! Between mineral potential, historical background, current mining operations in the area etc etc etc, Most likely I'll be finding gold on the property. I've got to remember to make sure I get the mineral rights when I buy that place!

I've just about got the "field copy" of the AZ claims map finished up. Everything is arranged by township and range, lists land management agencies, historical claims and current claims. I'm setting all this up in a notebook so I can have the information with me in the field even if there's no internet service available. I will do it up as both computer files as well as a hard copy for those times I don't want to take the laptop out with me.

I'm going to have to go check out the new faults layer to see what is in my area. Most likely I'll mess it up somehow. Then everyone can say it's "My fault!" :laughing7:

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NEW! Arizona Claims just now updated.

The Arizona Claims Map has just now been updated directly from the BLM (12/12/2014). :thumbsup:

In the last month there have been 79 new Placer Claims added and 251 new Lode Claims added in Arizona.

Totals now:

5,635 Placer Claims

35,305 Lode Claims

More Coming!

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Drat DRAT and DOUBLE DRAT!!!!!! Now I've got to go and update any changes in Mohave County! I hope all the new stuff is up north! Thanks Clay (and I really do mean thanks in a non sarcastic way my friend!)

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty amazing stuff...........unbelievable is putting it mildly! The amount of work Clay and Ruby put into this is beyond anyone's imagination. Please HELP support the continued effort and reward that which has been done. Convey LAND MATTERS to any and all......promoting all the findings.

Bejay

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Arizona Claims Map has just now been updated directly from the BLM (12/12/2014). :thumbsup:

In the last month there have been 79 new Placer Claims added and 251 new Lode Claims added in Arizona.

Totals now:

5,635 Placer Claims

35,305 Lode Claims

More Coming!

Heavy Pans

Now Clay, :nono: see what you did? Those poor BLM folks had to get back to WORK after what you did! JK:icon_thumleft:

No pressure huh Jeff?

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm just glad I hadn't done the hard copies of the files yet. Much easier to update before printing as well as much cheaper. Printer ink ain't cheap! :coins:

And you if anyone should know that I THRIVE on pressure Jeff! After all... I'm trying to teach you this stuff aren't I? :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome!!!!

I was looking things up and marking them on google earth, only to lose everything from hours and hours of work when I clicked on the wrong button. This has tons of info in one search! I'm still "green" so there is so much information that I have no idea what to even do with now! lol

Thank you! To Clay Diggins and everyone involved with putting this together!!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Map Search Tips

You can make the job of seeing what claims were updated when and where with a little search magic.

:lightbulb: You know that pair of Binoculars on the right side of the map? You are probably thinking we just put that there to confuse you - right? :laughing7:
It's actually a really cool feature once you learn to use it. I'll give some examples:

1. Go ahead and click on the Binocular symbol while you have the Placer Claims layer turned on. An imposing form titled "Query Editor" appears on the upper left corner of your map.

2. Select the name of the map layer you want to search in the "Layer Name" dropdown box at the top of the "Query Editor" window. Let's start with "BLM LR2000 Placer Claims" for this example.

3. Skip all the other parts of the form for now and go right to the "Generated Query" box at the bottom and type (or copy & paste) this exact line:
[Claim Location Date] > '2014-10-1'

4. Click the "Apply" button.

You should now have a list of all the Placer Claims located since October 1st 2014. :thumbsup:

Hold on this gets even better! You want to know if any of those claims were made in your area of interest right?

:lightbulb: Scroll to the top of that result list and find the column titled "Township and Range". Click on that title. Now the result list is sorted by the Township and Range. Just scroll down to see if there are any claims listed in your Township and Range. They will all be clumped together in a group. :thumbsup:

:lightbulb: So you want to see on the map where one of those claims is? Just click the magnifying glass symbol to the left of the claim name and the map will zoom to the section the claim is in! :thumbsup:

I promised you search magic - wasn't that easy? You can change the date in this line to whatever you want:
[Claim Location Date] > '2014-10-1'

You could even search for claims between two dates like this:
[Claim Location Date] > '1936-1-1' AND [Claim Location Date] < '1952-1-1'
That will search for all claims made between 1936 and 1952. Just click on the "Claim Location Date" column head to sort those in order of date.

You can search for specific claims by name or any other quality you want just by playing around with different ways to fill in the blanks in the "Query Editor" form. This is searching on steroids!

Go play with it. You can't break the maps and you just might find the trick that gives you just what you were looking for.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first time I've seen Footprints too!

Another awesome place for information! Wow, I'm going to be in these tools for days, I have all kinds of new things to learn!!!!:thumbsup:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Clay, With the above, I just started my document "How to use Land Matters" in Word so I can toggle between the two. Now all I need to do is go back in this thread and copy and paste. Maybe I should call it "Land Matters Maps for Dummies?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heck Jeff95531 the "for dummies" version of help is already on the map. Just click on the "HELP" button at the top right of the map window. There is a illustrated guide to using each map tool right there. Click on the "Search" subject next to the binocular symbol in that HELP window.

Help is always there with just a click while you are using the map. If you need more information just Contact Land Matters or ask on the forum here. I'm sure your questions will be answered. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah... I've been using the Greaterville FootPrints program for some time now and I'm STILL finding new stuff. The maps on the site are set up almost exactly like those in FootPrints. Of course since Clay opened up the My Land Matters site I've been using it to research the areas S.E. of Kingman. When I move, I'll leave the Greaterville program with Robi since she will still be working that area when the mood strikes her.

Thanks to Clay, I've been learning new things on almost a daily basis. Things that I only had a faint clue about before have become much more into focus and very quickly. ANYONE that wants to be a serious miner can find something on the My Land Matters site to up their game without much effort. I'd also suggest that people go back through Clays posts here and copy them to a file for off-line reference. I know I'm going to be doing just that!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also looked into those "ToughBooks" Clay. They've got a large selection of them with different bells and whistles. Wide range of prices as well. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the prices on the higher end units! Well beyond what I'm wiling to pay for a computer that will be used in the field! Maybe a cheaper laptop with a good Pelican or Anvil case.

Look for used CF models on eBay. Any other laptop and you will be really sorry you didn't get the daylight screen found on the Toughbooks. A regular laptop isn't going to survive dropping or kicking either, even with the pelican case.

You can pick up a good CF Toughbook touch screen version with 1.6Ghz and a Gig of ram for around $250 - $500 on eBay. You won't need anything faster for in the field work. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about "wear and tear". :laughing7:

Avoid the ex police models and anything from the DOD. They wipe the drives and without the Toughbook specific operating system you will lose all the cool features like GPS, Touchscreen and heated keyboard etc.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Colorado Geology Map Additions

I've been so busy I forgot to put these new changes up. :BangHead:

The Colorado Geology Map has two new layers Faults and Dikes.

More good geology information coming soon. :thumbsup:

Enjoy Colorado!

Heavy Pans

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a great idea and informative website! I've only visited it using my phone, so I'll have to wait until I have access to a desktop computer before I can experience it fully. I look forward to seeing South Dakota added to the Claims maps. Definitely a useful tool/website, I'm going to be sure to send a donation that direction!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heck Jeff95531 the "for dummies" version of help is already on the map. Just click on the "HELP" button at the top right of the map window. There is a illustrated guide to using each map tool right there. Click on the "Search" subject next to the binocular symbol in that HELP window.

Help is always there with just a click while you are using the map. If you need more information just Contact Land Matters or ask on the forum here. I'm sure your questions will be answered. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Pretty much walked into that one...

Geico App TV Commercial, 'Pig in a Blanket' - iSpot.tv

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New Geology Feature - Tell us what you think!

I warned you there was a lot more coming. :laughing7:

By request we've added a few new features to the Idaho Geology Map. We've added a Faults Layer and a new Idaho Rock Samples layer with 26,000 Rock samples taken from all over the State.

The Rock Samples layer has a link to the chemical analysis of each rock sample. The analysis is presented in an easy to read table broken down by percentage or ppm (parts per million) of each element.

Even if you don't have an interest in Idaho geology I hope you will take a look at this new feature and let us know if you would like to see one of these Rock Sample layers on your State's geology map.

As you can imagine building a map from all these samples takes some considerable time. I think it's a very useful feature not only for prospectors but for rock and gem hunters or anyone interested in the nitty gritty of an areas geology. If we get good feedback on this new feature we could begin to include it in your state's geology map.

Let us know what you would like to see. Contact Land Matters. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread