Prove this wrong

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Clown=serious how? Slipping on a banana peel serious for the slippee (or slipper).
Pull my finger if comedy poor serious.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not my quote, so don't shoot the messenger.

Had I said it, I would have replaced the word comedy with sense of humor :thumbsup:

It's like the old saying, "Many a true word is said in jest." There are dozens of variations over the centuries too.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Shooting the messenger a breech of etiquette, also a hindrance in line of communication.
Steven wright,s (sp?)claim of family having a quicksand box in his youth causing him to be an only child,eventually. :laughing7: i hope not serious.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Spartacus,

I accept your challenge and look forward to it with anticipated breath.

Your opening statement: Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious - Peter Uatinov

My counterpoint: Comedy, also known as humor, is not serious. Seriousness, by itself, implies the essence of tangability of feelings; of which, humor seeks to avoid. Humor is a sophisticated defense mechanism employed by self-actualizing intellectuals who seek to avoid seriousness due to the profound effect on the ego and subconscious. Seriousness, will destory one. Humor is its antithesis, its antagonist, its keeper at bay.

I await your new facts to present or counterpoint, admirably,
Crispin

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your sgt. calls "being surrounded" by the enemy just a "target-rich environment", is he being funny or serious? (NOTE: I'm really NOT trying to bring guns into this)

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
Spartacus,

Your opening statement: Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious - Peter Uatinov

My counterpoint: Comedy, also known as humor, is not serious. Seriousness, by itself, implies the essence of tangability of feelings; of which, humor seeks to avoid. Humor is a sophisticated defense mechanism employed by self-actualizing intellectuals who seek to avoid seriousness due to the profound effect on the ego and subconscious. Seriousness, will destory one. Humor is its antithesis, its antagonist, its keeper at bay.

Crispin

Seriousness sometimes does not get a point across that one is trying to. Case in point: political cartoons.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

btw it's not anticipated breath....it's baited breath.....got to learn to get the facts straight....lol.

So if I understood you correctly seriousness versus comedy.......it's like a ying yang thing or Zen as Rebel calls it.

If we didn't resort to comedy....this whole crazy world would drive us all to the looney bin.....does that pretty much sum it up???.....

Regards + HH

Bill

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill its not baited, its bated got to........well don,t have to i guess.:laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relevanchair,

You caught me on a technicality.....lol......I'm just toying with his head......me a Spart have Crispin in training for his next big debate.....it's kind of the logic.....that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger......not a bad analogy me thinks....lol.

If he can handle both of our foolishness at the same time......pretty much anything else becomes amateurish at best....

Heck there I go being logical again.

Regards + HH

Bill

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill you too are being toyed with.
Leaving Crispin be a little, hard work leaning into left hooks after being high sticked and checked hard into the boards but he is getting back in there enough!
I don,t ask why but know the results of giving guys sticks in a competitive sport and telling them not to hit each other.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Spartacus,

Crispin

LOL!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relenvtchair

Actually there's another reason also.....we give Crispin an outlet to destress from his workaday world.....as a friend we all owe him that and more....my hat is off to him and then some for doing what he does for a living helping others.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill you too are being toyed with.
Leaving Crispin be a little, hard work leaning into left hooks after being high sticked and checked hard into the boards but he is getting back in there enough!
I don,t ask why but know the results of giving guys sticks in a competitive sport and telling them not to hit each other.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is hard in many professions to trade hats on the way home. His is one that can naw on a person,twenty four seven and twelve.
It is appreciated and hope it continues to bear fruit long down the road.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crispin

First let me drag something I said from another post, and all you have to do is exchange the word common sense for the word serious, then just have the word humor. Thank god my logic is able to morph, I hate typing :laughing7:

Common sense and a sense of humor are essentially the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense moving at a superior speed, looking over its shoulder and laughing at common sense trying to catch up, but never will.
tongue3.gif

You see, I have a PHD in the arts. Surely it's not the same education as yours, but it works for me

PHD - Poor, Hungry, Driven Con artist does fall under the arts I hope :tongue3:

Now, let me explain a little about my world.

First, welcome to my world :icon_thumright:

Here you will be judged on what you wear, how you speak, which music you listen to, how you act, who you hang around with, and on every other personal trait and imperfection about you, and you'll be made fun of for who you are.

Enjoy your stay :laughing7:

Not that any of the above applies to you, this is humor being serious. How so? Most people are judgmental by nature, and the above is only the tip of the iceberg. So yes, that is pretty serious

What makes this humorous :dontknow: Enjoy your stay does :laughing7:

Because I'm in a good mood and have 2 days off, I'll even toss in a bonus

Your quote - "Seriousness, by itself, implies the essence of tangability"

My counterpoint - Humor, in song

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
First let me drag something I said from another post, and all you have to do is exchange the word common sense for the word serious, then just have the word humor. Thank god my logic is able to morph, I hate typing :laughing7:

Common sense and a sense of humor are essentially the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense moving at a superior speed, looking over its shoulder and laughing at common sense trying to catch up, but never will.
tongue3.gif

You see, I have a PHD in the arts. Surely it's not the same education as yours, but it works for me

PHD - Poor, Hungry, Driven Con artist does fall under the arts I hope :tongue3:

Now, let me explain a little about my world.

First, welcome to my world :icon_thumright:

Here you will be judged on what you wear, how you speak, which music you listen to, how you act, who you hang around with, and on every other personal trait and imperfection about you, and you'll be made fun of for who you are.

Enjoy your stay :laughing7:

Not that any of the above applies to you, this is humor being serious. How so? Most people are judgmental by nature, and the above is only the tip of the iceberg. So yes, that is pretty serious

What makes this humorous :dontknow: Enjoy your stay does :laughing7:

Because I'm in a good mood and have 2 days off, I'll even toss in a bonus

Your quote - "Seriousness, by itself, implies the essence of tangability"

My counterpoint - Humor, in song

Point: I thought PhD stood for "piled higher and deeper."

Thank you for inviting me into your world. So far, I have found everybody to polite and quite welcoming. A poignant change from other worlds I have visited lately. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure that prejudice is a synonym for serious. Certainly prejudice is a serious thing but I find the reciprocal interpretation to be lacking. Serious does not beg prejudice.

Point the 2nd: The speed of humor and serious is all relative to the world we are visiting, as is relativity. Agreed, in your world, humor is serious moving at a superior speed; however, most of us are not as lucky as myself to be invited into that world. We must consider the majority of other realms, worlds, and universes. For these people humor is moving at a much slower speed then serious. It puts the breaks on a chaos and ego conflict that would otherwise tear the subconscious in two. In its more serious form this could lead to complete dissociation; which of course, is not humorous to say the least.

Enjoy your two days off! ;)

Counterpoint: Derivation of serious and humerous leave us with two totally seperate tangents, each to remarkably different curves.

Crispin

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Thank you for inviting me into your world. So far, I have found everybody to polite and quite welcoming. A poignant change from other worlds I have visited lately. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure that prejudice is a synonym for serious. Certainly prejudice is a serious thing but I find the reciprocal interpretation to be lacking. Serious does not beg prejudice.

Point the 2nd: The speed of humor and serious is all relative to the world we are visiting, as is relativity. Agreed, in your world, humor is serious moving at a superior speed; however, most of us are not as lucky as myself to be invited into that world. We must consider the majority of other realms, worlds, and universes. For these people humor is moving at a much slower speed then serious. It puts the breaks on a chaos and ego conflict that would otherwise tear the subconscious in two. In its more serious form this could lead to complete dissociation; which of course, is not humorous to say the least.

Counterpoint: Derivation of serious and humerous leave us with two totally seperate tangents, each to remarkably different curves.

Crispin

CURVES...? Yep! Like 'em on the women-folks...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Glad to see you enjoy it in our crazy little world.....now this is just my take on things as I can't speak for Spart.....heck I have a hard time understanding him for the most part....lol.

I know from my own experiences.....I try not to be judgmental.....I've floated between the titans of industry......and the seediest parts of society and pretty much everything in between....and the surprising thing is there's some pretty classy and intelligent folks in all those spectrums.....as well as the truly sleazy types whom I wouldn't give the time of day.....

Case in point......when I do my weekly outings....my little inner city pub in a blue collar neighborhood most of the regulars are basic honest folks....it reminds of my roots and keeps me grounded.....I've done the 4 and 5 star hotels and restaurants......but prefer hanging out with this crowd.....it tends to keep me humble.....it's easy to get our heads inflated with the baubles of the world otherwise.

Regards + HH

Bill

Crispin

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure that prejudice is a synonym for serious. Certainly prejudice is a serious thing but I find the reciprocal interpretation to be lacking. Serious does not beg prejudice.

Counterpoint
Serious does not beg prejudice -Good point and this should be open for discussion/debate as well. Although many, many times a serious statement will imply prejudice.

Example - Sorry, we don't serve (insert your favorite here)

Counter on the 2nd point

Yes, there are at time two different worlds for the majority of people, but with your background, I'm surprised you didn't mention the many other worlds out there that are also running parallel to the 2 under discussion.

You are used to understanding the mind and possibly correcting it though understanding, stimulation and perhaps medications

My method is to show an alternative that you can reach understanding though the stimulation of a different thought process.

In a nutshell, you work subjective consciousness and understand them. I in turn work with the unconscious and just subject them, period :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread