drewspades

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Joshua Tree, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I am assuming that most public places are free game for hunting without the need to acquire permission such as parks, beaches, rivers, streams, lakes, and public trails. am I assuming correctly?

what other kinds of add ball places should I consider as good places to MD without needing permission.

Abandoned lots or property?

does anyone have advice on where research old maps, trails, points of interest? I guess I can Google the history of some places here in California, but obtaining an old map replica of old towns and trails would be awesome.

OP
OP
drewspades

drewspades

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Joshua Tree, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
drewspades, you are right about your summization of public spots. If there's no prohibitions, then ....... there's no prohibitions :) As for areas by you to detect, I would distance myself from any of the typical "ghost town" type coffee-table tourist books. Most any of those that those glossy books list, are simply tourist-traps, all gussied up. Or have been totally ransacked with 4-wheelers, modern junk, etc... The better spots to find are going to be the spots with the least amount written about them, and/or the least accessible, etc... The less modern influence, the better (so as not to have introduced reams of bullets, beer cans, junk, etc....). And if you see any old-town urban demolitions in the down-town districts of towns near you, get in on those when they scrape off the surface debri (hopefully they don't scrape *too* deep though :))

Not sure about nuggets (as that is a totally different venue of detecting/type) but there should be a lot of old camp-spots in the hills near you. A good place to practice, is old church camps, scout camps, and any such campgrounds like that (preferably abandoned and un-used since the early 1960s).

As far as swimming areas, yes, if you can work the sandy beaches (and preferablly even into the water itself) is good for jewelry losses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread