"public property/land"

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"public property/land"

I just read thread about asking about permission in Public Parks. What about land that is owned by the city, town, or even the state, That is not a park or other designated recreation area? Maybe the grassy median of some road. Or an old road that stops abruptly at the "new" interstate or divided highway put in the 1950's? Or just the easement area along any city streets adjacent to RR tracks? Maybe the City just bought 4 houses for a parking lot and they are going to be razed?
Again who would you ask? Who would care?
I 100% agree any private land you would be a fool without proper permission. I kinda like one member idea asking on the police level "would you ticket/harass me if.............."
Billy
:read2:

Upvote 0

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: "public property/land"

If you are 100% sure that the property is publicly owned by a city or state and its going to be developed for other uses, by all means get in there and detect. Unless of course the property has been posted with no trespassing signs. Then I'd make a phone call or two and investigate why its posted.

In my mother's neighborhood there is a road widening project from a two-lane to a divided 4-lane highway that is taking a number of houses, none real old but believe me as soon as I know that the state has purchased the land, I'll be hitting a few of the more interesting properties that I couldn't get permission on when privately owned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I agree with Dwight. Just go. As long as it's not fenced and posted, and anyone can simply walk there, then just go.

Mind you, this is not to say that if you asked enough people "can I?" that you might not find someone to tell you "no". Does that mean whomever gave you that answer actually really cared? Probably not. But afterall, you asked, and the mere asking simply implies that something is inherently wrong or damaging with your activity (lest why would you have asked, if your activity is harmless?). This implication is not subconsciously lost on the desk clerk, and of course they're going to pick the easy answer. So just go, and reality is, odds are, no one cares. I hit eminent domain lots, road right-of-ways (sidewalk demo's, for instance) and such spots all the time.

Also this does not mean you are not 100% going to never get a busy-body to tell you otherwise. Sure it can happen. Just give lip service, and move on. Heck, I even had a lady on the beach one time tell me my metal detector was bothering her dog! ::) (maybe she thought it was emitting sound waves like a silent dog whistle sound? I dunno!)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree with Dwight and Tom ----- ask and there is always someone that is worried about law suits, and will say no. Locally the city built a new city hall, and razed several really old houses. Went in and hunted, nobody cared or said a word. The main problem was the ground was like concrete, and full of trash, and the detecting window very narrow. They also tore up the sidewalk in front of the courthouse, and my friend got right in there among the workmen, and nobody said a word, so he decided to push his luck and went right up on the courthouse lawn and went to searching. Now this is the center of all the county law, and not one person said a word, he cut plugs and put them back, did a good job, didn't find anything to brag about, but he did it. I didn't have the nerve, and it worked out he didn't find anything worth talking about, but he did it, and nobody seemed to care. Sometimes I think we worry too much. Unless it's posted, if someone approaches you, play dumb, and if told to move on by a cop, tell him how sorry you are, and it will never happen again, and leave. I was detecting in a local park, and I'd found some zinc, not much more, and a police officer driving his car on the paved bicycle trail, stopped, rolled down the window. At that point I was plenty worried, and he says, "find anything," and I says, "some pennies." He laughs and drives off.

OP
OP
T

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ok Got it ! especially the remarks about if your asking there must be something wrong with it. If you ask enough people someone will say NO as the easy answer. Be respectful in digging,and make area better than when I started , carry out all trash even. A small price to pay for the good will of this hobby/addiction. Thanks for the encouragement.
The answer and response I get from Police is "as long as your not leaving Big holes and making a mess etc. knock yourself out man"
Cant wait for ground to thaw. Yippee!!! Thanks BosnMate, Tom, and Dwight.
Billy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread