Public

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently got the Bounty Hunter Gold Digger. I live in a apartment so that's the only place I can detect except on weekends. I feel so weird/stupid/different digging in the dirt and grass. If anybody passes by they look at me funny and say stuff. I don't feel good about this. Any advice on what I can do?

ForumRunner_20121024_173642.png

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry my friend, that is a personal problem. Either do some research and find other places to hunt, or grow a pair. Best of luck!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Sorry my friend, that is a personal problem. Either do some research and find other places to hunt, or grow a pair. Best of luck!

I agree if your to concerned about the way people view you..you might wanna find a different hobby

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
sonofadigger said:
I agree if your to concerned about the way people view you..you might wanna find a different hobby

True. But the bad thing is that I can't return it. So I guess I'm stuck with it...should I go to random HOUSES and ask if I can MD there? I heard thats what most people do.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I did was placed an ad on Craigslist and got several replies. I have even stopped and asked people I have seen outside and explained to them what I wanted to do and told them I would leave no trace of me being there. Some said yes and a cpl said no and I thanked them. I think many people are a bit shy when starting out not knowing what to expect but keep it up and you will find it is a nice hobby with some unexpected rewards.

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Normsel said:
What I did was placed an ad on Craigslist and got several replies. I have even stopped and asked people I have seen outside and explained to them what I wanted to do and told them I would leave no trace of me being there. Some said yes and a cpl said no and I thanked them. I think many people are a bit shy when starting out not knowing what to expect but keep it up and you will find it is a nice hobby with some unexpected rewards.
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP! :)

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head out to parks, playgrounds, tot lots, ball fields, beaches, etc. Anywhere that people congregate. More times than not, folks will come up to you and ask if you've found anything (at least up here in New England that's what they do) interesting or "good". Have never gotten a rude comment other than kids saying "beep, beep, beep". Sometimes you just have to ignore folks and their comments.

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
AC1955 said:
Head out to parks, playgrounds, tot lots, ball fields, beaches, etc. Anywhere that people congregate. More times than not, folks will come up to you and ask if you've found anything (at least up here in New England that's what they do) interesting or "good". Have never gotten a rude comment other than kids saying "beep, beep, beep". Sometimes you just have to ignore folks and their comments.

HH,
Anita

Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If anybody passes by they look at me funny and say stuff. I don't feel good about this. Any advice on what I can do?

When you think about it Joseph, you can hardly blame the lookie-lous. Because, let's face it: we're in an odd hobby, that draws the stares of curious folks. You know, like " ooohh, look at the man with the geigor counter thingy. I wonder if he's finding any gold, or what the best thing he's ever found is". And yes, the connotation that you might leave a hole or something, blah blah blah.

This is why I've gotten to where I do most of my hunting at night, and/or low crowd times. Out of sight is out of mind. So peaceful, so serene, when no one's around :)

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom_in_CA said:
When you think about it Joseph, you can hardly blame the lookie-lous. Because, let's face it: we're in an odd hobby, that draws the stares of curious folks. You know, like " ooohh, look at the man with the geigor counter thingy. I wonder if he's finding any gold, or what the best thing he's ever found is". And yes, the connotation that you might leave a hole or something, blah blah blah.

This is why I've gotten to where I do most of my hunting at night, and/or low crowd times. Out of sight is out of mind. So peaceful, so serene, when no one's around :)

Thanks! I decided to detect in apts at morning on 7:00-7:30!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people when they start out hunting.....feel a bit uncomfortable metal detecting in public green spaces and the looks and or comments from strangers....as long as there's no restrictions in the areas you're detecting and you follow the code for retrieval, filling holes, etc....don't sweat it.

And as mentioned above....if you're uncomfortable hit the sites off hours when there are less people at the sites in question.....

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
So I guess I'm not the only detectorist that felt like this at first!

Petro88

Greenie
Oct 20, 2012
Yup. I just started and I only detected at night at a park by my house. The park is very well groomed and I afraid people will get upset when they see me dig. Even though I take great care not to leave any signs that I was there.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know everyone is different but i had the same issues when i first came home from the army in 04 and started detecting,Had Really bad anxiety problems and it was almost impossible for me to detect in public places without becoming extremely nervous almost to the point of paranoia,But as time passed and i made a few good finds i started to really enjoy the hobby and it gave me the motivation to get out and hunt more places with alot of human foot traffic.With metal detecting comes the curious looks/questions and sometimes smartads remarks that just cant be avoided with this hobby, but with time and a few good finds,You will realize how lucrative this hobby can be and how much it helps you develop social skills with the general public. As far as smartads people are concerned,After you find your first gold ring or chain that nets you a thousand bucks or so,Those people wont even phase you,You`ll be laughing to yourself and thinking,If this jerk only knew...........
Just stick with it man,Never let anyone discourage you from doing what you enjoy,I promise you that it gets easier with time.Not just dealing with the people,But the good finds will be more common as well.I wish you the best of luck with your new hobby!!

HH John!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, I believe that this young man is only 11-12 years old and I fully understand how he feels. Joseph, what you have to do is just ignore other people. Most are curious about what you are doing and what you have found. One idea is to carry an old silver dollar and show that to people. Just don't show it to the gangbangers. Since we both live in Texas, you know why. I think you made a good choice with your detector and the more you practice, the better you will get and probably, the more you will find. You realize that the part of Texas where you live has a great history and that there was a lot of action on that property before those apartments were ever built. Besides, you will get a lot of great experience searching around those apts. Just try to ignore the people, smile at them and know how cool it is to find treasure. And trust me, in a couple of years you are going discover hotties and have such a great time showing them how to MD, CRH and make out that you won't notice there's another person on the planet.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are detecting without headphones the noise will attract attention.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally can care less what others watching me think or even say since I have on a pair of headsets..... The 8 diamond rings, 4 diamond earrings, 7 watches, lots of gold and silver rings, interesting finds, close to $900 in clad coins and the smile on my face when I pick up that gold ring, or my wifes face when I give her the diamond ring mean lots more to me than a stranger that I don't even know opinions or comments.........Guess I'm getting old

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
austin said:
Hey everyone, I believe that this young man is only 11-12 years old and I fully understand how he feels. Joseph, what you have to do is just ignore other people. Most are curious about what you are doing and what you have found. One idea is to carry an old silver dollar and show that to people. Just don't show it to the gangbangers. Since we both live in Texas, you know why. I think you made a good choice with your detector and the more you practice, the better you will get and probably, the more you will find. You realize that the part of Texas where you live has a great history and that there was a lot of action on that property before those apartments were ever built. Besides, you will get a lot of great experience searching around those apts. Just try to ignore the people, smile at them and know how cool it is to find treasure. And trust me, in a couple of years you are going discover hotties and have such a great time showing them how to MD, CRH and make out that you won't notice there's another person on the planet.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyThirteen08 said:
I know everyone is different but i had the same issues when i first came home from the army in 04 and started detecting,Had Really bad anxiety problems and it was almost impossible for me to detect in public places without becoming extremely nervous almost to the point of paranoia,But as time passed and i made a few good finds i started to really enjoy the hobby and it gave me the motivation to get out and hunt more places with alot of human foot traffic.With metal detecting comes the curious looks/questions and sometimes smartads remarks that just cant be avoided with this hobby, but with time and a few good finds,You will realize how lucrative this hobby can be and how much it helps you develop social skills with the general public. As far as smartads people are concerned,After you find your first gold ring or chain that nets you a thousand bucks or so,Those people wont even phase you,You`ll be laughing to yourself and thinking,If this jerk only knew...........
Just stick with it man,Never let anyone discourage you from doing what you enjoy,I promise you that it gets easier with time.Not just dealing with the people,But the good finds will be more common as well.I wish you the best of luck with your new hobby!!

HH John!

Thanks!

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anita got me thinking. I live and hunt in new england too and havent had any rude or snide comments. At least not yet. I wonder if its just a regional thing. Like if you were a huge hockey fan living in mississippi people would probably tease about that too. I love my old new england town. And hockey rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread