Puebloan stone tool or toy??

8_Way_Santa

Greenie
Jun 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 in. long x 1 in. wide x 3 mm. thick

I found this while walking on a mesa in McKinley County, New Mexico near the village of Ramah. This was lying on the surface in an area with several overgrown ruins; the area around these ruins are full of pottery shards, stone flakes or cast-offs, and the occasional point.

Several inquires have produced guesses that this is either either a tool or a toy; one person identified it as pipestone. I suspect one of these guesses regarding the purpose of the object is correct. I would absolutely love to know more - if this is a tool, what kind? IS this pipestone? Was this used as a toy?

I've done little research online to look for similar objects. The pooching around I HAVE done brought me to this forum.

Thanks - I look forward to hearing more!

20200623_085916.jpg 20200623_085931.jpg 20200623_085810.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to our American Indian Forum.

Welcome to TreasureNet, nice find.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen many atlatl weights that look similar. Yes, it does look like pipestone (catlinite). Welcome.

OP
OP

8_Way_Santa

Greenie
Jun 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many atlatl weights that look similar. Yes, it does look like pipestone (catlinite). Welcome.

Thanks for the reply - and the welcome, too!

You've given me something to search-up online....

Until then, what would be the purpose of the groove on each side of the lithic?

OP
OP

8_Way_Santa

Greenie
Jun 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your insight Older the Better, too!

The guy who told me this was pipestone also told me something about the properties of it. He said that under the correct conditions, broken pieces of pipestone (perhaps just this type?) will fuse back together in a very short time - like a year or so. What can you, Tdog or anyone else say about this? This was the same fella who said my lithic was a toy.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few red Pendants from New Mexico posted by a man on Facbook though I can't recall what he calls the material. Not sure it's Catlinite. That looks like a Grooved Pendant to me.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the difference between a grooved pendant and a plummet? Maybe I’ve got my terminology mixed up

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think Steve is correct, it might not be catlinite. If fact if it is catlinite, it's probably not prehistoric. (Catlinite was traded around in prehistoric times, but usually in the Mississippi and Great Lakes drainages.)

I'd call it a grooved pendant. Whether it was actually a pendant worn around the neck, or was ceremonial, or a specialized too for some purpose (smoothing pottery, or a gauge for weaving, etc.) we may never know, but there are a lot of grooved pendants found on ancient Puebloan sites. (The Mogollon/Casas Grandes people in Northern Mexico made lots of them.)

OP
OP

8_Way_Santa

Greenie
Jun 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all involved for the information. I really do appreciate it!

I still hope to hear if anyone on this forum knows about the pipestone, specifically if the information I was told about it being "self-healing" so to speak. This lithic may or may not be pipestone according to some; still, I would love to know if this is capable of fusing itself back together.

Grim Reaper, a pendant came to my mind when I found it, too. I cannot say though - my experience/expertise is nil.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the difference between a grooved pendant and a plummet? Maybe I’ve got my terminology mixed up

I can't recall ever seeing a Plummet from New Mexico. I've seen lots of Pendants, both drilled and grooved, but no Plummets. Plummets are more spherical in shape instead of flat. I've found quite a few Plummets and though I have a couple with flat faces on them they are still more spherical in shape.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from NE New Mexico! Very cool find. I have never personally found anything like that in the state but have seen examples from other people's collections. I was told that items like this were pottery tools used to smooth and shape. The one thing different on yours is the groove around it. Just my 2 cents....looking forward to input from others on pipestone.

OP
OP

8_Way_Santa

Greenie
Jun 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from NE New Mexico!

Thanks! We miss our time in New Mexico. Hope to be back in Ramah for about 5 weeks in the autumn.

I liked the suggestion of the atlatl weight but all the ones I saw online seemed to show either one center groove or two grooves. To thicken the mystery, I've been given a few more suggestions on the forum as to its use.

My thanks again to all for the warm welcome on this forum. Also, more thanks for all of the suggestions and information - keep 'em coming!

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! We miss our time in New Mexico. Hope to be back in Ramah for about 5 weeks in the autumn.

I liked the suggestion of the atlatl weight but all the ones I saw online seemed to show either one center groove or two grooves. To thicken the mystery, I've been given a few more suggestions on the forum as to its use.

My thanks again to all for the warm welcome on this forum. Also, more thanks for all of the suggestions and information - keep 'em coming!

We used to play Ramah in 6 man football back in high school....the good ol' days!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grim Reaper, hope all is well on your end. I sent you a private message a little back and wonder if you saw it. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recall ever seeing a Plummet from New Mexico. I've seen lots of Pendants, both drilled and grooved, but no Plummets. Plummets are more spherical in shape instead of flat. I've found quite a few Plummets and though I have a couple with flat faces on them they are still more spherical in shape.

Thanks, I’ve got a pretty good handle on chipped stone because that’s what I find, still green on the other stuff

As for self healing stone that sounds fishy to me, never ran across that in my geology classes but there’s a lot I don’t know... like the difference between a plummet and a grooved pendant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread