Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few of you may remember my ridiculous thread from a year ago where I was on a quest to find gold, all while keeping count of how many nickels and tabs that I would to dig along the way.

If you recall I was only counting tabs dug from parks, private property, and sports fields. My count a year ago was 560 tabs to 127 nickles to 1 gold ring (14k wedding ring). After I found my gold a year ago I began keeping count again, this time quietly to myself.

Any guesses for what the next ratio will be?

Hopefully alot more like 1/1/1. Those numbers look much better huh? There goes Dub, dreaming again! I do hope the numbers are alot better for you this go around.

Damnit Jeremy. Here comes another 500 posts. Lol

I kept detailed records back in the 80's - 90's while using a Teknetics 9000B, and from memory my pull-tab to gold ring ratio averaged about 1,000 to 1, don't remember how the nickels worked but found more than most other guys I was detecting with mainly because I was digging in that spectrum for the gold. Next time I run across my notebooks from those years I'll try and post some averages which might provide a vague measurement to compare with. Of course different time, different trash levels, and even though the Tek was boss then, I think the newer top drawer machines are better. Sounds like you are ahead of the curve, keep it up!

I have been keeping count too, but my Canadian Nickels are junk quality and register here nor there nor here again... Anyways, I have pulled 15 or so nickels, 404 PT's and 0 Gold or Silver... Not a good ratio yet lol

500 to 150 to 1 sounds about right...ish...:occasion14:

not counting slaw ?

I'll post the final result tomorrow once I get time to clean everything up. bigfoot1 is pretty close to my final count!

I found a nice 14k gold ring in a woods that is part of a park last Wednesday. Here is my ratio this time around:

Tabs: 546
Nickels: 153
Gold: 1 (14k ring)

That is a very close ratio to what I had almost a year ago when I found my last gold ring. Since starting this quest for gold I also found 7 V nickels and 3 buffalo nickels, not to mention almost a dozen IH pennies, several dozen wheat pennies, and a handful of silver.

2015-08-16 19.30.38.jpg 2015-08-16 19.31.43.jpg 2015-08-16 19.31.59.jpg

Here are my finds from my hunt last Wednesday when I found this ring. I also found a fired 3-ringer, an IH penny, and 4 wheat pennies on that hunt. And for those of you who are curious, this ring came up as a solid 55 on my AT pro.

2015-08-12 21.08.02.jpg 2015-08-12 21.08.07.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back