pull tabs and gold??

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The secret is that there isn't one. They read in the gold zone and there is no way to avoid them (and every other clip and shred of aluminum) when searching for gold.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The secret is... (looking both ways to make sure nobody is listening)... If you dig a few thousand of those pull tabs, mostly likely you will hit a gold ring during the process. I found a 14K ring on Saturday (only my second in a year) and I dug a minimum of 30 pulltabs! You also will dig nickels... maybe a buffalo or V nickel will show up as an added bonus.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged with the pull tabs!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just keep at it,practice makes perfect...perfect for plugging CRAP,cheer up...every once in awhile a Gold will show up,Silver can be counted in there too!

Heck....I have found three Gold in ONE day in all that CRAP.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If finding gold rings is your desire: The secret is: Go to places where gold jewelry is more likely to occur. If gold rings are a person's agenda, then what-the-heck are they doing in junky blighted parks trying to be a hero and strip-mining all the tabs and foil out ? Instead you should go to where gold rings are more-likely to be, in the first place: Swimming beaches.

When I'm hunting inner city old park turf, I go for the old silver and copper. If I'm feeling like angling for jewelry, I'll go to a beach.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I know exactly what you mean. I've dug hundreds of pull tabs hoping they were gold. I have noticed on my AT Gold that pull tabs, some bottle caps, nickles, lead sinkers and some gold jewelry all give off roughly the same tone and usually have a VDI number in the low to mid 50's. Your AT Pro should be reading about the same. You just have to dig them all and find out what's down there. Patience does pay off. Thought I had just another dang pull tab this morning but dug it anyway. Ended up being a gold ring! 2 steps away was a buried pop can, dug it and rechecked the hole only to find a silver necklace was under it. This was in a local playground that saw a lot of traffic over the last weekend. These treasures plus a bunch of clad were well worth the 2 hours I spent there. Bottom line is keep digging those signals and you will eventually find the good stuff! HH:thumbsup:

kromar3336

Mar 15, 2015
Pgh Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets frustrating but it pays off. My first time out with my ace 250 tons of pull tabs cans and a little clad. The second day more pull tabs a few pennies. Then out popped an 18k earring ! This was in a local park. I'm still learning my machine. Keep digging !

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one of the books I bought about trying to find gold jewelry, it is suggested you set a certain amount of time for focusing on the gold, then move on to some coin shooting and ignore the lower conductors. This way you save your sanity and end up feeling like you got somewhere. Last night I spent about 45 minutes digging all the trash, then cherry picked quarters for an hour and had $7 to show for it. Felt like a good 2 hours spent.. Had I keep on digging every thing I would have been disappointed. I know where i left off digging low conductors and can start there next time for the gold hour.. Hope that helps.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You guys, this whole notion of "dig tabs and foil till your arms fall off", as the "recipe" for finding gold jewelry, is destined for insanity at a lot of places.

Why is it, that whenever the subject of "how can I find more gold rings?" comes up, that the vast majority of responses are saying this like "dig all low conductors" and "don't give up, 'cuz look at this nice ring I got after 100+ trash", etc.... As if those are the "secret recipe" for finding gold. But consider the following:

It's already a GIVEN that alloyed gold jewelry and aluminum share the same conductive ranges. So to tell someone "dig all low conductors" is already a given. The other 99% of the "recipe" is WHERE you hunt.

I can think of parks where you would literally dig 1000 pieces of junk (and promptly be kicked out of the park), before ever getting a gold ring. So we hunt them for old coins, not jewelry. If we're that hot & bothered for nickels or gold rings, we'll go to the beach. Because inner city blighted urban parks is NOT the place to be a hero, and enter relic mindset, and "strip-mine".

Example: There was a certain blighted old park in San Francisco, that got the grass stripped off by tractors, to prepare for astroturf installation. Since the top 6" to 10" was dozed off, we could treat it in relic dig-all mindset (since holes weren't a factor). However, by the 3rd day or so, the tractors had folded back in some of the top soil, meaning all the modern junk and clad was now mixed in with the old stuff. But since it was all still jumbled up and easy digging, we continued to treat it in a "dig all" mindset. For an entire week my buddies and I dug hundreds upon hundreds of signals per night. Lots of silver, lots of clad, lots of wheaties, a smattering of IH's, V's, buffalos, barbers, seateds, and .... yes..... a few gold rings.

For that entire week I save all the targets, both good and bad, in a 5 gallon bucket. When it was all over, I studied the ratios of all the target #'s. I think I had something like 7 or 8 pieces of gold (a few rings, a charm, a watch part, etc...). Then compared that to the thousands of aluminum item #'s I'd found. I came to the conclusion that there would have been no way in h*ck that anyone would think he could've gone there looking for gold, had it not been for the fact of dozed up turf making digging fast and easy. And even the nickels (V's and buff's) weren't worth it, if that had been the objective: Orange-ish brown cr*p, that you could barely read any dates off of. Contrast to the silver which came out shiny and new :)

There might be some types turf (upscale high-rent neighborhood newer soccer or athletic fields) where angling for jewelry in turf might be feasible. But for a heck of a lot of parks, to advice someone to "go dig low conductors till your arms fall off", can be folly.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, that is great advice, and anyone who has tried quickly comes to the same constitutions, or should... Unfortunately for those of us who don't have Beaches, lakes or ponds where we would have a better chance to find Jeweler, the parks, football/Soccer fields are all we got. Personally an hour of tab, foil and caps is about all I can take.. Would rather have the $3 or $4 in clad to spend on a couple for Power Ball tickets.. better chance of hitting than with the tabs!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys, this whole notion of "dig tabs and foil till your arms fall off", as the "recipe" for finding gold jewelry, is destined for insanity at a lot of places.

Why is it, that whenever the subject of "how can I find more gold rings?" comes up, that the vast majority of responses are saying this like "dig all low conductors" and "don't give up, 'cuz look at this nice ring I got after 100+ trash", etc.... As if those are the "secret recipe" for finding gold. But consider the following:

It's already a GIVEN that alloyed gold jewelry and aluminum share the same conductive ranges. So to tell someone "dig all low conductors" is already a given. The other 99% of the "recipe" is WHERE you hunt.

I can think of parks where you would literally dig 1000 pieces of junk (and promptly be kicked out of the park), before ever getting a gold ring. So we hunt them for old coins, not jewelry. If we're that hot & bothered for nickels or gold rings, we'll go to the beach. Because inner city blighted urban parks is NOT the place to be a hero, and enter relic mindset, and "strip-mine".

Example: There was a certain blighted old park in San Francisco, that got the grass stripped off by tractors, to prepare for astroturf installation. Since the top 6" to 10" was dozed off, we could treat it in relic dig-all mindset (since holes weren't a factor). However, by the 3rd day or so, the tractors had folded back in some of the top soil, meaning all the modern junk and clad was now mixed in with the old stuff. But since it was all still jumbled up and easy digging, we continued to treat it in a "dig all" mindset. For an entire week my buddies and I dug hundreds upon hundreds of signals per night. Lots of silver, lots of clad, lots of wheaties, a smattering of IH's, V's, buffalos, barbers, seateds, and .... yes..... a few gold rings.

For that entire week I save all the targets, both good and bad, in a 5 gallon bucket. When it was all over, I studied the ratios of all the target #'s. I think I had something like 7 or 8 pieces of gold (a few rings, a charm, a watch part, etc...). Then compared that to the thousands of aluminum item #'s I'd found. I came to the conclusion that there would have been no way in h*ck that anyone would think he could've gone there looking for gold, had it not been for the fact of dozed up turf making digging fast and easy. And even the nickels (V's and buff's) weren't worth it, if that had been the objective: Orange-ish brown cr*p, that you could barely read any dates off of. Contrast to the silver which came out shiny and new :)

There might be some types turf (upscale high-rent neighborhood newer soccer or athletic fields) where angling for jewelry in turf might be feasible. But for a heck of a lot of parks, to advice someone to "go dig low conductors till your arms fall off", can be folly.

Tom,

I've found a LOT of OLD cool low conductor stuff in newer parks(2006)...of course it was over active ground long ago.

That is where research pays off,should have paid more attention to it back in 74,what the hell did I know at 23 other than finding Silver Everywhere,not as many pull tabs...still to many though,and a lot more Gold rings.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like digging tabs. That means nobody has been searching for gold in that area. Like Tom recommended, I do it at a swimming beach for the most part. If you don't have many of those areas to choose from, and you have some detecting buddies, you might want to have a friendly competition with them. See who can find the most tabs before they find gold in a given period of time. Winner gets dinner paid by the others. Our local detecting club donates all their tabs to Ronald McDonald house, so that's a good incentive to dig tabs also.

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atpro gold can show up at all sorts of numbers, iv had it as low as 39, to as high as 71, and the sound is not always solid, which was something i didnt expect, most the time it sounds solid , but there has been a few times i was totally expecting a foil wrapper and out pops a gold ring. location, means everything, swimming holes that have been used for a long time are great, the atpro loves to swim : ) . i scoop up between 100-300 pulltabs, foil, nickels, sinkers,and god knows what for every pc of gold i find but it is awesome to see some yellow

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do it like this: Don't think that you have to clean out a park in one day, in one visit. I combed a park for 3 wks at 2 visits per week and ea visit was about 4 hrs. That's a good 24 hrs of SOLID grid work. I repeated lines after I finished and still found stuff after I walked a line TWICE. I pretty much pulled EVERTHING! or so I'd like to believe.

The first time I went there I was overcome and bombarded with signals. It would of driven me nuts if I pulled everything, so the first day I concentrated on obvious gold tones in the low 50's (also nickels), I tried to ignore penny tones ( 70 to 77 ) but would pull them if they were near the top. Obvious dimes and quarters were a sure pull. First day I got about 15.00 in change. No gold or silver.
Went back a few more times and changed it up a little. Pulled as much as tolerable regardless of my knowledge of tell tell signals. If it was solid I pulled it. That was a frustrating day. About a handful of tabs, torn aluminum and a ton of pennies. Then on the 3rd visit I got a blip, blip, blip blip tone at about 50. Figured it was two nickels side by side or tab pieces. Out popped a 14k gold wedding ring. BOOOYAAAHH... jewelry shop gave me 140.00 for it...
Went back several times after thinking I cleaned the place out. Only to still find coins.
You can NEVER find it all.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If finding gold rings is your desire: The secret is: Go to places where gold jewelry is more likely to occur. If gold rings are a person's agenda, then what-the-heck are they doing in junky blighted parks trying to be a hero and strip-mining all the tabs and foil out ? Instead you should go to where gold rings are more-likely to be, in the first place: Swimming beaches.

When I'm hunting inner city old park turf, I go for the old silver and copper. If I'm feeling like angling for jewelry, I'll go to a beach.

Well said.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes I think that people in different parts of the country have different views to what constitutes a trashy and a very trashy park. Maybe those that dig everything are not dealt in a trashy lark but think its trashy. Or am I just talking trash. (Don't answer that.)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I think that people in different parts of the country have different views to what constitutes a trashy and a very trashy park. Maybe those that dig everything are not dealt in a trashy lark but think its trashy. Or am I just talking trash. (Don't answer that.)

Exactly.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's some what relative but when you cant walk one step w/o getting 3 signals. Two are tabs most likely and one might be a penny or a bottle cap then yeah I'd call that trashy.
Biggest trash item I hate are the circular pull tops from (I am guessing) ice cream or candy. They sound off like gold. Same with gum wrappers. It's a gold falsing world my friend! I'd never discrim at or above a pull tab. You'll just be hunting loose change at that point.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there is a secret -- I can show you//in person..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there is a tonal difference between pulltabs and gold with certain machines -- the ear can hear it --if it knows what to listen for...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions