bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find so many pull tabs during my outings and I was thinking about throwing them away until I had a conversation with a fellow coworker. I found out the the Ronald McDonald House is collecting pulltabs to help with surgeries and so on. So even though I have not found anything worth while yet and I know it will come sooner or later, I have found something that will possibly be worth the world to someone in a hospital. Happy Hunting all and now that the rain has soften the ground up it will be an easier hunt on Saturday where ever I go.

Anyone in Lexington wants to turn in some pulltabs to help out let me know and I will pick them up and turn them in. Thanks,

Bernie

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi Bernie:

Here is some additional information on what you can also do with pull tabs.

Southern_Boy

What is the pull-tab collection program?

Pull-tabs, or “pop-tops”, from beverage cans are saved and donated to charitable organizations. The tabs are sold to a recycling company and the proceeds used for the benefit of the non-profit organization, in this case the Shriners Burns Hospital – Boston

Why collect the pull-tabs and not the entire can?

It is aluminum that has recycle value and the tab is the only pure aluminum part of the can. The can itself can by returned for the deposit (in States that have can and bottle deposit laws) after the tab has been removed.

How are the tabs recycled?

There are approximately 1200-1400 tabs in one pound. In order to have the most value the tabs are sorted after they have been donated and before recycling to remove foreign materials. If not sorted the recycle value drops by nearly 75%. After sorting they are taken to a recycler, weighed, and sold.

Who benefits from the program?

The children at the Shriners Burns Hospital – Boston are the beneficiaries of this tab collection program. The money collected from recycled pull-tabs is used to purchase non-medical items such as educational computer programs, and games, arts and crafts material, books, videos and playroom equipment, to name a few.

Who runs the program?

The program for the benefit of the Shriners Burns Hospital – Boston is run by members of the King Philip Shrine Club, one of fourteen local clubs affiliated with the Aleppo Shriners of Wilmington, MA. Aleppo is one of 191 local Shrine chapters located throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Panama. For more information about the Shriners and Shriners Hospitals visit www.shrinershq.org or contact the Shriners International Headquarters, 2900 Rocky Point Drive, Tampa, FL 33607-1460, (813) 281-0300.

Who collects tabs?

Tabs are donated by individuals, church groups, youth groups, schools, businesses, and the like. Donors come from all over New England, New York, New Jersey and beyond.

How are tabs delivered?

Tabs can be dropped off at the Shriners Burns Hospital – Boston at anytime, although we request that you call before bringing quantities in excess of 200 pounds to the hospital. If delivering to Boston is not practical please call the Volunteer Services Department at the hospital, (617) 722-3000, extension 4744, to discuss delivery options. (Quite often a Shriner in your area will be visiting the hospital and can deliver the tabs for you.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread