PulseStar 2 ,need more info from 2 month old Review Post

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need to know how the Pulsestar 2 does in mineralized Hot ground like in Arizona goldfields before I go and blow my life savings on a 3 grand detector? I will be looking for deep gold nuggets, 1 ounce and larger around 2-5 feet and hope to be looking for gold ore veins and specimens like golf ball size and larger. Again, I found one target like this already but I tossed it out not knowing that some gold nuggets are coated with black manganese oxide that has to be removed with nitric acid. The chunk I tossed was the size of my fist,OUCH. It went off with a BANG on my Whites MXT but the meter display was totally blank in Prospect Mode.I would guess that rock weighed 1-2 pounds. I have tried to go back to the area 4 times this year, in a muddy river, but the river is always too deep and them mudholes are no fun, and the rock ,well, I cannot relocate it. The river bed is VERY red limestone bedrock and hotrocks everywhere, small ,black ones, but liteweight, like maybe 3 ounces, not pounds, like that one was. These are all positive hotrocks that produce a coin signal.Can the Pulsestar 2 ignore these hotrocks and still get nuggets?
Also, I have read the Pulsestar 2 must be operated with the coil flat to the ground? How am I sposed to detect over rough ground and hillsides then? Which is the preferred small coil, the 10 or the 18 inch and what kind of depth can I expect with these coils on a golf ball to fist size nugget in hot dirt versus the 1 meter square coil? Are these coils all waterproof? Does the disc really work against junk iron?
I did a hear a guy in Kansas uses the PulseStar 2 to find meteorites. He found a 1400 pounder with it. The town he lives in was totally destroyed by a tornado this spring,Greensburg, Kansas?
Thanks -Tom,please mail me with details.I wouldn't mind meeting up with a PulseStar 2 user to see how it actually works in the field? Anybody know where I might find a used unit versus having to shell out 3 grand to Big K?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can visit the website at [[url]http://www.tb-electronic.de/prodinfo/ps2/infops2e.htm/url]

I read the info there and you have to read between the lines. The "coil" has to be level with the ground, so you won't be able to use it in the brush or big rocks. I also don't think it is waterproof. The picture showes two hunters using them on the beach. Note they will only find objects about 4 inches dia. So forget your golf ball sized nuggets.

I suspect the rock you found that had all that weight was also a meteorite. It would have been made up of many minerals including iron. Any metal rock you find you should scratch it to see what is below the surface. This is no real test of what it is, but to see if it is gold you need to test the scratch with Nitric acid.

IMO, save your money and get a real gold nugget detector from either Whites, Minelab, Tesoro or Garrett.

OP
OP
T

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, but

I already have a Tesoro Lobo ST and Whites MXT gold machines and they can barely handle the HOT ground like I encountered where I found the super heavy rock.Incidentally,I found that area with my map dowsing for gold which has worked on a number of other sites previously. Apparently,not all gold is yellow tho until it is refined. I am suspecting the heavy rock was a large gold nugget as in Peglegs lost black gold nuggets but it had that black coating on it. It did not look at all like a meteorite. It looked almost exactly like my the shape of my clenched fist.,no pockets like an iron meteorite would have had, no red spots like magnetite/hematite would have had.Too bad I didn't test it with the magnet on my rock pick.Guess I got too depressed at the time,figgering I should be striking it rich in bright yellow gold. A Mexican guy at work gave me a chunk of heavy black rock.He says his father mines this stuff in Mexico and it contains 6 ounces of gold per ton. My Lobo screams on this rock,air test to 16 inches easy. But it is black all thru the rock and if it had never been assayed,would still be in the ground. He says they have to blast it out of the ground. Have to keep an open mind on these things.

-Tom

M

Mike(Mont)

Hey Tom, the Ps2 works well in most ground, but the manual says there could be some that is hot enough to affect it. (need to detune). If searching for nuggets, you want a smaller coil probably the 10 or 18 inch (all coils are waterproof). Keeping the same coil height above the ground is important, but not that difficult. It doesn't have to be perfect height or angle, never been a problem for me. There are different kinds of hotrocks depending on the area.

Almost sounds like you should ask someone on a nugget forum. I just have to believe one of the better Minelab machines is going to be a much better nugget machine and be able to handle extreme ground. They make huge coils for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions