Pumpless Highbanker

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live we are not allowed to use gas or electric pumps in the river. I was wondering if anyone has tried to create water pressure without one?

I have no idea if this will work and have some scrap materials to experiment with. This is what I was thinking...I have a wide metal office garbage can that I am going to cut 2x4" holes into the bottom of. In each hole i will attach a sink drain. So the garbage can will then have 2x1.5" spouts coming out of the bottom of it to run hoses to a header box.

I work a pretty big river with lots of heavy flow. I would wedge the can in a channel between two rocks and let the pressure of the river push on the ports on the bottom of the can. The can would be around the same level as the header box, so it would be pretty level, not trying to push up hill.

image-2187404381.jpg

Im no artist as you can see and I dont have a clue if this will work or not

OP
OP
Island_Hunter

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should mention that I would need enough water to run a 10 stream sluice with gold hog's scrubber and razorback mats.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
This is old and proven technology. Old timers built long toms and used to divert the rivers. Picture a 100 foot sluice where anywhere along the legnth you could shovel into. Urs is a small version. The key will be preventing surging wile shoveling

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the drainage is steep enough and with the right hose diameters and lengths, you could use gravity to assist the water volume and pressure needed for the header box. Refer to "gravity dredge" for ideas.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Ram Pump

Howdy,
I saw a "Ram pump" in use years ago. It worked pretty well. I'm not able to tell you exactly how the things work, but try "googling"
Ram Pump. I just did and got pages of info. Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Phil

Terrible - One

Feb 16, 2013
Corvallis
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think using something like a jet flare in reverse would allow you to build up water pressure. I've been throwing the idea around in my head. Probably won't be long till dredging is illegal in oregon. We're going to have to get creative

OP
OP
Island_Hunter

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the inflow tank that will be in the current, upstream. Connected to the outlets will be 1.5" bilge pump pipe running 24' down to where my stream sluice is setup.

If I get enough pressure I will make up a header box with grizzly bars for faster feeding.

image-3486887941.jpg

image-1173530914.jpg

image-123949821.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done, simple and solid! The more water you can coax into the head will help though possibly the pipes will restrict the pressure. Then again, the old monitors had huge pipes at the top and small (in comparison to the large pipes) outputs that washed mountains away. I was thinking more along the lines of an earlier post of say a 20' to 100' of 3" id hose coming into your unit especially if there was like a 10' to 15' drop from the point the water enters the hose to where it comes out.

Hey you've got a good looking unit give it a try. Appreciate hearing back from you how the experiment goes, thank you.................63bkpkr

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
You should use bigger pipe at the intake box and go down in size as you get closer to the highbanker. Depending on the height above the highbanker or what is considered the 'fall', you maybe surprised at how much pressure you can build up with this method. This is how they did hydrolic mining back in the old days!

Good luck,

RGecy

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was also a ram pump, as mentioned above.

There are also simple, highly efficient foot pumps. That turns into a buskers show, though.

-Ammo

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go larger and then go smaller as it pumps up the psi greatly. Every foot of drop increases your psi,in the realm of 1 psi for every 5 feet of fall. EZ to do with solid pipes also-4" sewer pipe is perfect as flanged for connecting. Try to find a high pressure spot with 2 big rocks close together and stream forced inbetween. Gravity rocks my dredging world,that's a pic of a 4" system-John

Attachments

• 100_2454.jpg
    100_2454.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 926
OP
OP
Island_Hunter

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that works awesome! Unfortunately the grade of the river is quite minimal,but fast flowing. I am just hoping to stuff the box in between some large rocks where there is heavy flow pressure.

image-982814003.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Island_Hunter, nice looking place! Yes, fast water with shallow down hill angle. Will be looking forward to your comments after you've tried your box!................63bkpkr

John,
That looks like a 'hoser' picture. How long was that run? Looks like it would have afforded some high pressure.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30' of 4",coupled to 15' of 2 1/2' with 18 feet of drop and ouch ,it'll bite a bit. Hope your healing up ok Herb,all the best bud-John

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't think that would work for anything other than devirting water without some drop.You would need to use a female adapter where the tail pieces are because the tail pices are Tubular pipe size not IPS. They are different. you would need to lose the cross pices in the basket strainers. Something like that would work great setting up a sluice in slower water but as a highbanker it would not work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread