Puppy chewed jack off end of NEW headphones...Is it fixable?

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Yesterday I bought an Ace 250 and some headphones. I made the mistake of leaving the headphones in the box in front of our fireplace. When my wife got up this morning the headphones were out of the box and the jack had been chewed off the end of the wires by our 9 month old Beagle puppy. Does anyone know if I can buy another jack and rewire it? I was thinking of taking them to Radio Shack and asking them. Any other ideas, besides getting rid of the dog? Thanks....

Attachments

• 3-16x 007.jpg
    3-16x 007.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 517

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Dave in Kentucky said:
Yesterday I bought an Ace 250 and some headphones. I made the mistake of leaving the headphones in the box in front of our fireplace. When my wife got up this morning the headphones were out of the box and the jack had been chewed off the end of the wires by our 9 month old Beagle puppy. Does anyone know if I can buy another jack and rewire it? I was thinking of taking them to Radio Shack and asking them. Any other ideas, besides getting rid of the dog? Thanks....

You should be able to splice the wires no problem. (Unless) Did the puppy chew them off right at the plug? If so, then you probably should bring it to radio shack or even a electronics repair shop. I'm sure they could make things right again.

John

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
The plug is worthless. It's all chewed up and there are no wires left in it. The headphones only cost $15 so I don't think taking it to an electronics shop and having them fix it would be economically feasible. If I could buy a plug for a couple of bucks and rewire it myself that would be the way to go....

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
If it is the large (1/4") jack, Radio Shack should have a crimp-on replacement. Just figure out which wire is for the jack tip, strip the ends, crimp them in, and slide the cover on. Then give the pup a squeaky toy, and teach him how to dig for silver.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, simple, no problems. Just get new similar jack, take the original one wth you, Open up the chewed one, it unscrews counter clockwise, identify the 2 or 3 wires which will be colored ( probably red, black, and a bare wire.and draw where they are connected. Then duplicate them in the new jack by soldering them..

Topical Tramp

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id give the dog to Mona Lisa ;D and then buy another plug and solder it on.....

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Here's a couple more pics of the other side of our destructive puppy "Blue." We named him that because we got him in March about a week after Don Knotts died, and he had a dog by that name when he played Barney Fife in The Andy Griffith Show....

Attachments

• 3-21 017.jpg
    3-21 017.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 530
  • 4-7 019.jpg
    4-7 019.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 319

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Night Stalker said:
Very cute puppy! ;D :D :D :D ;D

Yeah, until it eats up your important cables....

oh wait...

;D kidding! it's a very cute puppy. One I'd be proud to own.

You can easily solder a new jack on your phones chord, like stated above.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Know how ya feel....

One of ours ate the cable to my 4" gold nugget coil...............

Now, if I can just train him to take its place.........

Diggem'

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If nobody else will tell you, I guess I have to...

That puppy, as cute as it is now, is going to grow into a humongous DOG! I know that for a fact. We have an ex-puppy and she is now 70 plus pounds of pain-in-the butt dog. She cost us $200 to get her fixed and another $200 to get her re-stitched at the emergency clinic when she ripped her stitches open. She is spoiled rotten and of course we love her so much we couldn't live without her now. How do these things happen?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute puppy, I use to raise boxers and they were constantly chewing on things they shouldn't. I now have an Eclectus parrot and I do not dare leave anything on the floor that I don't want her to chew on.

Murphy's Law when you have a pet, if it's important they will chew on it given the chance.

DSC01618.jpg

CopyofRuby.jpg

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
I agree with previous posters -- fix the puppy (at the right age, of course) and just replace the phones. For as little as it will cost you to replace them, it's less hassle than trying to repair the old ones. And then keep it out of the reach of Blue -- puppies need to chew, and will chew on anything available to them.

And I do seriously suggest "fixing" your puppy. There are too many dogs and cats in this country as is. All of our pets (one dog and three cats) have been spayed/neutered. (And it gives them an easier-to-deal-with temperment.)

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Your puppy is cute. BUT. What kind of dog is the black one you have posted. We have two medium sized black dogs and the one pictured looks close to what we have, we also have a miniature Weiner dog.
Our two medium sized dogs are recovery dogs, one was from recovery society, they look close too each other, but when you take a second closer look you can tell they are not sisters. We got the first one from the pound where people turn in dogs, and they also take some in the catcher gets. We got her when she was just a puppy, looking at her we thought she would be a black Lab. Which is what we wanted. Well she is more like a long haird beagle. When she starts barking she will go into a bay, sounds like a beagle. Her face looks like a beagle some what, her body is not beagleish and her hair is longer. Most likely a hinze-57 dog, but yours and one other i have seen some one walking a dog that looked like mine and yours, but I could not stop and talk to them.
Mine has white on her face, and paws and some on her chest. So any who,,,what type of dog is the one pictured?
Mike

Oh and i forgot to add. We had a beagle a long time ago, female and could not break her of the chewing habit. She chewed everthing she could get a hold of. We Finlay had to give her to someone that had beagles. Oh yes also they climb chain link fences. She use to climb out of our yard and we would not even know it,I put up an electric fence she tryed 3 times and then would not try any more.left it up for 8 months not turned on then I took the fence down and three months later she was climbing the fence again. That was the second reason we had to let her go. Lovable dog for sure, but to much chewing and wandering the hood.
Mike

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Re: If nobody else will tell you, I guess I have to...

Farmercal said:
That puppy, as cute as it is now, is going to grow into a humongous DOG! I know that for a fact. We have an ex-puppy and she is now 70 plus pounds of pain-in-the butt dog. She cost us $200 to get her fixed and another $200 to get her re-stitched at the emergency clinic when she ripped her stitches open. She is spoiled rotten and of course we love her so much we couldn't live without her now. How do these things happen?

Blue is 9 months old and weighs 16 pounds. His size and weight haven't increased in 3 or 4 months so we're pretty sure he is full grown. We had him neutered when he was 6 months old.

The black dog, Oprah, is about a year and a half old. She is part Lab and part ?. She has been spayed and is great buddies with Blue. They wrestle with each other and are always together. We got them both from our local animal shelter for $10 each....

Attachments

• 8-18 014.jpg
    8-18 014.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 249
W

wo2e

Dave radio shack has everything you need to replace that damage, maybe you should consider buying the soldiring gun and extra plugs. and what ever else you need to do future repairs.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An easy fix, take the jack with you when you buy one. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread