Purchase strategy

GunnerPop

Jun 4, 2016
Wilkes county NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally heard about the MAP pricing. I always wondered why every dealer's online price was the same. So... the Deus has a bunch of configurations. You can get a lower priced "starter" package (but would anyone want to use one for any length of time in this config?). You can also get one with the all of the things I'd want (11" coil, remote, WS4). Can you start with the starter and "buy up?" Or is there too much of a price hit buying separately? Thanks for any insight.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get everything you want up front and physically call the "supported vendors" that are listed on TN - sometimes things (prices) change from time to time, change down.

Also, unless you are going to buy the new small elliptical coil coming out with the new update, forget about the 11" and get the 9" coil, separates better in trash and that's what the Deus is all about, picking out the good stuff in all the junk.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get everything you want up front and physically call the "supported vendors" that are listed on TN - sometimes things (prices) change from time to time, change down.

Also, unless you are going to buy the new small elliptical coil coming out with the new update, forget about the 11" and get the 9" coil, separates better in trash and that's what the Deus is all about, picking out the good stuff in all the junk.

The minor (if any) depth hit you get by going to the 9" vs. 11" coil is far outweighed by the crisp response, target separation, and target pinpointing capability of the 9" coil. It just seems the 9" coil is optimized vs. 11". Whether or not that is actually true, that's been my experience.

How did I end up with both coils? I started with the Deus Lite configuration with 9" coil, WS4, and shaft. Loved it for about a month but really wanted to start writing and using custom programs + the pinpointing mode that only exists with the main control box. So I bought a full up config with the 11" coil. That gave me two usable detectors or a at least a backup if a coil or set of WS4's failed. (I used the control puck from the second WS4 with a set of 3rd party over the ear headphones). So if I was to do it all over again, I would get the full up Deus config with the 9" coil and perhaps get the 11" coil or a second 9" coil (or the forthcoming small high freq coil) as a backup down the road. One cool thing is if you have the full up Deus config (shaft/coil, box, wireless phones) and just an additional coil and shaft you have two usable detectors as the witeless headphones can be paired to one coil and the control box (using the built-in speaker or plugged-in wired phones) can be paired to the second coil and voila, 2 detectors! Good luck on whatever you choose to do, just do it with a Deus!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a deuce today. Should be delivered on Monday according to tracking. It's cheaper to get the configuration you want now. Let's say you paid $700 for the standard and elected to purchase the remote ($800), and the WS4 ($300?) that's $1,100 on top of the $700 you already spent. Even if you got a deal on both it would be more than buying that configuration outright.

I decided on the WS4 with Remote and 11" coil. The reason I went with the 11" is due to several videos I have seen on its ability to separate small objects in heavily iron infested areas...plus I plan on getting that updated coil for use in v.4 when it comes out anyway.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a deuce today. Should be delivered on Monday according to tracking. It's cheaper to get the configuration you want now. Let's say you paid $700 for the standard and elected to purchase the remote ($800), and the WS4 ($300?) that's $1,100 on top of the $700 you already spent. Even if you got a deal on both it would be more than buying that configuration outright.

I decided on the WS4 with Remote and 11" coil. The reason I went with the 11" is due to several videos I have seen on its ability to separate small objects in heavily iron infested areas...plus I plan on getting that updated coil for use in v.4 when it comes out anyway.

I haven't seen those videos. Are they saying that the 11" coil separates better than the 9" (hard to believe just based on physics and not consistent with my experience) or that for an 11" coil, it does a pretty good at target separation (true for the Deus in general when compared to other detectors - it has the highest recovery speed out there)? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen those videos. Are they saying that the 11" coil separates better than the 9" (hard to believe just based on physics and not consistent with my experience) or that for an 11" coil, it does a pretty good at target separation (true for the Deus in general when compared to other detectors - it has the highest recovery speed out there)? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Watch this guys videos. At the 5:30 or 6 minute mark you will see him dig up a non ferrous object that is only a few millimeters in size amongst iron.

https://youtu.be/tlhIP8zOdPg

In one of his other videos (I can't find it at the moment) he states that he exclusively hunts with the larger coil now because he is able to get the separation and get the added benefit of depth. He achieves those results through adjustment to the settings.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 seperates better than the 11 but the 11 aint no slouch either. You can buy the ws 5 for 1265.00 shipped or the ws 4 for 40.00 cheaper shipped everyday of the week . Is that what you paid jadocs?

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went with the wired headphones, 9" coil and remote to start. Then saved up for the ws4 headphones. I lost about 40 bucks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 seperates better than the 11 but the 11 aint no slouch either. You can buy the ws 5 for 1265.00 shipped or the ws 4 for 40.00 cheaper shipped everyday of the week . Is that what you paid jadocs?

Agreed. Though jadoc's follow up post and linked videos support the assertion that the 11" coil could outperform the 9" over all when both target separation and depth are considered, this has not been consistent with my personal experience. Like I said previously, I think the 9" coil is the better all around performer of the two though less depth than the 11" (though the 9" could outperform depth wise under certain really trashy conditions). I think there are no absolutes since performance really comes down to the real life situation at hand. Regardless, they are both excellent coils and you probably can't go wrong with either so it is not worth debating the point forever. If the small higher frequency coil was available today or soon, I would get the 11" coil now and follow up with the small coil when I could afford it because that would cover a wider range of performance between separation and depth performance. However, based on the latest information provided by XP to the public, I do not think the small coil will be available until 2017, even if they do release the new 4.0 software and the wireless pinpointer accessory late this fall. (Must be having difficulty tweaking the new coil to get the desired performance before release so its been pushed back nearly a year now). Therefore, with that very uncertain release timeframe for the new coil and if I could only get one coil, I personally would get the 9" now based on my experience.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with vferrari about the nine. I use my 9 99 percent of the time . really never even swing the 11 anymore. If you are hunting any trash I recommend the nine too. I heard the 6 in coil that is coming out is actually 6x10 in coil I thought it was gonna be 6x6 but dont beleive thats the case with what I saw the other guys talking about on another forum.So is the new coil gonna outperform the nine dont know.Man I was hoping it would be 6x6.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right, 6x10. I would like to see a smaller coil also, but like thst its elliptical. The other thing I can't get confirmation on is whether the new coil will be exclusively operated at high frequency (> 18khz) or if it is compatible with the existing Deus 4/8/12/18 khz operating frequencies. If not, that could be a deal breaker for me also.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smaller coils will most always do better in separation. in some cases with concentric coils its been said they can go deeper. atleast thats with the cz21.
I bought the 11" for my deus for more depth. The separation in trash with the 11" is still better than any other machine out there and not far off from the 9" deus coil. covers more area per swing, but doesn't get in the tight areas as well as the 9" of course. I say buy the whole set up WS4 or WS5. I got the WS5 and love it. If you buy the start bundle with out the remote you will miss out on some of the features of the deus that make i feel help make the deus what it is. Might be a learning curve in the beginning, but you'll love it once you've learned it.

OP
OP
GunnerPop

GunnerPop

Jun 4, 2016
Wilkes county NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input. I've decided it doesn't make much sense to get it piecemeal.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
However, based on the latest information provided by XP to the public, I do not think the small coil will be available until 2017

That's a bummer as I'm itching for a high freq. detector. I wish manufacturers would be either more transparent, or be silent. No teasers please. Whatever.

I might have to take another look at the Makro Gold and Gold Bug machines. Arrrghhhh, must control myself.... :BangHead:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I paid a little more. I called and left messages but by the time They got back to me I already made the purchase with a supporting vendor. Paid $1399 delivered.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just passing on what I read so dont put much weight in it but it was 10,20,30 kh on the new coil is what I read on another forum. I talked to Moe at the warranty place for deus and he had swung the version 4 and said it was very stable on the beach so cant wait to see whats up with the update.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just passing on what I read so dont put much weight in it but it was 10,20,30 kh on the new coil is what I read on another forum. I talked to Moe at the warranty place for deus and he had swung the version 4 and said it was very stable on the beach so cant wait to see whats up with the update.

Really looking forward to that coil

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I paid a little more. I called and left messages but by the time They got back to me I already made the purchase with a supporting vendor. Paid $1399 delivered.

Where is the $1265 price through? I'm getting $1399 as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread