purchased made a few weeks ago

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I purchased a divided casserole dish. After looking them up on ebay it looks like there isn't really much demand for these types of dishes. I've been thinking about putting it in the scrap pile but wasn't sure what type of metal it is. I put a magnet on it and it's not magnetic so I'm thinking it could be silverplated copper? I weighed it on my scale and it weighs about two pounds. If it is copper it will have a scrap value of around 6 dollars when I paid a dollar so It wouldn't be a total loss. I don't think it's aluminum because I've not seen aluminum tarnish like that. What are your thoughts guys. Here is a few pictures of the dish. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of silver plate is over copper. That's what it looks like to me. No marks on the underside anywhere?

OP
OP
L

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I've looked everywhere for a mark but haven't found anything. The only mark I have found is the glass dish that went inside is marked glasbake USA.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V8r-]f6zo\42kby45n5g
oops sorry, KeyScrambler, what I said is,
Ok, the cats confused here. :icon_scratch:

I don't see this as a "divided" server/casserole dish. It appears as a dish turned over on top of another dish.
The pic where the one is on top of the other one, what's that mark looking thing on the top?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V8r-]f6zo\42kby45n5g
oops sorry, KeyScrambler, what I said is,
Ok, the cats confused here. :icon_scratch:

I don't see this as a "divided" server/casserole dish. It appears as a dish turned over on top of another dish.
The pic where the one is on top of the other one, what's that mark looking thing on the top?

The mark appears to be where there was a sticker type price tag that was removed. It looks right to me as to what it is. Here is what the insert looks like or close to it- http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-TOWLE-S...216433?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item19d553b9b1

004_1347907431.jpg

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My local scrap yard buys these as brass.

I've scrapped a blue million of them in the past 10 years.

Most people at auctions have no idea what they are. It has been fun scooping up a box of them for $1, or buying them for 25 cents each at a garage sale.

I've had people laugh at me for buying these at auctions, but I laugh all the way to the bank!

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Technically, I think these are generally made from a brass alloy, then copper plated, and then silver, nickel or chrome plated. The copper plating is necessary so the top plating of silver/nickel or chrome can have something to attach itself to.

OP
OP
L

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan to scrap it anyways, why not rake it deep with a file to see what colors are underneath. Should easily let you know if it is copper, brass, nickel, or something else.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If you plan to scrap it anyways, why not rake it deep with a file to see what colors are underneath. Should easily let you know if it is copper, brass, nickel, or something else.

The local scrap yard will often test the metal on a grinder. Certain metals are supposed to have a certain color of sparks, but I don't know what those colors are.

Also, FWIW, I have had quite a few 'silver plate' pieces that were actually steel, with a bright chrome finish.

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to tell if it is steel is use a bench grinder on the back, if it sparks it is steel. If a magnet does not stick and it sparks it is stainless steel. If it does not spark it could be Copper, Brass, zinc, Aluminum, or a nickle alloy. Copper will look like well copper, brass will be yellow and anything else with be gray. I had a big tray once that was marked silver plate over Copper got like $18 scrap even though the handles were something else most likely zinc. It would not have sold for a $1 as a tray since it was worn badly.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mark appears to be where there was a sticker type price tag that was removed. It looks right to me as to what it is. Here is what the insert looks like or close to it- Vtg Towle Silverplated Covered Dish 4046 w Divided Glasbake Casserole Dish 558 | eBay
Thanks diggummup, I just wasn't seeing it there. LOL!
I don't know if it was brain disconnect or my eyes. My optometrist says I got "birthdayitis" of the eyes. Every time I have a birthday, they get worse.
I should probably go back to my old avatar, too.

cross-eyed-cat1.jpg

Thanks too clovis and all, good infos!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread