Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I learned a lot about buying a gun today online.

I picked out a new rifle I wanted. It had to be sent to an authorized local dealer for pickup and a background check then done. No problem I think. So, today I go in to get a background check before I buy the weapon.

No can do.... You have to have paid for the weapon and have it delivered to the authorized dealer then a background check is done. And here's the problem.....

The 3 online dealers I was looking at all said "No returns on firearms". So you have to plunk down all your money, have it shipped and then see if you pass the background check at the dealer. Who in the hell wants to plunk down $1500.00 dollars to see if they can pass a background check? Now I KNOW I can.... but now I'm hoping there's no hiccup within the Government on a $1500.00 bet!

So I ask the logical question... "What happens to the weapon you now have, I paid for but you can't give to me" nor can I return? I guess we'd just have to try and sell it for you... WTF!!!!! Who the hell wants that to happen.

So, I ask what if I buy it from you? No problem.... Well we'd order it (you pay) and it well be here tomorrow. And I then asked "What if I failed the background check then"...? There response was.... I guess "We'd try and sell it for you again, also". No difference....!!!!!

Is this the way it is? Or, what am I missing here?

EDIT: I was told that to do a background check they had to enter a serial number for a weapon. OK.... If you pass that weapon is linked to you. If you fail I don't understand why you can't get your money back from the weapon purchase (not the $10.00 background check fee)...?

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a gun dealer for over 20 years. You know if you can pass a background check or not. If you have something in your past, you know it. If you don't, buy it and it will go right through. If you do, don't take the chance...
Good luck! Oh, that's right its not luck, you know your own past...

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you don't have a felony, a court order, on probation, been convicted of abuse, been on a 5150 hold, you're probably OK.
Like MasterJedi said, YOU know your past.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My local dealer has ordered unpaid for guns for me. Only recall one maybe I put anything down on....maybe.
Guess our relationship should not be taken for granted, but I have not been told there would be no returns.
I would expect to have to pay shipping and a restocking fee if one was returned for nonwarrently reasons (unless seller claimed no returns as a policy) though I have sold on consignment there at the shop too and could again.
The last purchase ,after confirming it was alright with him , I paid for and had shipped to his shop. (The seller needs to accept him document wise as a F.F.L. holder by the way.)
Yes upon approval by me of the arm I then have to fill out a transfer paperwork . Rates for a transfer vary among dealers. As a Pistol licence holder I don't go through a background check each purchase as I'm already on a short leash so to speak...
I'd go ten percent down on a special order if my dealer could not sell it easy should I back out (which I would not) but we are , or were past that stage.
The last purchase I had sent to him , he could not locate the arm at the same pricepoint so his only profit was on the transfer fee.

My local shop owner I consider a neighbor and usually feed a neighbor first ,even if an accessory ordered can be done online cheaper sometimes.

Federal law requires a background check BEFORE a sale and transfer paperwork process following an approved background check..

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea... I know I'll pass. But what concerns me is the Govt. making a mistake and NOT passing me after I plunk down the money. But that's not an option beforehand now. Kind of like folks on the no-fly-list who shouldn't be. Years ago when I bought my first rifle requiring a background check I didn't need to BUY it first and then "see" if I was worthy....? That's what concerns me now.

This buy and then "see" if you can pass is putting yourself at risk. Again, I know I can/will pass but who the hell wants to put up and/or invest all that money if you don't even know? Why can't somebody find out first and then go shopping? Why does a gun serial number have to be entered to see if you can own the weapon AFTER you pay for it?

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy it from a private party.

Done.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local dealer has ordered unpaid for guns for me. Only recall one maybe I put anything down on....maybe.
Guess our relationship should not be taken for granted, but I have not been told there would be no returns.
I would expect to have to pay shipping and a restocking fee if one was returned for nonwarrently reasons (unless seller claimed no returns as a policy) though I have sold on consignment there at the shop too and could again.
The last purchase ,after confirming it was alright with him , I paid for and had shipped to his shop. (The seller needs to accept him document wise as a F.F.L. holder by the way.)
Yes upon approval by me of the arm I then have to fill out a transfer paperwork . Rates for a transfer vary among dealers. As a Pistol licence holder I don't go through a background check each purchase as I'm already on a short leash so to speak...
I'd go ten percent down on a special order if my dealer could not sell it easy should I back out (which I would not) but we are , or were past that stage.
The last purchase I had sent to him , he could not locate the arm at the same pricepoint so his only profit was on the transfer fee.

My local shop owner I consider a neighbor and usually feed a neighbor first ,even if an accessory ordered can be done online cheaper sometimes.

Federal law requires a background check BEFORE a sale and transfer paperwork process following an approved background check..

Today... I was told without the serial number of the firearm (included within form) I couldn't submit a background check. AND... I couldn't do THAT unless I paid for the gun first! I mean what the hell is going on? Who wants to see if you'll pass AFTER you pay for something?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Compare costs F.F.L. holders charge for background checks AND for firearm transfers.
2.[Federal law requires federally licensed firearms dealers (but not private sellers) to initiate a background check on the purchaser prior to sale of a firearm. Federal law provides states with the option of serving as a state “point of contact” and conducting their own background checks using state, as well as federal, records and databases, or having the checks performed by the FBI using only the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) database. (Note that state files are not always included in the federal database.)]
Interpret that how you will ..to me it says you don't as an F.F.L. holder sell before a backgroundcheck. Perhaps the transfer paperwork (not the same as a background check) can be done after a sale ,but I'll pay after, IF it is the dealers dime involved in the gun purchase from a distributor..
My dealer has ordered guns for me with no money down, or the gun prepaid for. Must be he trusts me a little by now.

3.When I pay for the arm online(my dealer can not locate one at a lower cost than me,it has happened on a scarce item) it gets shipped to approved F.F.L. holder (my same local gunshop owner) and we do the paperwork after it arrives. He gets the fee for the paperwork as consolation, and appreciates my trying to feed a local neighbor.
I've had him order things I could have acquired a couple bucks cheaper online myself ,but he looks out for my interests too..

So ..maybe ask a dealer to order the gun you want for you.
I tell mine what price I find on what I want and he sees what he can do on it. If his go to distributor has it he can do better, then check other distributors if required but I can check a couple too for availability, sort of. They can sell online and not to a shop and vice versa but consider customer relations ,sales people ect..
Sometimes availability is an issue...a distributor may be setting on one special variant.. or another gunshop or shops have them/it but that is the only stock available(it has been a strange few years).
Anyway..if my dealer can order it ,he would be obligated to do the background check on you before selling it.
A gunshy or previously bit dealer might wisely ask money down to order. I'd probably go ten percent if forced.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Today... I was told without the serial number of the firearm (included within form) I couldn't submit a background check. AND... I couldn't do THAT unless I paid for the gun first! I mean what the hell is going on? Who wants to see if you'll pass AFTER you pay for something?

Serial number of the gun? What, is the gun suspect?
If required on a "background check" that's unremembered by me... and weird because if you did not pass what good did the number do?
Now on a firearm "TRANSFER" (sorry , weary eyed/brained) which follows an approved "background check" , you need the serial number.
It has a history... from factory ,to distributor ,to F.F.L. holder, and now to you...all by it's tattoo/serial number.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serial number of the gun? What, is the gun suspect?
If required on a "background check" that's unremembered by me... and weird because if you did not pass what good did the number do?
Now on a firearm "TRANSFER" (sorry , weary eyed/brained) which follows an approved "background check" , you need the serial number.
It has a history... from factory ,to distributor ,to F.F.L. holder, and now to you...all by it's tattoo/serial number.

Again... I was told that to submit a background check they/I had to include the serial number of the weapon purchased. To do JUST a background check cannot be done without the number. To include the serial number you had to purchase the weapon first! WTF.....?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I read a few posts and jumped here to comment while the thought was dangling precariously on the edge of my memory! :tongue1:

What you read said "No returns on firearms", right? Yet you cannot take possession of the firearm unless and until you pass the background check and pay for it, correct? In other words, you cannot take possession of said firearm until you have both paid for the firearm AND passed the background check, thereby allowing the dealer to hand the firearm to you.

Now, I know this sounds an awful lot like some stupid thing called "common sense", but could this be a practical thought? If they had said "no refunds, regardless of outcome of sale", THEN it would be very plain and simple.

Might wanna read up on their fine print and see just what they mean by "No Returns".

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can pass the background check then don't worry about it. If there is any kind of Government "hiccup" it would just slow the process down a little, If there is nothing in your past to keep you from buying a firearm then you will pass. Nothing to worry about.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your worrying about nothing, background check is simple, ever convicted of a felony, ever charged with domestic violence, no? you passed.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off support your local gun store. Get to know the employees and the owner and you will find out that the deals get better and the problems you are worried about go away. A reputable gun store owner doesn't want to just sell you that gun. He wants your business in the future. If you think it's bad now let Hillary get into office!!!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What you read said "No returns on firearms", right? Yet you cannot take possession of the firearm unless and until you pass the background check and pay for it, correct? In other words, you cannot take possession of said firearm until you have both paid for the firearm AND passed the background check, thereby allowing the dealer to hand the firearm to you.

Now, I know this sounds an awful lot like some stupid thing called "common sense", but could this be a practical thought? If they had said "no refunds, regardless of outcome of sale", THEN it would be very plain and simple.

Might wanna read up on their fine print and see just what they mean by "No Returns".

Precisely. My thought exactly.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
When you buy online you take what is sent. Any problems, you are the one that deals with it. They will tell you nothing is wrong when it was shipped. As for the gun store, you need to have it sent to one you know. The background check isn't the problem, getting the gun delivered is. Much safer to buy at a gun show, a store you trade with or an individual that allows you to inspect and fire the weapon before the money goes bye-bye.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
In Florida we are told that we don't have a requirement to register our firearms.

When you go to the gun store and submit to a background check, why do they put the make, model, and serial number of the firearm on the background check that the federal government keeps?

Why not just do the background check without all the firearm information?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of private sales with no paper work to perform.....

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your worrying about nothing, background check is simple, ever convicted of a felony, ever charged with domestic violence, no? you passed.
Yeah, just ask Omar! Even being on the FBI's watch list didn't stop him!

ap_320289198943_custom-2cba19bccc6c75b0322d9140cb347e45a2c96bc2-s900-c85.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread