pure gold vs pure silver target

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can Google the answer, it is silver. Google conductivity of gold vs silver.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on your definitions. What do you mean by "volume"? Their specific gravity is vastly different. Size, weight, and surface area play a large part in the kind of signal you will get from any metallic target, Look at aluminum....a gum rapper vs a pull tab vs a soda can. A gold stud earring reads down by iron, a $20 gold piece is up in the copper cent range. In a similar size comparison (same shape, surface area, and orientation, but not weight) the gold item will read lower in conductivity than it's silver counterpart. Now signal strength is another issue. Then the frequency used will play a part in that.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
silver 1" cubic vs gold 1" cubic

A lot will depend on your definitions. What do you mean by "volume"? Their specific gravity is vastly different. Size, weight, and surface area play a large part in the kind of signal you will get from any metallic target, Look at aluminum....a gum rapper vs a pull tab vs a soda can. A gold stud earring reads down by iron, a $20 gold piece is up in the copper cent range. In a similar size comparison (same shape, surface area, and orientation, but not weight) the gold item will read lower in conductivity than it's silver counterpart. Now signal strength is another issue. Then the frequency used will play a part in that.
1 inch cube of gold vs silver ......thats the volume of the target as stated not the weight ......

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver wins hands down

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181116_130257.jpg

I found this 22k gold pendant in a sand volleyball court yesterday and it sounded like a piece of can slaw. It rang up just below a nickel. Basically the higher the purity of the gold the lower the tone or Target ID will be.

Happy Hunting

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver will have a higher VID and tone if that is what your Grandfather is speaking of. Also consider, a gold target of the same volume; it will have a mid or lower VID and corresponding tone. In each of these cases the "better signal" would depend on the operating frequency of the machine and other factors. If I was a betting man, I would assume that your Grandfather is speaking of tone.

GL & HH

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver = high conductor
Gold = low conductor
Both give clear signals If all parameters are equal.
Silver high tone
Gold low tone above iron.
I think you’re both right or both wrong. Lol

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
the gold bug 2 (freq 71 khz ) is made for low conductive targets ?????....i guess they should of called it the silver bug and i lost the bet then

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pure silver would be higher on the conductivity scale than pure gold, with pure copper between the two. All three would pretty far to the right, though.

If both targets are the exact shape and size at one cubic inch, I'm guessing signal strength would be pretty even. Not sure if frequency would have any noticeable effect since both targets (in pure form) are in fairly close proximity on the VDI scale.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not only is silver more conductive, but it retains the magnetic field, generated by the conductance, longer. That magnetic field is the key to being "seen" by the detector, and is why ferrous targets are more easily detected than non-ferrous, even though iron is less conductive than gold, silver, copper, etc.
Jim

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the gold bug 2 (freq 71 khz ) is made for low conductive targets ?????....i guess they should of called it the silver bug and i lost the bet then

Yes, the high frequencies of the Gold Bugs are meant for low conductors.....mainly gold. Why should they call it a Silver Bug since silver is a high conductor? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions