purple gang?

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
The Purple Gang is reputed to have killed Mich State Senator Hooper in Jackson co north of Jackson using a .25 cal auto pistol . Ran his car off the road and shot him. I used to know the spot but the highway people have messed it up. My father had a similar pistol and it was called in for ballistics, I have it now. Bob

hottea90

Aug 14, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard of the Purple Gang from and old employer, He said they had hideouts all over Long Lake, MI 7 mi from Alpena. He said they were known to use the old Long Lake Hotel on Maple Grove Rd. A Dr. now has a house on the property. Supposedly hidden loot or booze are still to be found around the area . :icon_pirat:

Kate586

Apr 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Bennett and the Purples in Clare, Michian

I noted the thread on Harry Bennett and his relationship with Henry Ford and the Purples. Bennett was Henry Ford's strong arm man and fought the unions. No one really knows what Bennett did, but if Henry Ford expressed a problem about someone or something, Bennett would quietly take care of it.

Harry Bennett did have a very private hunting lodge in Clare, Michigan. The lodge looks like logs on the outside but is actually solid cement (about 12" deep) to protect against. Bennett feared an attack by any number of groups. His private hunting lodge has a serious of secret passages and escape routes.

He was friends with the Purples who did come to his place from time-to-time. Bennett was also close to well-respected members of government and military.

What went on in this secret hunting lodge remains a mystery, just like Bennett. The lodge is still standing, though in disrepair, and is found at Lost Lake Boy Scout Camp. We conducted visited the old hunting lodge back in 2010. It is still a remarkable. place.

The story behind Bennett is fascinating and detailed in a story we did in our book, Haunted Travels of Michigan (Vol. 2).

Hope you find this of interest.

Kate

Ive heard alot of stories over the years and read stories about the Purple Gang used to hang out in Clare and Capone been there too . There is a resturant in Clare called the Doherty Hotel used to go eat there when I was younger lived in Coleman Michigan hear stories about the Purple Gang used to hang out there and Capone been there . I got a job when I was like 17 and been down in the Basement od the Doherty and seen a couple of circled hole in the sub floors above like it was used to be used for quike escapes let me tell ya after seeing those doug out floors my imagination really went wild thinking about Purple gang scrabling down in the basement when the heat came.

I do remember reading in some book that the Purple Gang and Capones Gang settled on bootlegging area of I 27 everyinthing east of old 27 was the Purple Gangs teritory and everything west of I 27 was Capones Territoty . Capone was to scared of losing to many men against the Purple Gang in taking control of Michigan and also slowing down profits of most of the Booze comming out of Canada via Detroit - Windsor. So these 2 groups came too agreement .

As far as Bennett Fords right hand man I have some copied interview that Bennet gave in the Detroit news and never mentioned Clare Michigan nor have Ive heard over the years of Bennet hunting up in clare like the Purple gang did this id really Interesting that Bennet was up there too.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger, back in the late 70's early 80's a buddy of mine told me about the last surviving member of the Purple Gang living near Mendon, Michigan [not two miles from my uncle]. In all my years of driving by his place I never did get to see him. Word was that he would shoot at you if you went by his place too fast. And he had a pond out back that he dynamited to get rid of the fish in it [and restock it] Now I realize that a lot of embellishment goes on when one is younger but I am pretty sure that he really was who my buddy said he was. I suppose I can stop by the neighbors and ask them. It's been a few years.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice place to hunt with some great stories to boot.. Good luck Go Blue!!!!!!!!..

metalbobber

Greenie
Jun 1, 2008
Haslett, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Minuteman, BH Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes LonesomeBob I know that location too, on M99 NE of Springport. Used to be a gas station on a curve near there. A side note to this... when I was young my dad owned a property in Albion that was adjacent to where one of the Fleischer brothers lived (they ran the Albion PG gang). One early morning we were awakened by a commotion at that house, it was surrounded by state police and their business downtown was closed down. Off they went to Michigan State prison. Rumor has it that the killers of Sen. Hooper were let out of that prison and returned there after the deed was done. The PG also owned a bar west of town where meetings were held.

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
So, say the Purples, or the Partnership executed someone....

Would the body have been stripped of valuables before being dumped or buried?

I would assume the Italian gangster type back then would have worn jewelry, maybe gold teeth, money clip, tie tac, cuff links.

Just wondering how I should set my discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread