JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's what I was thinking WW1. No date on it. It says on the back For Millitary Merit. Then the guys name below that. If it weren't for a pool they put in back in the 70's were I found it I may have found more. It took up the best part of the yard to.

HH Jer

netsinker

Mar 15, 2005
The U.S. military only issued purple hearts during WWII about a year after Pearl Harbor. During 1941-early 1942 it was issued for valor. In WWI, wounds were represented by a stripe on the sleeve of the uniform.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for that history note man. I appreciate it. It's cool to know everything you can about a find. If there's a place on the net to put something for i.d purpose this is it.

Thanks again to everyone. When I get the time I will still try and trace this family down. I just been to busy with my kids and stuff lately to even find the quiet time needed to use the phone and contact people. I'll keep you all posted when I achieve that goal.

HH Jer

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Almost every found medal was lost by some kid playing soldier and the kid usually got his ass spanked for losing it. This being an heirloom piece you might actually find the kid who lost it and bought it with a whipping. exanimo, ss

O

Oddfello

Jer, here's to a great find from a fellow Burgh-ian. I I were you I would contact the local VFW post who could probably turn you on to your local Purple Heart Society. They would more than likely be thrilled at the prospect of returning that to a family member and would have much better resources at their disposal. Makes for a great story and will put some very nice light on the hobby.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. I'll take these tips that are given and put them to the test when I get the chance. Been real busy lately. If I could return it. It would cap of a amazing story possibly. I'll keep you guys posted on it.

HH Jer

J

JimAZ

No matter what you do on the road to returning it, take notes, and take pictures. Treasure magazines and manufacturers love that kind of story. Were you using a Whites when you found it? If you write the story well, and include a picture and some nice words about your MD, you might get $200 from them. Links are available on their webpage to submit a story.

I'm fascinated in what I've read of this story so far.

--
Jim

Treasure Master

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2004
The Mother Lode Gold Country of California
Detector(s) used
My Fully Loaded "Warbag" Of Books, Maps, Equipment and Supplies For My Well-Researched Lost Treasure Hunting Adventure Projects, Consists Of The Following Metal Detectors Used Extensively In The Field: [1.] White's MXT TRACKER E-SERIES [2.] GARRETT ACE 250 [3.] GARRETT MASTER HUNTER 7 A•D•S VLF/TR DEEPSEEKER [4.] SPARTAN 175 BFO (Built By Garrett Electronics Inc. For Karl von Mueller's "Exanimo Establishment" Of Segundo, CO) [5.] THE ACHIEVER III VLF/TR (Built By Garrett Electronics, Inc. For Gene Ballinger's "In The Step's Of The Treasure Hunter" NEWSpaper Of Mule Creek, NM) [6.] GARRETT Hand-Held POCKET SCANNER PERSONAL CHECKMATE [7.] White's GOLD MASTER 66-TR/D 4B, SERIES II [8.] White's BUCCANEER BFO
Jeremy, and for the benefit of those who don't know, I've included a website to educate you on the PURPLE HEART, along with providing you with some additional information on a few other things.

Always remember to do your homework thoroughly, first, before you EVER proceed with your plan of attack.

The only hero here, is that brave soldier who was killed in action during WWII.

I think his family would really appreciate the return of that PURPLE HEART, pronto.

Nuff said.

Exanimo!

POPEYE

"The decoration known as the Purple Heart (authorized to be awarded pursuant to Executive Order 11016) may only be awarded to a person who is a member of the armed forces at the time the person is killed or wounded under circumstances otherwise qualifying that person for award of the Purple Heart."

"Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) Home Page - Combat Wounded Veterans"
http://www.purpleheart.org/

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I hope you find the rigt family, especially if that was awareded posthumonously. A family momento like that is priceless, and one of the best MD stories you could read about would be to have it returned after many years to a son or daughter. I'm sure they thought it was lost forever.

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Use www.whitepages.com if you want some additional options for family members nt

good luck

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, I have to admit I have been pre-occupied with alot of other things right now and haven't taken the time to track down the owner's if even possible. I will eventually take the time to find out who owned it. It will probably end up being a this winter project. Been lost for 60 70 years a few more month's probably won't hurt. Just haven't had the time to look through phone books and look up contacts on the net. That stuff takes quiet time that I don't have with my 2 younge boys. Wife works all day so finding that time is tough.

I'll get around to it here. If I can return this item and cap off a long lost family medal. It would make for a great published story maybe in W&E magazine. Might send it to the white's forum and see if they would accept it for a story on there forum. Couldn't hurt like JimAZ above stated. I may even get some thing from them. I'll keep you all posted on this one. It's going to be a slow process it looks like.

HH Jer

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
It was common for troops to send home stuff like that, so he could have been wounded and then later killed...

OR

His father could have had the same name and served in WWI

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks twister, I would say a once in a lifetime find.

HH Jer

SoulDancer

Oct 13, 2007
Gurnee, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Wow! I have one of my grandfathers 2 PH's, from WWI. As a family member I can tell you they hold more sentiment than you will ever know. Nice find, would love to know the outcome!

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
The Purple Heart medal as we know it was created in 1932. Is is true that in the early years of World War II it was (very rarely) given for valor, but that quickly dropped out of practice considering that there was the Silver Star and later the Bronze Star, which was created in 1944. For the most part, it has been issued for WIA and KIA.

When the medal was created, World War I veterans were eligible to put a claim in for the award if they had been wounded. The same was also done for the Silver Star, which was also created in 1932.

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Wow..of all the things to find you found something that is extremly important! Dont know what your schedule is like but definitely do your research first...I would check the papers and see if you can locate the person in the obituarys. You should also be able to check records at the court house on the family name and should be able to gain access to census records.

I think another source that you might want to contact is the VFW. Alot of those guys would know the importance of that medal being returned to the right person or to their family.

Good luck and I truly wish you well on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread