Puzzling Artifacts

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been finding some very puzzling artifacts in a remote area in south central Alabama that has not been previously known for the type of things we are finding.

Among them are copper spearpoints, copper knives and copper beads that are identical to the Copper Complex artifacts.
Also found among these items are very detailed and intricate bannerstones and greenstone gorgets and celts. There is no mound or any other significant Native American artifice in the vicinity.

I have been searching and trying to find any evidence of copper weaponry being found in the southeast, and so far have come up with nothing. These are not the same type of copper artifacts found in Moundsville, Lake Jackson or Etowah. There is no pottery on or around the site, even though we have also found hundreds of flint and stone projectile points. We have found stone mortars and possibly cooking bowls, which dates the site to pre-pottery, which is most likely late Archaic or early Woodland.

I would like some direction as to any copper finds in the southeast that are not indicative of Mississippian Culture or associated with the Southeast Ceremonial Complex. I was involved in the excavation of the Lake Jackson burial mound, so I am very familiar with that type and style. This is something completely different and thousands of years older. View attachment 1409144 View attachment 1409145 View attachment 1409146

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to post this on the North American Indian forum on this site, lots of expertise there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread