Puzzling history

YukonCornelius61

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We live in a 100+ year old farm house, I have only been able to trace the original owners back to 1860. It seems was a large family, with 600 acres, in 3 blocks, so I assume was 3 different families farming together. The area we live on was owned by a "Widow *******" in 1883. There is a family cemetery about 100 yards from our house. We didn't have any Civil War battles in our town, but there were two training camps, and several hospitals. One of the training camps was only about two-three miles down the road. I have wondered if they could of done training on our road, as it was here then?... I found a shell casing from a 1866 Henry .44, in our back yard, and about 50 yards away, about 6 feet from the road, I found two more Henry shell casings with a harmonica reed. Oh, I also found a hook, I was told was a horse blanket hook, that was about 6 feet from the road.

I have just started metal detecting around the house, for the last two years. I don't get to often, I have bad back problems, can only hunt about an hour at a time. So far these are the oldest things I have found, that I know of...but I have found part of a horse shoe, a mule shoe, a wheel cap from a Ford model T, the only coins I have found are from the 1940's and newer, and of course lots of junk...plow parts, pieces from a coal burning stove, nails, spikes, belt buckle, brace buckle.

Attachments

• treasure.jpg
    treasure.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum! :hello: Old hinges are neat, and fun to display. I like the Ford cap, too! Relic hunting is great therapy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread