115 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2digger: You can get a stainless steel tip kit from RTG which includes a preformed stainelss steel tip which has been formed to the shape
of your scoop and predrilled for riveting. They even supply all of the rivets which you will need to attach it inside your scoop basket.

This will significantly extend the life of your scoop as the blunt aluminum tip will wear away or frag over time.
Also, it is much easier to dig with it as the tip is thinner. The only downside is that you will have to be more careful with your scoop in surges
as the thinner tip will be less forgiving to your shins.

A wider basket is preferred for shallow water when using a DD coil as it is more difficult to pin point with.
Also, you need the scoop to rapidly drain as it is difficult to hold you position, I have found that a scoop with lots of 1/2 inch diameter holes works best
I prefer a stainless steel open basket design as it is easier to see into the scoop to retrieve a target, and you can drill more holes into stainless without weakening than aluminum.

As I started out with 20 degree angles on my scoops, it took a little time to get used to using a straight up (90 degree angle) handle. I prefer the straight up handle for shallow water hunting: more stable, less effort to sift, provides more leverage to pry rocks, easier to retrieve targets lying on hard bottom(s) which cannot be penetrated.

The trick for digging deeper holes is to mount a lift assist high on the end of the handle facing you. This way you can easily control the angle of the scoop to dig without having to bend forward.

Hey people just wanted to ask this. I'm planning on buying one of these 2 scoops. Of the 2 which one will handle better in long term durability. Both are RTG's, aluminum and 5" diameter buckets on both but one is 7" long and the other is 9" long! I'll be using it on dry sand and on wet sand/water hunts. I'd say 90% of beaches I usually hunt are free of rocks. So opinions are more than welcome! Highest budget is 120! The 5x9" I could get it like for 118 shipped and the 5x7" like 98 shipped....

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2digger: You can get a stainless steel tip kit from RTG which includes a preformed stainelss steel tip which has been formed to the shape
of your scoop and predrilled for riveting. They even supply all of the rivets which you will need to attach it inside your scoop basket.

This will significantly extend the life of your scoop as the blunt aluminum tip will wear away or frag over time.
Also, it is much easier to dig with it as the tip is thinner. The only downside is that you will have to be more careful with your scoop in surges
as the thinner tip will be less forgiving to your shins.

A wider basket is preferred for shallow water when using a DD coil as it is more difficult to pin point with.
Also, you need the scoop to rapidly drain as it is difficult to hold you position, I have found that a scoop with lots of 1/2 inch diameter holes works best
I prefer a stainless steel open basket design as it is easier to see into the scoop to retrieve a target, and you can drill more holes into stainless
without weakening than aluminum.

As I started out with 20 degree angles on my scoops, it took a little time to get used to using a straight up (90 degree angle) handle.
I prefer the straight up handle for shallow water hunting: more stable, less effort to sift, easier to pry rocks, easier to retrieve targets lying on hard
bottom(s) which cannot be penetrated. The trick for digging deeper holes is to mount a lift assist high on the end of the handle facing you. This way you can easily control the angle of the scoop to dig without having to bend forward.

as it drains more rapidly with less effort as you can hop it up in short steps
all the time draining throumore numerous holes in the bottom of a scoop than at the end.

Thanks for all the great info and I see your point! For now $120$ is the highest I can go. On ebay I've seen the big basket versions for like 99$ and up. Of course u have to provide the handle for it. The thing is that all those scoops are located in the Ukraine..... Couple of miles from here to there! Any one has bought one from them?? Heres the link:
Sand Scoop "Standart 10" Metal Detector Tool from Genuine Stainless Steel | eBay

pt=US_Metal_Detector_Accessories&hash=item4d1cb58163

Sand Scoop "5 Granik 10M" Metal Detector Tool from Genuine Stainless Steel | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread