Quadrantid Meteor Shower Tues Night/Wednesday Morning

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Here is another night time "find" although it was not exclusive to Iowa.

Normally, the weather for the Quadrantids meteor shower is so bitterly cold that I have never went out and tried to photograph them. Tuesday night however, was not too bad as far as the cold so I decided to give them a try. I drove about 50 miles west of Des Moines to get to some fairly dark skies although I could still see a small light dome coming from the city lights to the east. I got my camera all set up around midnight, set it for thirty second exposures, locked the cable release open and let it run. I got back in my pickup, turned the heat on and enjoyed some coffee and the internet for the rest of the night. I got out a couple of times to change the area of the sky the camera was recording and of course, to watch the meteors. It was a little slow until around 3:00am and they started picking up quite a bit.

The first picture is from the midnight to 3:00 period. I only got one in the field of view but it was a bright one. I saw another one that was a whole lot brighter than this one but it was off to the south. It also was not a Quadrantid as it was moving a different direction than a Quad would have been.

Quad2.jpg

This next picture is a combination of all of the 30 second images I took between 3:00 am and around 5:00 am. I had pointed the camera to a different part of the sky after the moon went down at 3:00. I managed to get four meteors in this stacked image.

Quad1.jpg

As dawn approached and the eastern sky was starting to slowly brighten, I pointed the camera off to the darkest part of the sky in the west. I only caught one meteor in that last hour but it was a beauty.

Quad3.jpg

It was a gorgeous night with the moon lighting up the first half of the night and the coyotes and farm dogs challenging each other throughout the night.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Some awesome stuff Tom :thumbsup: The funny thing is, about 4:00 this morning the first thing I seen as I walked out in my driveway was one falling to the north, kind of a cool way to start the day. That must have been a nice way to spend the night, I used to like fishing at night partly for all the things you could see in the sky.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really spectacular photos! Thanks for sharing. Around here, there is so much light pollution that I didn't even bother. It's good to know that someone was able to enjoy such a spectacular event.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
That's awesome Uncle Tom!

I need to get the Crib notes from you on what settings to put my camera at to do something like that. I know the camera's capable but I'm not! :BangHead:

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Sprig, I mounted my camera to a motorized telescope drive so it would track across the sky with the stars. I was using a Nikon D5000 with an old manual Nikon 24 mm f2.8 lens. I wanted to catch as much light in a split second as I could so even the faint meteors would show up. But I didn't want to overexpose to the point of background light in the sky becoming over-saturated. I also wanted to shoot 30 second exposures so I could just set the camera, lock open the cable release and let it run. Longer exposures would require the "bulb" setting and I would have to sit right beside it and open and close the shutter all night long. I set the aperture to wide open, f2.8, with the thirty second exposure time. The only thing left was to test a couple of shots at different ISO settings to get the background sky right. Again, I wanted as high an ISO as I could use to enable faint meteors to show up. 800 ISO was turning the sky a little milky at 30 seconds. 200 ISO made for a nice background sky but the fainter stars weren't showing and I knew that I would miss all but the brightest of meteors. ISO 400 made for a nice dark background and also showed a lot of the faint stars. I then locked the shutter release cable open and walked away and the camera just kept on taking 30 second exposures all night. When I got home to the computer, I stacked all of the images from each of the three areas of the sky that I shot during the night. Stacking images will bring out fainter stars since they did record a small amount of light on the chip. Since no light from the background sky recorded at the chosen settings, it remained black even after stacking. So basically, I got a two hour exposure on the stars, very little exposure on the sky, and the meteors, since they are there and gone in a second, had to be bright enough to show at those settings or I wouldn't have recorded any of them. There were several smaller, fainter meteors that passed across the field of view that simply did not record.

Long winded, aint I? In a nut shell, I was using a 28mm lens set at f2.8, 30 second exposures with the ISO set to 400. That could change from night to night and also depending on what lens I'm using or what subject I'm trying to record. And then of course there was the computer processing afterwards.

If you're shooting wide angle, you don't really need to have the camera mounted on a motor drive as the stars will not show much movement in 30 seconds. Longer exposures or longer focal length lenses and it would become a problem.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the tip Tom. Now, time to get out and experiment! A wide angle lense is already on the wish list. Thanks again!

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Far out Tom thanks for shareing many enjoy your spaced out adventures keep at it your a star yourself.

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Thanks, it has been a few days since I've been on here. Here's a shot I got a few nights ago, just as the clouds were thinning and creating a beautiful halo around the moon.

halo4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread