Quality of the Ace 250

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
Is the Ace 250 all it is cracked up to be?? How much plastic is it made of? and finallydoes the larger 12" coil do as advertised?? I recently purchased an MPX and am truly sorry it is a pile of crap.? First it was delivered with a broken lower arm and my fist time out the replacement arm was broke by grandkids (my fault) and all I was able to find was an old silver spoon and lots of false readings no matter what adjustments were made.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the 250 is pretty solid. it does have a plastic control box housing but all garrett machines do.mine has held up just fine in the field and has performed flawlessly.sorry,i have not tried the new coil yet.i will say however that garrett is not known for making false claims.i would expect the new coil to be just fine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett's Ace 250 is made as good as it can be for the money. An there lies the catch, you get the quality you pay for -USUALLY. The White's MPX is a good machine and more useful for different types of detecting, and it is make well too. However when you order from other than a dealer you don't know how UPS is going to handle packages and accidents happen too. At a dealer you get to inspect it before you pay your money and you carry it home. But when you have to order mail order it's shipped an if it arrives operating funny it's cause it might have been handled roughly. They are inspected before shippment at the factory as manufactures don't want you to get a broken one.

HH,
Sandman

T

tallpaul

like the sandman says you only get what you pay for,, only sometimes do we get a bit more than what we pay for,, ive heard alot of good reports on the garret ace 250,, but what works for one, dosent always work for another, by this i mean depends what your hunting for and the area your in ie ground mineralisation, this goes for all machines really,, ive looked closely at the 250 and would expect it to be around the $200-$250, margin and no more, here it is ?250, and for sum thats quite enough to pay, unless your really going to get serious and go for more control,. but like i say ive heard they are ok machines,.

Z

ZumbroKid

I have heard some negatives on this machine. I would believe it is as good as they claim if Charles Garrett hunted full time with one. Which is something i doubt. The only way to do well with a low end machine is by using good tactics and hunting good locations.

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I've spent lots of time hunting with this machine. It does an amazing job at parks and other locations where the finds are 4" or less. It is much more difficult to intepret for targets that are deeper. Or a better way to say it would be that despite many, many, many hours of practice, I haven't been able to successfully target and pinpoint anything at a depth more than 4". If you are seriously going to hunt old homesteads, or other old sites, where you would expect the targets to be deeper than about 4-5", I would fork over the money for a higher end detector. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread