Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be better to get him a newer model so he would stay in the hobby. I like Tesoro's a lot but the Fisher F2, thru F5 are very good too and he won't need to upgrade for years. Getting him the Quantum is like giving your son a mini van.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved my QXT when I had one. If you can get it cheap, I think it would be a great way to get your son into detecting.

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be better to get him a newer model so he would stay in the hobby. I like Tesoro's a lot but the Fisher F2, thru F5 are very good too and he won't need to upgrade for years. Getting him the Quantum is like giving your son a mini van.

There's nothing wrong with an older model machine. White's makes excellent detectors even though they might be out of date. I'm new to the hobby and I use a DFX which is going on 14 years old now. Heck, the first car my Dad bought me was a 1986 Mercury Lynx. This was in 1996 when I was 17. It was four speed, had no stereo, no AC, the driver's seat had to be held up by my basketball because the locking mechanism broke. And to this date, this was my favorite car I ever owned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread