586.3 KB · Views: 601
Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
This may be an "old post", but still going rock...lol.
On a side note: I was a pre-teen swimming in Thunderbird Lake and found a quartz point..(among all the "Little Kings" beer caps). My Dad was doing a swimming pool job there with my uncle (putting in Barry Switzer's pool). Both of them said it was a fake because Indians didn't make quartz points. I believed them and eventually lost the point. I wish I had it back now being older. It was a fun summer around that red-stained lake...(I got to swim in Switzer's pool before he did...lol).

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweeeeet one there!!!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before they put Lake Thunderbird in lairmo, a surface survey was conducted by the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey where they recorded at least 38 prehistoric sites within the lake project area. Close to 10,000 artifacts were collected (no idea on how many were picked up by private collectors), so a wonder you didn't find more than just the quartz point!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before they put Lake Thunderbird in lairmo, a surface survey was conducted by the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey where they recorded at least 38 prehistoric sites within the lake project area. Close to 10,000 artifacts were collected (no idea on how many were picked up by private collectors), so a wonder you didn't find more than just the quartz point!

Wow that’s a lot of artifacts , did they open any type of museum or anything for people to see them.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most were not really cool things you'd care to look at much, lairmo; lots of flakes I imagine. Some are probably on display at different places, but as it usually goes most are probably in a box someplace far from public view.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Like I said I was pre-teen and not really interested at the time...man I wish I would have been into this hobby as a child....

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Thanks RGINN! I will look into getting that book. Hopefully, it won't take me three years this time, lol. I will remember to check out that site on Tom Steed and will let you know if that grinding basin is still there. I really appreciate your help! I will keep in touch about anything I find as a result of your information. Have a great holiday season and hopefully I will text you soon!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice! There is a source for the material in the area?
I have several light colored Quartzite points that are a compressed sand stone. I can source the material used to an ancient quarry where there is rock art and all. Site was acquired by a conservancy for protection and further study.
:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread