Quartz back , gotta finish

rls2040

Sep 25, 2013
His reduction on top turns left at the old 0.42' point and continues to top left edge.Left side looks like this,from point has straight lines top and bottom,top runs 0.70 to angle point,bottom runs 0.82 from point to angle ,left side is more finished and inverse beveled. If you lay this bugger on it's bottom with it pointing toward the point,to me it looks like a mans head,lying on his right side,however since there is another triangle ,a 0.18 equilateral ,so if my man idea is even close this dude has a 0.18 sided triangle that is 0.05' deep in his hair ,it's about 0.35' center to center from what I call his eye to seriously deep hole in his head.

<CALayer: 0x17f7b960>

Attachments

• image-1444853699.jpg
    image-1444853699.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image-425460445.jpg
    image-425460445.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2176261748.jpg
    image-2176261748.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3543512933.jpg
    image-3543512933.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1004361987.jpg
    image-1004361987.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2604996776.jpg
    image-2604996776.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2709641477.jpg
    image-2709641477.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4028049160.jpg
    image-4028049160.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1369977378.jpg
    image-1369977378.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1186761150.jpg
    image-1186761150.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2427888570.jpg
    image-2427888570.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-86746556.jpg
    image-86746556.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2256650384.jpg
    image-2256650384.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4272960731.jpg
    image-4272960731.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3621839416.jpg
    image-3621839416.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image-4044017578.jpg
    image-4044017578.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rls2040

rls2040

Sep 25, 2013
In the first two pics it appeared the guy had points and a knife sticking out of his head,freaked me out at first but since I don't believe much supernatural stuff,I looked for more reasonable answer and found it,it is shadows on the triangle walls. HH rls2040. Posted a pic and my granddaughter Courtney Czentnar,she finished her first year of school and since they gave her a full ride scholarship to play softball,those folks at Anderson University in South Carolina must be really smart,she was Freshman of the Year for South Atlantic Conference.,her team won regular season Championship and later won the conference tournament. Sorry guys shouldn't put that kind of stuff on here but granddaddy"s don't have follow many rules,lol. HH rls2040

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-1266157286.jpg
    image-1266157286.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 103

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking young lady, I'm a granddaddy myself and I just got a shirt that says( guns don't kill people, granddaddy's with a pretty granddaughter do!):laughing7:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to ask what this is about the forum is : North American Indian Artifacts . Not rocks in my yard thank you .

OP
OP
rls2040

rls2040

Sep 25, 2013
South fork, bet you can't find a rock like the one I found in your yard or anywhere else.This site seems to be governed by a rule that says if it isn't pretty and so technically correct,according to our Overstreets,it iis automatically deemed a rock.With absolutely no prior knowledge most anyone would recognize a pretty one . We should be as interested in.all the things they worked on,trial and error for millions of years.i live right on the Fall Line.Piedmont to the north Coastal Plain to the south.In this area during the Mid Archaic the natives were following the food,traveling light,moving often when they had depleted the food source in their current camp,they got their light and easily mobile belongings and moved. During this period Quartz was the raw material of choice , Dennis B. Blanton discussed in a paper he helped write,evidence demonstrating how raw material procurement strategies had become increasingly localized over time,such that by the Middle Archaic,lithic assemblages contained minimal amounts or no non-lccalraw materials.He also noted that in the Piedmont region,tools were not curated and showed signs of expedient manufacture..I am a Registered Land Surveyor and my rock has three perfect equalateral triangles that are about one half inch deep into the host stone.The lines are perfectly straight which I find incredible to do on Quartz .It is a rock but someone spent many an hour to make part of this large stone represent something important....looking at pics on here is suspect at best on unusual things because you have to hold in your hand and just fiddle with it,if it is authentic tool you will find exactly how to hold and the working edge will be right where it has to be,I have one that every time I'm play with it I have find out again how to hold it,it just looks like a mess of randomly natural curves and corners ,etc. Sorry I am over acting on your post ,everybody that's on the site has and knows what a Pickwick point or knife looks like, let's look and learn about things we are not sure about , no challenge in ID ing another Morrow Mountain,let's figure out what they were,lots will end up being the same tool as a polished or ground one,it will just be ugly in comparison . HH rls2040

<TTStyledImageFrame: 0x19599980>

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When Native Americans made effigies, they left no room for doubt. What you are showing here is not an artifact and is most certainly not an effigy. Besides wasting everyone's time with a rock that is no more then a rock, and being in denial with something that is very obvious to experienced collectors, this is what you're doing:

Why It's Perfectly Normal to See Jesus in Toast - NBC News

And that's the extent of it. You would be far wiser to accept the educated opinions of those who recognize it far better then you do.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting for about 60 years and what I see is a big chunk of quartz . I think there's a rock hound forum . Or maybe one on wild mushrooms lol .

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are websites dealing with these types of imagined effigies. However, very few people take them seriously, believing there is simply a % of people who fall under the spell, so to speak, of this type of pareidolia.

Archaeology of Portable Rock Art

Not a genuine effigy to be found anywhere on the page. It's a mystery to me why this happens to this degree, despite very real efforts to educate...

Below, same thing, much larger scale. The Old Man is gone now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
OP
OP
rls2040

rls2040

Sep 25, 2013
Well you guys go find a 20lb lump of Quartz that has three equilateral triangles ,all cut into stone 0.05' or more,all sides are straight and each one has lines that are all 0.20 to 0.18'.Below the triangles is a flat smooth area that is cut into stone 0.07',at the end of the smooth area is another elongated three sided cut into the stone,shaped sorta like a squared off boat paddle,at the bottom of that cut it comes out 0.07',square to the cut and across a silky smooth flat area that comes out to original surface of stone.from there and across original surface 0.21' to a point,from the point the side opposite the side with triangles is straight on top side and is 0.75' in length.Thevline from the point on back side is straight and 0.82' in length,the area between these is smooth and shiny and inversely beveled to the opposite side.the back side shows no work.On the triangle side it has been reduced 0.02'from the point of the triangle just above the flat area that runs down to the boat paddle cut.the reduced area averages 0.21' wide from the edge and meanders down to the bottom of the paddle cut.It is becoming obvious to me that picture isn't worth much to ID from,this piece is eat up with obvious worked edges ,the smoothed areas look like grain in wood and are smoother than I would have thought you could accomplish on Quartz .You guys have some strong opinions about someone's knowledge based on a few pics...rls2040

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but your triangles were not cut in the stone. They are where other pieces of crystaline stones were that fell out. Probably Galena crystals or Pyrite.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but your triangles were not cut in the stone. They are where other pieces of crystaline stones were that fell out. Probably Galena crystals or Pyrite.

That's it.. That's all..looks like some nicely terminated big crystals

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that's the work of Mother Nature.. Those are naturally formed pyrite crystals

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well you guys go find a 20lb lump of Quartz that has three equilateral triangles ,all cut into stone 0.05' or more,all sides are straight and each one has lines that are all 0.20 to 0.18'.Below the triangles is a flat smooth area that is cut into stone 0.07',at the end of the smooth area is another elongated three sided cut into the stone,shaped sorta like a squared off boat paddle,at the bottom of that cut it comes out 0.07',square to the cut and across a silky smooth flat area that comes out to original surface of stone.from there and across original surface 0.21' to a point,from the point the side opposite the side with triangles is straight on top side and is 0.75' in length.Thevline from the point on back side is straight and 0.82' in length,the area between these is smooth and shiny and inversely beveled to the opposite side.the back side shows no work.On the triangle side it has been reduced 0.02'from the point of the triangle just above the flat area that runs down to the boat paddle cut.the reduced area averages 0.21' wide from the edge and meanders down to the bottom of the paddle cut.It is becoming obvious to me that picture isn't worth much to ID from,this piece is eat up with obvious worked edges ,the smoothed areas look like grain in wood and are smoother than I would have thought you could accomplish on Quartz .You guys have some strong opinions about someone's knowledge based on a few pics...rls2040

Well, one thing you might do is remind yourself, first of all, that there are hundreds and hundreds of years of combined hunting/collecting artifacts experience represented by forum members. And they all recognize that your rock is 100% natural. I can tell you that were you to show the rock in person to 100 experienced collectors, then 100 experienced collectors will tell you it's a rock. Can they all be wrong, and only you are right? Photo identification certainly has it's pitfalls, such as judging authenticity for example, but some rocks are so obviously not artifacts, that a photo will do fine, and your photos do fine! Let go of your preconceptions and recognize that you are mistaken. Otherwise you'll be picking up rocks all the time and incorrectly identifying them as artifacts. You can do that, but you will be alone in your opinion and you will never find another collector who will agree with that opinion. If I live to be a hundred, I will never truly understand why some folks are so determined not to be educated on a subject and why people with a mistaken interpretation so staunchly refuse to acknowledge experienced opinions when they are offered, but instead chose to let it go in one ear and out the other?

You wrote:

"You guys have some strong opinions about someone's knowledge based on a few pics...rls2040"

There's the mistake. It isn't based just on your photos. It's clearly based on decades of collecting experience. Experience recognizes what the photo displays. Show someone with no experience with artifacts, and they might agree with you....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread