Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, could use some opinions on this. Have been searching a series of plowed fields over the last 2 months, most of which have been producing some nice points, scrapers and a hammerstone or two. Recently granted permission to search the furthest field which has not been turned over in years. Dug about 6 test holes looking for quartz flakes but every hole came up dry. Moved about 50 feet beyond the woodline { which in fact used to be part of the cornfield many years ago} and began digging quartz everywhere. Flakes, chips, chunks, some pieces appear to be in natural form and other pieces like many micro thin flakes not so natural looking but regardless, it is everywhere and heavily concentrated. Move 50 feet back into the open field and nothing. My question is, is this indicative of a quartz cobble workshop, or place where they made points and other tools?

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. When I first started hunting I had a few fields where you could see when it was plowed darker areas from charcoal that were the actual camp sites / Now after many years on the same fields everything has been dispersed by farming and spread out.No more darker areas.
What we learned though from a site was that if inhabited long enough the areas with the charcoal were the areas that produced the least amount of points but the highest quality. Outside of the camp area were all the flakes,broken tools and worn out knife/arrowheads. Bottom line if they stayed there and length of time they kept the camp pretty debri free. Like when you hunt rivers and creeks you hunt the ancient trash pits.
Just because the flint or material in raw form is abundant there does not mean it was necessarily used. You can have two identical fields side by side. One full of flint chunks and cobble the other smooth as glass with hardly any debri showing. Most times the smooth filed will produce the finest points that were most likely lost the chunky field had the brokes and worn out tools. It was there living room and they also liked it smooth and clean.
Funny when you know a field you will rush to the different sections that are the hot spots first and work out from there.
Sounds like what you are finding in the tree line is where they discarded their trash. Trash to them treasure to us.
Quartz is the hardest material to read and also to work. I think it was only used when there was not a better or more plentiful material available.But they made some amazing pieces with it. Took more skill in my opinion to work quartz. Sounds like the trash pit is in the tree line. Get a sifter and try it.I am not an expert and this is all just from my observations.
Hope you hit the mother load !

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we will be sifting very soon. The landowner did say that many years ago when the now wooded / overgrown area was open cornfield, he found many points right there in that very area we dug hundreds of quartz flakes and chips

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back today, sifted in same spot, tons of quartz again. Moved 50 feet in all directions and the quartz became less and less. Moved uphill into the woods to the first level area, about 200 feet away. First test hole produced a large quartz point, in great shape. Opened the hole up further and began sifting, some quartz flakes and a lot of flint chips. I think we are close!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see the point

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy for you. It looks like your perseverance paid off. Good luck !

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium