Not open for further replies.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are literally thousands of grinding rocks around these parts but I have only ever seen this one in Quartz
grindingrock.jpg

grindingrock2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all known examples!!LOL!Well as said you obviously only know what you have read in a book,where are you?I tell ya what,we will meet up,and you pay me $1 for each one I show you all on private property that I guarantee no Arcy has ever seen,and you can see with your own eyes that they certainly are not all perfectly round!You obviously have no clue how they were made!If you were to go to that park in that link you conviently picked two round ones from,you would see for free that the long used ones are oval...on that point whirlpool pot holes are not oval!!!!That is against how they are formed!Oval grinding holes are from a long pestlethat is not lifted,its dragged around the perimeter of the hole...hell you can go to Yosemite Park and watch demo's on them doing that!!See I know all this for fact,didnt read it!Never paid a dime for it!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger no one is doubting your reputation. Most of the members hunt artifacts as seriously as you hunt a nugget or search for color. We can agree to disagree and the one thing about artifacts that is always true is if we all agreed we would not be learning and having serious discussions. That being said I will say this. We will keep it civil and respectful in our discussions. Everyone has a right to their opinions in an open forum. Agree?:occasion14:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask a question that I always wondered. When they used these type of mortars......how did they get the food out of the holes when they were done mashing them? I know they did use these types because I have seen them in the past and I am not doubting anyone. Thanks, rock

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN what you dont understand is I have collected Indian artifacts longer than anything.....including gold,as have four generations of my family.We have donated over 100 baskets and over 1000 arrowheads back to the tribe.....I dont guess,I dont post anything NativeAmerican nor will I,you will just have to trust me on that,maybe sometime if your ever out this way you can swing by and see a little of my "small",collection....I venture to say you might be a tad impressed and will for sure realise I am not some rooky rock picker.I posted this because it is unique and not often seen,I guarantee what I have stated it is,without a doubt.If you choose to disagree thats your perogative but just answer the questions I have posed I feel they may open your eyes.If I didnt know what these were I have no problem asking questions.

Rock,the meal was simply scooped by hand or other instrument,great question ...which brings up another fact....with these deep holes the top had to be elongated to allow one to get the "scoop",down to the bottom.These holes were passed down from generation to generation,I have seen where the bottoms were worn through

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a person who really cannot stand criticism. Well let me tell you a thing or two since you love telling everyone you know what it is. This a natural act caused by Glaciers. Quartzite is made of silica and sandstone. Making the breakdown process much easier. I have attached a National Geological survey to show that your area was littered by these stones. By the pictures you have submitted of the area around that boulder i am inclined to believe that is glacier left stone. I want you to read the paragraph where is says, FEATURES AT GLACIER POINT OFTEN MISTAKEN FOR EVIDENCES OF GLACIATION, then I want you to look at the pictures that follow that paragraph and the littered location of this glacier mass which would cover pretty much of all of California and then say is it possible this is one of those stones?? I do not doubt the fact that your family may have come across a true mortar but this stone is not one..........................GTP(Chris)

USGS: Geological Survey Professional Paper 160 (Glacial History of the Yosemite Valley)

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Kruger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen it can be discussed, even disagree without an attitude. Please keep it civil and not confrontational...

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no others in the entire county?You dont answer my questions to you,so I am done.Ya can lead a horse to water but ya cant make em drink.When you have seen a slab chamaca rock with your own eyes,come back and we can talk.To the folks that can appreciate a cool artifact,and know what they are looking at here is one.Good luck with your continuing education Chris....you have a ways to go yet....at least in Western culture :thumbsup:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no others in the entire county?You dont answer my questions to you,so I am done.Ya can lead a horse to water but ya cant make em drink.When you have seen a slab chamaca rock with your own eyes,come back and we can talk.To the folks that can appreciate a cool artifact,and know what they are looking at here is one.Good luck with your continuing education Chris....you have a ways to go yet....at least in Western culture :thumbsup:

Wow I guess you know it all.......I am always willing to learn a new thing but with this it is common sense. I just added proof. Yet you read the whole thing and understand how Quartzite breaks down. I guess you knew that the rain found its way to the shallow part of the stone. Then started breaking down through a process of freezing and thawing and rain. The Quartzite is made of Sandstone and Silica. Heck you are a panhandler you should know that. What happens when you ad common vegetation to the mix. Like ferns, pine needles and other things that would add more acidity to the mix. I guess that breakdown just might happen a little faster in a area of the stone that is shallow. I mean it is only Sandstone and Silica. You have added no proof but harsh words towards anyone who contradicted your statement. Show me proof that shows me the same type of free standing stone with the same type of asymmetrical oblong circle holes, where it is peer reviewed that says it is Native American, then and only then will your words mean anything. Anyone can make up a background such as yours yet with everything you have stated not once have you shown me where this type of stone was used by Native Americans. The link you posted showed true Mortars and had noticeable wear around the well and at the well circle. These do not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread