Quartz Knife, Awl, and pottery disc

JohnDee1

Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E779EA85-5615-4B94-973A-77E14AEC769E.jpeg
image.jpg
As the title says, here are some artifacts from the Mississippian site I hunt. First point from the site as well. By the curvature of the tool and proximity to faunal remains, I reckon it’s a knife.(Might be wrong) Awl is neat as well, might be deer antler. No idea what the disc was used for, but it’s burnished at the bottom. Also found my first flake from the site. Thanks for reading.

Upvote 13

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The disc is interesting, not sure what it's purpose was either (if it had a purpose). The quartz piece appears to be a broken tip to a knife, it looks to be a old break at the bottom. Nice finds regardless đź‘Ś

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool.
Please post pictures of both sides.
The bone awl (white tail antlers do not have hollow centers)is a nice find.
The small Quartz point looks whole to me. Others see it as a broken tip.

It’s always struck me as odd that as the contact period approached, small Quartz triangles (a style that spans multiple periods in my region)became progressively clumsy and crude.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool.
Please post pictures of both sides.
The bone awl (white tail antlers do not have hollow centers)is a nice find.
The small Quartz point looks whole to me. Others see it as a broken tip.

It’s always struck me as odd that as the contact period approached, small Quartz triangles (a style that spans multiple periods in my region)became progressively clumsy and crude.
Regarding late quartz points, I'd imagine that's because they weren't relying on hunting and gathering quite as much as they used to. In earlier times, groups were nomadic, hunting and gathering along the way to and from good lands and waters. Later, there was more permanence, settlements kinda-sorta, with more agrarian pursuits. Less trading for better lithic. Just a hunch.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Regarding late quartz points, I'd imagine that's because they weren't relying on hunting and gathering quite as much as they used to. In earlier times, groups were nomadic, hunting and gathering along the way to and from good lands and waters. Later, there was more permanence, settlements kinda-sorta, with more agrarian pursuits. Less trading for better lithic. Just a hunch.
Maybe so. I have a hunch too. That there were many large group sicknesses and catastrophes that knocked out periodical cultures and the skills with them. It’s hard to understand how the stone age (though diverse) lasted so long on one continent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread