Quartz Point - Just like the day it was made

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on a creek bank while running in a 5K last week. A friend of mine told me that is a testament to how slow I run! Not a nick or break anywhere it isn't supposed to be. How the heck did they do this with quartz?

Quartz Point.JPG

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of them got very good at it. I've seen and I have Some very well made examples. What looks like a stem is pretty tiny.. What type do you think that is?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hhahaha slow runner looking at rocks. I know that feeling. We ised to joke when finding quartz that they were practice points for the young ones cause if they could knapp that stuff they could knapp anything. Nice eye ball find on the 5k.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding that I would of came in last place, lol

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy I'm not sure what type it is. Seems obviously a contracting stem sort of like a Bascom (Hale). But what you see has no imperfections. It is what they meant to make (no breaks or chips I mean). You can probably ID them better than I can. What type would you give it? I have some others I have found that I will post soon.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill take a guess for ya. By the shape I would say a knife.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy I'm not sure what type it is. Seems obviously a contracting stem sort of like a Bascom (Hale). But what you see has no imperfections. It is what they meant to make (no breaks or chips I mean). You can probably ID them better than I can. What type would you give it? I have some others I have found that I will post soon.

Where are you located? My first guess would have been morrow mountain.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be the last person to disagree with someone from North Carolina on North Carolina points.
But I didn't know Savannah River To be a contracting Stem point. Is there a type Of Savannah River that is? Otherwise I know them to look like these.

SavannahRiver2sa.jpeg

ForumRunner_20130218_093910.png

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, TimeWaster! I admire your priorities. You may not have won the 5K but now you have something tangible to show for it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes are on the ground anytime I am near dirt. I find some crazy things. Gatorboy, Morrow Mountain is a good guess too. I have a bunch of Morrow Mountain pieces from this area. I am in Suwanee, Georgia (North of Atlanta) and the property is directly in the Brevard Zone. Perfect spot for ancient people to mine hunks of high quality quartz and knock it down to something manageable before heading back to camp for a rain dance. LOL I also find a lot of what I think are anvils on this property. Basically, a big piece of quartz with a crude nutting hole in the middle. Not like the nutting holes you see that look like they were drilled with a diamond drill. I mean rough, but obvious. When you find 20 of them, you have to wonder. I'll get some good quality pics together and see what you guys think.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost sounds like you just described a bola stone..."dimple stone"

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking forward to seeing your quartz items you have found. I have some I am still trying to decide what they are myself. Maybe I will see some you have in my collection. I live in North Ga thanks, rock

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy, what was that "dimple stone" used for? Cool, but I am talking about a big flat piece of quartz with an indention beat out of the middle. Maybe to hold an object in place while you flaked it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh..gotcha. that stone was used in a bola.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread