Quartzite Knife/Spearhead ?

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
:dontknow:Found this knife/spearhead (?) several years ago, I believe it is quartzite, it appears to be serrated but is very coarse and as you can see by the pic's it is not really pointed, but most interesting its stem is fluted and it is fairly large at 5 and a half inches. It is not typical of any knife/spearhead I have or have seen. Not sure what to make of it , any thoughts you have are very welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• 10-5-09 021 300K.jpg
    10-5-09 021 300K.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 607
  • 10-5-09 022 300K.jpg
    10-5-09 022 300K.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 627
  • 10-5-09 024 300k.jpg
    10-5-09 024 300k.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me dont know either ??? Maybe thirty7 will drop in and have some thoughts. He knows your area pretty good.
TnMtns

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
I would say that is a "quarry blank" - a roughly worked piece fashioned at a source of stone for transport or trade, and ultimate reduction to a finished artifact. Several years ago there was a site near Exton, Pennsylvania (now obliterated by a housing development) where large quartzite blanks like yours were readily found, albeit almost always broken. The site had local outcroppings of quartz, but not of quartzite. The quartzite was brought in as quarry blanks, and then fashioned into points and knives, some of which finished pieces we would find as well. Some of the quartzite could be identified as coming from the area around Reading, Pennsylvania ( a good 40 miles or so from this site), and I suspect the rest of the quartzite also was carried in from some distance.

artorius

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably. I remember Dr. Gramly talking about a site he'd excavated that was, literally, a flint preform factory. Part of a wide-ranging enterprise where blanks were carried in that a handful of expert knappers turned into preforms/"cache blades" that were transported out for distribution. It was pretty late in pre-historical time, as I recall. But it wasn't paleo so I didn't pay too much attention . . . unfortunately. It's written up as one of his site reports.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Me dont know either ??? Maybe thirty7 will drop in and have some thoughts. He knows your area pretty good.
TnMtns

The material is hard to read, but I'd have to agree that it's a blank or possibly a crude tool / tool preform. As far as knowledge of that area I have alot to learn, but have soaked in alot of experience and wisdom from the two fine gents above me here...always learning.

OP
OP
Beuwulf

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Thanks for the responses, As I recall I also found several other blanks in the same area but were far cruder in form. They did not resemble anything other than 6" x 8" elliptical shaped slices of stone about a half inch thick. This one seems to be worked within a couple of stages of actually being something.
Though I would not know how to prove it I'd guess it is probably from rock native to the area. There is one particular shore line that is full of this type of rock which is within a mile or two of where this piece was recovered.

I do vagely recall reading about the Dr Gramly excavation in PA which has me wondering, what did I miss when I found this one ? Only one way to find out, right...

Again thanks for ALL of the responses, it has helped to solve this long standing mystery,

You Guys Are Great!! :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Beuwulf

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
uniface said:
I think the excavation was in the upper midwest -- Kentucky, maybe.

Uniface you may be right, after reading so many of these reports they have a tendency to run together at least in my head. The report that addressed the Rhyolite quarry and the dispersion of the material over the region is what I recall. If I'm thinking correctly I ran across it in a link in "Chesapeake Trailways", though I've not looked at in awhile I felt that was one of the better publications that did a pretty good job of tracking lithics and other commodities thru the ages at least over hear on the bay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions